• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills overall make no sense:

How do you have a team that ranks

Forth in the league in Rushing (138.2)

First in the League in Sacks (49)

Third in the league in Interceptions (20)

yet still struggle to reach 5-9?

While many will super-analyze this, the answer is fairly simple. Blocking, tackling, and taking penalties. The Bills don't often block and tackle better than their opponents. Too many plays get stopped for minimal/negative yardage on O(generally the result of poor/missed blocks) and too may big plays are given up on D (usually bad/missed tackles) often when players ARE in position to make the stop and tackle poorly, resulting in big YA catch/contact. They are one of the most penalized teams in the NFL, resulting in a lot of "hidden yardage" that extend/kill drives. When or if these improve, the Bills record will adjust accordingly. We like to think of football as complex, but the basics of blocking and tackling haven't changed. When you do these things better than your opponent you usually win, with turnovers being a large equalizer.

I had a few minutes so I did just that :D .

(The numbers are from last weeks stats though).

Bills are 22nd with a 0.94 differential.

For interest sake....

Top 5:

SEA 1.62

DEN 1.30

NO 1.23

SF 1.21

KC 1.19

Bottom 5:

NYJ 0.67

OAK 0.71

JAX 0.72

WASH 0.81

NYG, MIN, HOU 0.82

I don't get what this is...Seattle and Denver I would think be much higher as Seattle's D doesn't allow much of anything and Manning has such a high QB rating the D would almost have to give up TDs every other drive to allow a rating even close to his

The problem is lack of focus in getting the job done. Many offensive drives have stalled or defensive drives kept alive by untimely penalties or bad plays (over-pursuit or dropping catchable passes or fumbling them at the wrong time)....As everyone knows the difference in the NFL is razor thin. A play here and there can be the difference between a 10-6 and 6-10 team. The teams that know how to make those plays or avoid the bad plays are the 10-6 guys and the ones that consistently make the wrong plays at the most inopportune time are the 6-10s....Unfortunately, we are in the later bucket. Yesterday for example, it was so maddening for this defense to give up consistently 3rd and Longs into 1st downs or sometimes TDs. It was darn crazy.

Look at KC perfect example.

Look how Reid uses both Smith and Charles. Reid has made the most of Charles and is getting stellar play from Smith. You cant say that about these Bills. Granted C.J. has been hurt ( they should have shut him down after that high ankle sprain ,but that's a different thread) but they havent found a way to get him into space .You have to find ways to get your best player the Rock so he can make plays.

You really think KC is all that better than Buffalo?? I don't think so. We had them on the ropes with a 3rd string QB. They just made plays when they had to.

Buffalo has the last 4-5 yrs lets winnable games slip away. At least 3-4 per year.

This year it was the NE, Cleveland , KC, ATL and Cinny. All these games the Bills should have won. 5 wins. They have the talent to be 9-5 right now.

They need to learn how to win, plan and simple.

They have some nice pieces, on D they need one LB that stops the run like Kiko and on O they need some line help and E.J. to grow up and be more consistant.

They are really close IMO. But they better learn how to finish teams off.

Edited by Bufcomments

The problems, as I see it, are coaching and QB. The coaching is leading to piss poor 3rd down efficiency on offense and defense. And the QB is a rookie, making plenty of rookie mistakes in a league where you need a top passer to succeed.

The team is young and learning new systems. They need to focus and play consistently. And, that, comes back to coaching. All too often, they stop someone on 1st and 2nd down only to give up 3rd and long. Why? Because the players are losing containment when they need to be coached that a 5 yd gain on 3rd and 7 is ok. Instead, they crash the line to make a big play, lose containment and give up the big play. It's happened forever.

On offense, the play calling gets entirely too predictable leading to a lot of 3rd and longs. A great QB can overcome that. A rookie rarely can. Hackett seems to have almost zero situational game awareness and consistently puts his players in the worst position. He's running into the hear tof a defense with an elusive back, from a formation that the entire world knows he's running. He goes empty backfield, shotgun in known passing downs just allowing the defense to T off on EJ.

Hopefully, after a year together and another off season, they'll begin to learn to play with more consistency and eliminate many of these mistakes. If not, all the draft picks and free agents won't help a bit.

IMO, we need on offense more OL help. We just can't get the consistent push in known running situations. And Hackett seems bent on running CJ up the middle, so we need the big men to make it happen.

We also need a big WR that can snatch balls. Anyone see Dez Bryant last night? He made catches that our current receivers just simply can't. Small and fast is good... but big and overpowering is pretty nice as well.

Defensively, I think we just need more consistent play, especially from the LBers. Or get a new one or two.

Oh yeah, and of course, a QB that can consistently bail out the offense on 3rd and long and not look like a rookie all the time.

The Bills overall make no sense:

How do you have a team that ranks

Forth in the league in Rushing (138.2)

First in the League in Sacks (49)

Third in the league in Interceptions (20)

yet still struggle to reach 5-9?

here's how...

Ranks 26th in Rushing

Ranks 27th in Passing

A defense that makes big plays all over the field and then gives up bigger plays all over the field at the worst possible moments.

An offense that runs the ball so well but can't use that to set up a quality, middle of the road passing attack (ranks 29th - .192.5).

A team which runs the ball so well, you think they'd be better in TOP (ranks 30th at 28:16).

Overall, I think this team has shown so much promise but they still make the same mistakes as always, still get far to creative in finding ways to lose.

However, I just had a bad thought.... this years team, with last years defense.

Lets see...How about 5 different QB's (Kolb, EJ, Thad, Tuel, Flynn) from camp to now. How about Byrd missing a large chunk of season. How about Gilmore missing time and other starting DB's. How about an OL thats like a revolving door. How about injuries to all the skill positions of the offense (Fred, CJ, SJ, Woods, Goodwin, EJ - and all the QB's).

Add in the amount of youth at key positions, the first time staff learning about what they have in the players and adjusting to the NFL game and you have your answer.

5-9 sucks, and is a disappointment. However, this team is headed in the right direction. There was a LOT of adversity this year, no excuse, just facts. Its pretty hard to succeed with a rookie QB, not to mention one that misses half of preseason and a 1/3rd of the regular season while also either missing offensive weapons or having guys playing at less than 100% due to injury like Fred and CJ.

EJ has shown ups and down...hes a rookie. He has shown enough upside to be optimistic about his future IMO and that another strong draft class and a couple of quality FA signings like this year (or trades) could put this team right in contention for the division title next year.

IMO: First 2 draft picks need to be a TE (athletic, big weapon) and OL player, preferably a guard. Ideally, would love another trade down scenario in the first like last year, but those are not easy to pull off. 3rd-7th round, as well as FA, and via trade, we need to acquire OL depth, DB depth, another playmaker at OLB, and a big wideout. I would totally trade Stevie for a 3rd (best case scenario) or a 4th and move on from him and allow Woods and Goodwin to start (or Woods and a big guy like Easley or someone we acquire with Goodwin in the slot).

We are not that far off people...all of us are tired of excuses, but there are excuses and then their are facts. Facts are, this is a young team who faced a lot of adversity this year and yet fought most games. Few more plays go our way and we have 9 or 10 wins. Thats progress even though the record doesn't suggest it. We add a few more pieces, see our youth continue to make progress, and we will start making some more of those plays to win those games.

Edited by Alphadawg7

The biggest problem this team has is turnovers. They're bottom 5 in the NFL in fumbles lost and are +/-0 in net turnovers. That won't win you a lot of games. Posted in another thread though, 11 of the 12 current predicted playoff teams is in the top half of the NFL in turnover differential. Single biggest successful predictor of the W/L record in the NFL.

This year it was the NE, Cleveland , KC, ATL and Cinny. All these games the Bills should have won. 5 wins. They have the talent to be 9-5 right now.

They need to learn how to win, plan and simple.

They have some nice pieces, on D they need one LB that stops the run like Kiko and on O they need some line help and E.J. to grow up and be more consistant.

They are really close IMO. But they better learn how to finish teams off.

This "learn how to win" crap is the most tired cliche ever for this team. As you point out earlier, it's really not about learning anything. It's about better players . Players that consistently block/ tackle better than their opponents when the game is on the line. That is what wins and loses. Make a play and win. All too often the Bills players are just not good enough to do this.

Every year we talk about games we "should have" won. If we should have won those games, we would have won those games. This team isn't any good. It needs to get better.

Agreed but when was the last time we had a rookie QB, rookie head coach and OC? This year has been disappointing but what did some folks realistically expect?

This "learn how to win" crap is the most tired cliche ever for this team. As you point out earlier, it's really not about learning anything. It's about better players . Players that consistently block/ tackle better than their opponents when the game is on the line. That is what wins and loses. Make a play and win. All too often the Bills players are just not good enough to do this.

I'll give you that, but they do have lots of good players on this team. look at what happened Sunday, A. Williams knocks the ball out of the WR's arm's peventing a sure TD.

Gilmore making an INT in the end zone late in the game.

They had some players that are learning to do it. Maybe what happened in the ATL game really rubbed off on the D.

They do need some better talent on the O line to run the ball better. But you can't say they dont have some solids pieces.

I say learning how to do it , this is making plays at key moments can be taught, that's on the coaching staff as well. Bellicheat does game situations in practice, what to do in key moments.

Tell me that doens't help them in the 4th , when the game is on the line. And look how many games the Pats have won in the last minute this year. I mean yea they have Brady but he sure is getting much help from guys who are 2nd stringers in the WR corps.

Yep, as much as I hate him, BB is the situational master. They are rarely outcoached. I'm not saying the Bills don't have some talented players, just not enough in key areas. Like another run stuffing LB and a big, elite WR. They are still a couple guys away. NE has been depleted by FA losses and injury, but a great HC and HOF QB can make up for a lot of flaws. The Bills have neither of those.

Yep, as much as I hate him, BB is the situational master. They are rarely outcoached. I'm not saying the Bills don't have some talented players, just not enough in key areas. Like another run stuffing LB and a big, elite WR. They are still a couple guys away. NE has been depleted by FA losses and injury, but a great HC and HOF QB can make up for a lot of flaws. The Bills have neither of those.

He wasn't the situation master until he got Brady.

Agreed but when was the last time we had a rookie QB, rookie head coach and OC? This year has been disappointing but what did some folks realistically expect?

Yup, my expectations were low, and they were met.

It just sucks having low expectations all the time.

I don't get what this is...Seattle and Denver I would think be much higher as Seattle's D doesn't allow much of anything and Manning has such a high QB rating the D would almost have to give up TDs every other drive to allow a rating even close to his

It is the differential between a teams Offensive QBR and their Defensive QBR.

Seattle has 106.2 QBR and their defense has allowed 65.5 QBR. The differential is 106.2/65.5 = 1.62(best in the league).

When a team has a QBR differential of less than 1.00 it means that their offensive QBR is worst than what their defensive QBR has been.

QBR differential is a remarkably good indicator of a teams performance.

(And thanks for the kind words C.B. and NS earlier in the thread. :thumbsup: )