Tiberius

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The christian book, or is it books?

So in other words, you don't know what you're talking about again.

Just checking.

Maybe you can give us the over/under on how many minutes Obama's press conference takes place today before someone from NBC asks him to chime in on the Duck Dynasty topic.

From Prof. Ann Althouse:

Meanwhile, some liberals are making the predictable narrowly legalistic point that freedom of speech has only to do with rights held against the government.

This is a point I've strongly objected to over the years, most obviously, in debating the liberal Bob Wright (see "When did the left turn against freedom of speech?" and "[W]hat free speech means in the context of saying Roger Ailes needs to kick Glenn Beck off Fox News").

Why is the left taking the narrow view of the concept of freedom? It's a general principle, not something you save for your friends. Like Paglia, I remember the broad 1960s era commitment to free speech. There was a special zeal to protect those who said outrageous things. Today, we're back to the kind of repression that in the 60s seemed to belong to the 1950s. What the hell happened?

{snip}

And the attacks are unfair. He didn't compare "being gay to bestiality."

He put homosexual conduct — not the status of being gay — into a category of sins that included "sleeping around with this woman and that woman" as well as bestiality.

We don't see the heterosexual men who enjoy multiple sex partners getting hotheaded over Phil Robertson. Why not? They're not organized to make political demands at the moment, but they haven't had to fight for the right to fornicate recently.

So those who are organized and in the middle of a movement are taking Robertson's bait (or answering his duck call or whatever). It's "anti-gay." The "bestiality" business is forefronted.

This is the political game of the moment.

http://althouse.blogspot.com/

Why is the left taking the narrow view of the concept of freedom?

The progressive left doesn't know about, nor does it care about, the concept of freedom. The ONLY reason they are yelling and screaming and blowing this up is because America has front-row seats to their ideology imploding for all to see under the direction of this WH and Obamacare, and they'll take any topic they can to make you look the other way. Period.

Watch the press conference today. Millions of people were just given a blanket exemption to a law that no one wants, insurance companies are left hanging, people are entering the holidays without health insurance specifically because of a lie they were told by BO, and he will inevitably leave for Hawaii right after his DD soundbite so he can collect more LGBT donations on his way through California.

The progressive left doesn't know about, nor does it care about, the concept of freedom. The ONLY reason they are yelling and screaming and blowing this up is because America has front-row seats to their ideology imploding for all to see under the direction of this WH and Obamacare, and they'll take any topic they can to make you look the other way. Period.

Watch the press conference today. Millions of people were just given a blanket exemption to a law that no one wants, insurance companies are left hanging, people are entering the holidays without health insurance specifically because of a lie they were told by BO, and he will inevitably leave for Hawaii right after his DD soundbite so he can collect more LGBT donations on his way through California.

If I were an American in the middle east I'd be awful nervous, especially if I were in the Benghazi area. He commented about Islam and terrorists as well, and we've already seen what a simple YouTube video can cause those weak willed bastards in that area to do.

I bet they do lose business. The show won't suffer but I'm sure A&E is worried about the other shows they have. You know how corporations want to protect the brand. That's what this is. This show could go to another venue and be just fine.

That's just it. Liberals have worked, for decades, to deny business owners the right to selective association. A&E no longer has the right, as defined by civil rights legislation, to sever association with anyone because of their beliefs.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

No different than Paula Dean, really.. You have the personal freedom for the most part to say what you want, but Networks and advertisers don't have to support it nor the show... Most people don't want to hear it, entertainers don't want to promote it, and that is fine with me... But to make this some big political referendum on Free Speech and Freedom in General is, well, entertaining...

Now this is some pretty funny stuff! The Gay-stapo? lol

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2013/12/20/glaad_lethal_enforcers_of_the_lefts_tolerance_mob_121018.html

That's just it. Liberals have worked, for decades, to deny business owners the right to selective association. A&E no longer has the right, as defined by civil rights legislation, to sever association with anyone because of their beliefs.

Well, that would be an interesting law suit!

Who cares. Phil is "old school" like Archie Bunker.

Let the old man say what he wants.

Not everyone has been hit by the pussification yet.

Ummm...Archie Bunker was a fictional character created to mock people just like Phil. So they are not the same thing

Well, that would be an interesting law suit!

Hardly. It's the same principal under which it is illegal to fire someone for expressing their Muslim or Jewish beliefs; and in a much more tangential way, a similar principal to being unable to deny someone service because they are gay/black/etc..

No different than Paula Dean, really.. You have the personal freedom for the most part to say what you want, but Networks and advertisers don't have to support it nor the show... Most people don't want to hear it, entertainers don't want to promote it, and that is fine with me... But to make this some big political referendum on Free Speech and Freedom in General is, well, entertaining...

You're going to hear the free speech lines come out anytime something like this happens. What really irritates me is the idea that these network dipshits decide they need to suspend a guy from his show for expressing a not PC POV. I'm not going to argue that it's a first amendment issue, I'm going to argue that the execs at A & E are a bunch of pissant liberal douche bags using their position to punish people for saying anything outside of the approved POV. Is there a constitutional violation? Not in my estimation. But it would sure make me feel good to find out the A & E executives responsible for this decision were relieved of their jobs immediately and with cause for putting their petty bull **** politics above their professional responsibilities.

Which part do you not understand? A&E shouldn't air a show about "traditional family values" of backwoods hicks, then feign outrage when those values are expressed.

Why shouldn't they? They are a business making money and they hit a gold mine here. Nothing wrong with that. The situation got alittle beyond their control but they are still laughing all the way to the bank

You shouldn't post so much. There, how do you feel about being told what you shouldn't do?

Generally speaking many who watch the show do so because the Robertsons proudly show off their love of god, family, county and guns. The viewers who identify with the show which has made it so popular identity with them.

These are generally the type of people who are going to feel that their own beliefs and convictions are personally being attacked and have lots of anger towards AE.

I think its pathetic to constantly hear about tolerance diversity and respect. Those hollow talking points only apply to the whiney left bitches. Tolerance only counts when it agrees with their agenda.

Where is the outcry to be tolerant and accept Christians for their beliefs? Its ok to mock Christian s because they don't fit the left's agenda.

!@#$ gladd hypocrites and AE

Edited by drinkTHEkoolaid

Why shouldn't they? They are a business making money and they hit a gold mine here. Nothing wrong with that. The situation got alittle beyond their control but they are still laughing all the way to the bank

You shouldn't post so much. There, how do you feel about being told what you shouldn't do?

I knew you couldn't read beyond the word "shouldn't."

You're going to hear the free speech lines come out anytime something like this happens. What really irritates me is the idea that these network dipshits decide they need to suspend a guy from his show for expressing a not PC POV. I'm not going to argue that it's a first amendment issue, I'm going to argue that the execs at A & E are a bunch of pissant liberal douche bags using their position to punish people for saying anything outside of the approved POV. Is there a constitutional violation? Not in my estimation. But it would sure make me feel good to find out the A & E executives responsible for this decision were relieved of their jobs immediately and with cause for putting their petty bull **** politics above their professional responsibilities.

If A&E had a bang-up hit show that featured a Muslim Family that said in an episode that said Christians were against Allah therefore heathens (Stupid example because I think of one specifically, but you get the point I am making) for example... but were otherwise peaceful tax paying Americans.. and A&E pulled the father of that show for his anti-religious comments.... would conservatives be stepping in for the free speech, freedome of associaion defense they have set behind Mr. Robertson? Would Mr. Jindhal come out and speak on thier behalf?