Wide Receivers?

Mike Evans will run a 4.6 at the combine (a strict nuetral site)......that is not fast.

fast at the combine is 4.4....no more than 4.5 for a WR.

draft a Left Tackle at #1......play the rookie at RT and move pears to LG. that helps EJ with more time and CJ/Freddy with more space.

it's all about time & space

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you give me 3 time stamps that show drops.

I don't see one.

I don't know what it says about you that you couldn't see one drop.....but I had some time so here are all of them....

Basic Drops:

3:00

5:30

6:37

8:49

11:38

12:46

13:35

Potential catches contested by DBs:

0:05 Dropped

1:30 Caught but stepped out of bounds.

2:45 Dropped

3:51 Dropped

7:05 Dropped

7:40 Dropped

10:28 Caught

10:58 Dropped

11:10 Dropped

11:29 Dropped

13:06 Caught(Not contested, but under heavy pressure)

Nearly every catch that he made was where he had good separation(or was wide open). That is a very valuable skill to have.....but like I mentioned in my earlier post, it seems like we have several WRs who can get open and catch the ball already. We are after a big strong receiving threat who can go up and use his size and strength to come down with the ball. Evans clearly does not do that in the 6 games on that video.

Edited by Dibs

We don't need a high draft pick receiver if we don't have the right guy throwing him the ball. We need to use that high pick on another QB. Receiver is one of our strongest positions on the roster. A starting three of JOhnson, Woods and Goodwin is very formidable. Graham, 7 11, and Easley are good depth guys. I'd rather see them draft a gang changing "weapon" at the tight end position.

I don't know what it says about you that you couldn't see one drop.....but I had some time so here are all of them....

Basic Drops:

Nearly every catch that he made was where he had good separation(or was wide open). That is a very valuable skill to have.....but like I mentioned in my earlier post, it seems like we have several WRs who can get open and catch the ball already. We are after a big strong receiving threat who can go up and use his size and strength to come down with the ball. Evans clearly does not do that in the 6 games on that video.

geez...the guy only asked for 3......lol

PRO: willing blocker on running plays, strong lower body works for extra yards after catch.

CON: doesn't catch the ball cleanly using hands only, doesn't come down with his fair share of high 50/50 balls, no game breaking speed, weak upper body/hands, had alot of balls knocked out of his hands.

CONCLUSION: no way worth a Top 15 pick.

Basic Drops:

Awesome work. (I was being a little misleading in my post because based on your post it seemed that you didn't watch the video.) Now it is clear.Well I have to say your definition of a drop varies from what I imagine would be the standard definition of a drop.

A Drop is when a receiver is open and through their own actions they do not complete the catch.

A Drop is not when a defender separates the receiver from the ball. I really do not think most people would consider a pass where the receiver had their hands near, or on the ball then the defender broke up the pass as a "drop".

For example at 3:00 mark MIke evans has the Ball, The Safety steps up and separates Mike Evans from the ball with a hit. I don't believe Pro Football Focus (the standard bearer for Drop Rate. i.e. https://www.profootb...tats-drop-rate/) would consider that a drop.

Now, 5:30 is a drop, however he was pulled back from the play earlier and there was a flag for Pass Interference. The result for Texas A&M is basically the same.

6:37 is just a plane old drop.

8:49 the pass is about 10 yards past Evans.

11:38 the ball is knocked out by the defender.

12:46 Evans is tackled before the ball arrives

13:35 is probably a drop

So I guess your point would be he struggles with contested passes. To call all of those plays drops is a real stretch though.

If you think those are drops you must have a real frustrating time watching the Buffalo Bills on Sunday.

Either way I appreciate your efforts and I now see we just have different standards for what is considered a drop.

Mike Evans will run a 4.6 at the combine (a strict nuetral site)......that is not fast.

fast at the combine is 4.4....no more than 4.5 for a WR.

draft a Left Tackle at #1......play the rookie at RT and move pears to LG. that helps EJ with more time and CJ/Freddy with more space.

it's all about time & space

Robert Woods ran a 4.51 but I agree with you. I think Mike Evans will likely run a 4.6 at the combine. His reported 4.52 at A&M, like most unofficial times, seems like a stretch.

However if Evans does run a 4.52 (again unlikely) he is a sure fire Top 15 pick.

If he does Run a 4.6 he will go end of 1st and may even drop to 2nd. Either way A team is getting a big man that run routes and catch.

Edited by Why So Serious?

It doesn't matter. Beating the lowly Jags killed any chances the Bills would be drafting high enough to get any blue chip players. Same old, same old, no playoffs for this team in the foreseeable future. I see another decade of futility. The Pats have it made being in this weak division. :wallbash:

The Bills could sign the 5 best WRs currently in the NFL and would still have problems with the passing game until either EJ improves massively or they get a QB that can make the throws necessary to succeed in this league. Go watch the All 22 video and see how often receivers are wide open. The size of the Bills receivers aren't the problem, the QB is. And until that's corrected, it's a waste of time and money to sign even more WRs who will also be wide open but not getting the throws.

Yes, we NEED a big-play wide-out by next season. However, I'm pitching my tent in the Khalil Mack-CJ Mosely camp. I would absolutely love to shore up our LB corp, Especially at OLB. Perhaps Stanford's Shayne Skov on the inside??? -That'd be SICK. But I'd be lying if I said at least one big-play WR prospect didn't catch my eye... Nothing against Mike Evans, who has the athleticism, or K-Ben, who is an absolute beast, but L'damian Washington from Mizzou is my guy for the Job. 6' 4" 205, He's got 47 catches for 853 yards and 10 TD's on the year. I was also drawn to his personal story which I will attach to another post. i used to think he was quite an athlete, but now I just think he's quite a young man. Here's a small sample... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNyyHmsuw9QOf course he shares time with fellow Missouri stud-wideout Dorial Green-Beckham. Not sure if he declares this year, but Green-Beckham without a doubt has next-level ability. A few other big-play wideouts come to mind, like Fresno State's Davante Adams, who has 122 catches on the year for 1645 yards and 23 TD's! -Crazy numbers by any standard, but as a sophmore, I'm not sure of his draft status. I have alot of other wideouts on my radar from Oregon State speedster Brandin Cooks, to the diminutive Tim Vizzi from SDSU. If no one beats me to it, I'll post on them at some point. -Untill then, check out the Washington kid, and sound off.

Edited by #34fan

Someone please tell me there's a Calvin Johnson type receiver out there in college waiting to be drafted by us. Or, barring that, another Julio Jones type. We need WRs badly. Any college fans out there know of anyone that's coming available this year?

IMHO - When much of your O-line is getting blown off the ball and you're not sure of your franchise QB, you NEVER need WRs. Oh…and they're a huge contract, a #2 and two #3s into WRs already. A WR will not make thee difference with this team.

One guy who I'd really like to draft IF he declares is Kelvin Benjamin. He may need a year or so to develop but this kid will be a beast. He's 6'4 230 and runs in the 4.4/4.5 range. He comes from Glades Central HS right up the road from me which breeds NFL players. Just to name a few off the top of my head:

Fred Taylor

Santonio Holmes

Anquan Boldin

Reidel Anthony

Louis Oliver

Travis Benjamin

I played against Belle Glade all 4 years in HS. I've watched Fred Taylor up close and personally and I've seen Boldin from the stands when he was a QB(he was a year or two behimd me). I've gone to games from time to time since those days and I can tell you that this kid Benjamin took over a game like no one else that school has had since either of those guys.

He's certainly an interesting prospect. I suspect he won't declare but he's a DC's mismatch nightmare for sure.

Evans is the guy who has made Manziel better than he is. Manziel runs around, tosses up a jump ball, and Evans highpoints it. Evans is not fast, but think of him as a tight end with good catching skills. He'll be there at our pick in RD1. In RD2, Brandon Coleman of Rutgers is the big guy. If you don't get one of them, Moncrief or Martavis Bryant should be there on Day 3, but they've been less than stellar at times...inconsistent. http://www.drafttek....-2014-Draft.asp

One guy on that list I'm curious about but haven't been able to find a lot of quality video on is Kasen Williams out of WA. I hear he was a top prospect but that injury derailed his season and will likely drop him to the middle rounds. You think he could be a steal?

The Bills could sign the 5 best WRs currently in the NFL and would still have problems with the passing game until either EJ improves massively or they get a QB that can make the throws necessary to succeed in this league. Go watch the All 22 video and see how often receivers are wide open. The size of the Bills receivers aren't the problem, the QB is. And until that's corrected, it's a waste of time and money to sign even more WRs who will also be wide open but not getting the throws.

Incorrect.

I could QB with Megatron, Dez White, AJ Green, and Jimmy Graham at TE and I'd have a great QBR.

I'm not an EJ believer but you're really underestimating EJ and the effect of a good WR>

He's certainly an interesting prospect. I suspect he won't declare but he's a DC's mismatch nightmare for sure.

I did some research on him. He is a red shirt Sophomore and he is 23 years old come draft day in May.

So coming out of the National Championship game I can't see how Kelvin Benjamin could go back in for another year.

(I don't know how a Junior is 23, he might have failed a grade or two in elementary school)

Edited by Why So Serious?

Incorrect.

I could QB with Megatron, Dez White, AJ Green, and Jimmy Graham at TE and I'd have a great QBR.

I'm not an EJ believer but you're really underestimating EJ and the effect of a good WR>

No sir, you are incorrect. If you won't throw or can't throw to open receivers, it doesn't matter just how many great ones you have. However, I would pay double to watch you QB-ing!

Basic Drops:

It should be pointed out that (I assume) those games are from last year and in the other video against Alabama in 2013 he looks better. Don't know about the other games in 2013 because I don't watch too much of college football. I think the throws are better by Johnny in 2013 too.

When I watched the 2012 video I thought of David Nelson, but I thought Nelson caught the ball better. Bad technique along the sideline and in the one game he seemed to be making the first down sign with the ball in one hand while inbounds and guys were tackling him. Signs of a knucklehead? If he is in the running for our pick I'll take a look at some of the other 2013 games for fun. T'eo was a top 5 pick before he ran into some competition so it's even tougher to say who's going to be in the top 10 at this point.

It should be pointed out that (I assume) those games are from last year and in the other video against Alabama in 2013 he looks better. Don't know about the other games in 2013 because I don't watch too much of college football. I think the throws are better by Johnny in 2013 too.....

Now that is an interesting concept which puts me right back at being to having no valid opinion of his abilities again. I might try and find a similar video(with 6+ games) from 2013. Thanks for pointing that out.

Now that is an interesting concept which puts me right back at being to having no valid opinion of his abilities again. I might try and find a similar video(with 6+ games) from 2013. Thanks for pointing that out.

You can find some clips with just a youtube search for the player and the year, assuming the player is pretty highly ranked. I was doing that for the qb's in play for us last year, I think the cutup video's from the games were around 10 minutes a piece.

If his 4.52 40 time at A&M is true (which is always dubious) then he is not slow. Sometimes when a dude that size runs fast it doesn't look fast. Or he actually not fast.

His combine 40 Time is going to be interesting.

FYI Robert Woods ran a 4.51.

40 times aren't everything but Evans does looks slow on tape. Part of the reason is he's not fluid, he has a little stiffness in his hips. Someone like Fitzgerald (or woods for that matter) can run a slower 40 but make up for it because he's fluid and comes out of his breaks clean which creates separation (in addition to having amazing hands.)

Robinson has a Woods body type and is 6'3". He'd be a good RD2 alternative if coleman's been picked.

Forgot about Cajuste. Wonder if he'd declare, I wouldn't if I were him.

DJ Coles of VaTech is zooming up our board, he's a solid guy who may end up in the 3rd or 4th round.

http://www.drafttek....-2014-Draft.asp

Haven't seen Coleman much but he didn't stand out when I did. To me Robinson is a stud who makes a lot of big plays and tough catches the kind of guy we can build around.