Official Pre-Game Thread: Week 15, Bills at Jaguars

Dan

Week 15: Buffalo Bills at Jacksonville Jaguars

Sunday, December 15, 2013 at 1:00pm

TV Network: CBS (TV Map)

Announcers: Andrew Catalon and Rich Gannon

DirecTV: 710

Bills Radio:

On the call: John Murphy (play by play), Mark Kelso (analyst), Joe Buscaglia (sideline)

Flagship: Buffalo – WGR550 (550AM); Toronto - Sportsnet 590 The Fan

Rochester - WCMF (96.5) and WROC (950AM); Syracuse - WTKW (99.5/WTKV 105.5)

Sirius: 136

=================================================================

Game Preview:

Jacksonville (4-9) has won three straight for the first time since 2010 and four of five after an 0-8 start. Though the Jaguars will attempt to win four in a row for the first time since Sept. 16-Oct. 14, 2007, first-year coach Gus Bradley wants his team to continue its progression while maintaining some perspective amid the franchise's sixth consecutive season without a winning record.

Buffalo (4-9) was held to a season-low 67 rushing yards while falling to 1-5 on the road with a 27-6 loss at Tampa Bay last Sunday. The Bills held a closed-door meeting following their fifth loss in six games.

This is Buffalo's ninth straight losing season. One more defeat will give the team a fifth year in a row of reaching at least 10 defeats and sixth consecutive last-place finish in the AFC East.

Read more at ESPN game preview...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scouting Report: Week 15 (from Buffalo Bills.com Chris Brown)

NFL.com Video Preview

Film Room: Bills Preview

NFL.com Game Center

Team Stats:      Bills         Jaguars

Total Yds/Game.... 327.8         285.2

Total Rush............. 133.6           76.6

Total Pass............. 194.2         208.6

Points/Game..........  21.0           15.5

Time of Poss..........  27.9           27.7

----------------------------------------------

Yds/Gm Allowed... 345.8         383.0

Rush Yards........... 124.8         126.8

Pass Yards........... 220.9         256.2

Points Allowed........ 25.7           28.6

Source: NFL.com

Injury Report:

Buffalo Bills

NAME            POSITION    INJURY         WED.   THU.   FRI.    GAME STATUS

Alonso, Kiko              LB            Knee              LP        LP       LP           Questionable

Meeks, Jonathan      S              Ankle              FP        FP      FP            Probable

Smith, Brandon         DB           Ankle              LP       DNP   DNP          Out

Urbik, Kraig               OL           Foot               DNP     DNP    LP            Questionable

Williams, Kyle           DL           Achilles          DNP       FP     FP             Probable

Source: BuffaloBills.com

Jacksonville Jaguars

NAME            POSITION    INJURY         WED.   THU.   FRI.    GAME STATUS

Cyprien, Johnathan   S             Thigh               LP      DNP    DNP        Doubtful

Evans, Josh              FS            Shoulder         LP       LP       LP          Probable

Hayes, Geno             LB            Knee               LP      DNP     LP          Probable

Jones-Drew, Maurice RB          Hamstring      DNP    DNP    DNP        Doubtful

Miller, Roy                 DT            Shoulder       DNP     DNP     LP          Probable

Nwaneri, Uche          G              Shoulder          -         LP        FP          Probable

Pasztor, Austin         G              Shoulder         LP       LP        LP          Probable

Prosinski, Chris         S              Concussion    LP       LP        FP          Probable

Scobee, Josh            K              Left hip           DNP     LP       FP          Probable

Shorts III, Cecil         WR           Groin              DNP    DNP     LP          Questionable

Todman, Jordan       RB            Shoulder         LP       FP        FP          Probable

Source: Jaguars.com

Practice Status                                                                                         Game Status

DNP = Did Not Participate in Practice                                                      Out = Player will not play

LP = Limited Participation - Less than 100% of normal reps                    Doubtful = 25% chance a player will play

FP = Full Participation - 100% of a player's normal repetitions                Questionable = 50% chance a player will play

Out = Player will not play                                                                          Probable = 75% chance a player will play

(-) = Not Listed = No practice status available                                          (-) = Not Listed - No game status available

The Odds:

Line: Bills -2

Over/Under: 43.0

Source: The Linemakers

Up to date lines... if you're in Vegas.

My Take on the Matchup:

Yep. What can you say about two bad teams playing late, in yet another bad season of football?  More appropriately, I think, is who cares? The Bills have once again given us a season that ends with meaningless games in which winning or losing really doesn't matter.

Seeing as how I'm a glutton for punishment, I'll be watching.  And I'll be watching just to see if this team has a pulse.

1. Can EJ actually look like an NFL QB?  I don't want a mediocre game that's managed well.  I want him to play like a guy that belongs, like someone that can operate an NFL offense.  If they really did dumb down the "run, run, pass" offense for him, then I think we have little hope of ever seeing this.

2. Can the defense stop a pitiful offense? Or will they make Chad Henne look like the Pro Bowl player only he knows he is? 

3. Coach Marrone and Hacket seem to have lost the team and are probably wondering why things aren't all fun and fuzzy anymore.  Can they actually get the team fired up to play?  Can they show any ability at all to lead this team?  Or will they and the team continue their continual regression into irrelevancy?  

Go Bills!

I don't have any logical explanation, just a gut feeling the Bills show up big today. Even if it does little more than foster a continuation of false hope, the team could sure use an infusion of excitement and optimism and beating the tar out of another 4-9 team .... well, it would feel good anyway.

I don't have any logical explanation, just a gut feeling the Bills show up big today. Even if it does little more than foster a continuation of false hope, the team could sure use an infusion of excitement and optimism and beating the tar out of another 4-9 team .... well, it would feel good anyway.

When the Bills were looking at 3 pretty easy games this was the one that made me nervous. Teams historically struggle when playing 3 straight road games in the 3rd game. With how poorly they showed in the 2 previous games my expectations are very low.

I usually am in the boat of losing for draft position but this year I don't want that. I'd like to see many of things mentioned above.

1. Can Marrone keep the team together?

2. Can EJ play good on the road?

3. Will Hackett please call some screens and dump offs to spiller?

4. Can the defense get the timely stop? 3rd down and run defense have still been a weakness...

When the Bills were looking at 3 pretty easy games this was the one that made me nervous. Teams historically struggle when playing 3 straight road games in the 3rd game. With how poorly they showed in the 2 previous games my expectations are very low.

I usually am in the boat of losing for draft position but this year I don't want that. I'd like to see many of things mentioned above.

4. Can the defense get the timely stop? 3rd down and run defense have still been a weakness...

I'd be happy with a few sacks and NONE of those heart-breaking plays (rushing or passing) where we just get gashed. Oh, and about a 30 yard sideline completion from EJ to Goodwin, please.

I'd be happy with a few sacks and NONE of those heart-breaking plays (rushing or passing) where we just get gashed. Oh, and about a 30 yard sideline completion from EJ to Goodwin, please.

Yep, would be great to see that happen again. The issue isn't MG- he has caught 3 long TDs from 3 diff QBs. Go Bills!

WE think the same way.

I don't really care about the draft at this stage, I want to see this team win on the road and grow.

I'd rather see EJ light it up in a win even if it costs us draft position.

Agree. This team needs to learn how to win. Hate like hell to use the cliche "winning culture" but we need that in our staff / team. GO BILLS. I'll be hootin and hollerin like any other Sunday. LOL !

This team needs to gain confidence heading into the off season. I'd like to see three wins, but two and play the evil empire very well would be OK as well.

The coaching staff need experience as well and EJ needs to see many snaps as you can get him.

I've thought this many times!

Absolutely

I don't know if they can do it, but it would really help. There are so many times that I agree with a post but don't feel like responding. A like button would be an easy way of giving positive feedback to a poster.