15 worst trades

Steve O

For Pittsburgh... Frank Lewis fro Paul Seymour!

For some reason, the clause for a physical was wived or something...Seymour failed his with the Steelers and never played a down for the Stillers, Lewis was awesome for the Bills for about 3 years.

Chuck Knoll would refer to Lewis as "my gift to Buffalo"

It was actually Bledsoe for what ended up being Ty Warren

And you have to make that trade every time when you don't have a QB.

The Patriots got about 4 good seasons out of Warren......he was a contributor to some SB winning teams but he would have been a Kelsay-esque first round pick if he had been a Bill.

The lost pick was worse than what the Pats actually did with it.

But like I said.....you make that trade every time.

I would compare it to if Philip Rivers had come available in trade last offseason. Don't be fooled by Rivers modern passing numbers versus Bledsoe's in the 1990's......they no longer are an apples to apples comparison.....Rivers basically played like Ryan Fitzpatrick last year. His stock was very low, but there was reason to believe he could return to being a very good QB. When a 30 year old franchise type QB becomes available....and the draft outlook doesn't look promising..... and you have been without one for many years...... you really have to make that trade.

Who did the Marshawn trade get us again? I honestly don't know. But I'm betting whoever it is, has to be on the top worst trades somewhere.

The Bills got what turned out to be Chris Hairston and Tank Carder. While this turned out to be a terrible deal for the Bills, Lynch is probably still just one step away from a year long suspension given his previous track record with gun and hit and run incidents. I'm glad things worked out for him, but I think it would have been different, and not in a good war, if he had stayed in Buffalo (of course I can't be sure of that.)

The Bills got what turned out to be Chris Hairston and Tank Carder. While this turned out to be a terrible deal for the Bills, Lynch is probably still just one step away from a year long suspension given his previous track record with gun and hit and run incidents. I'm glad things worked out for him, but I think it would have been different, and not in a good war, if he had stayed in Buffalo (of course I can't be sure of that.)

The bad decision to draft Spiller lead to the bad decision to deal Lynch. That first year with Buddy and Chan was a personnel clusterf*ck. Beside those two dumb moves, they came to camp with Trent Edwards still as their QB after he had proven himself incapable two seasons earlier and reached for Troup in round 2. There was no sense of urgency to improve the team.....they wanted to take the season to evaluate the talent on hand. Well, the first one they should have kept and evaluated was obviously Marshawn Lynch. Spiller was so clueless as a rookie they should have redshirted him. In year 4 he is still too dimwitted to pick up a blitz. Lynch is mensa material compared to poor CJ.

And you have to make that trade every time when you don't have a QB.

The Patriots got about 4 good seasons out of Warren......he was a contributor to some SB winning teams but he would have been a Kelsay-esque first round pick if he had been a Bill.

The lost pick was worse than what the Pats actually did with it.

But like I said.....you make that trade every time.

I would compare it to if Philip Rivers had come available in trade last offseason. Don't be fooled by Rivers modern passing numbers versus Bledsoe's in the 1990's......they no longer are an apples to apples comparison.....Rivers basically played like Ryan Fitzpatrick last year. His stock was very low, but there was reason to believe he could return to being a very good QB. When a 30 year old franchise type QB becomes available....and the draft outlook doesn't look promising..... and you have been without one for many years...... you really have to make that trade.

I wasn't commenting on weather it was the right or wrong move. I loved the trade at the time. I just wanted to say the Pats used the pick on Ty Warren & not Wilfork,

I wasn't commenting on weather it was the right or wrong move. I loved the trade at the time. I just wanted to say the Pats used the pick on Ty Warren & not Wilfork,

I didn't say or mean to imply that you did. It was an aggressive gamble on a talented, accomplished and relatively young QB. It didn't pan out, but it was the right chance to take. The fact that Warren didn't turn into a great player makes the TRADE look less lopsided than it would have if say........that player was a star like Vince Wilfork.......but it doesn't really matter because the only position where it is imperative to have a star player is QB and had that QB turned into a star he would have been worth an entire draft and then some.....let alone one first round pick.

The bad decision to draft Spiller lead to the bad decision to deal Lynch. That first year with Buddy and Chan was a personnel clusterf*ck. Beside those two dumb moves, they came to camp with Trent Edwards still as their QB after he had proven himself incapable two seasons earlier and reached for Troup in round 2. There was no sense of urgency to improve the team.....they wanted to take the season to evaluate the talent on hand. Well, the first one they should have kept and evaluated was obviously Marshawn Lynch. Spiller was so clueless as a rookie they should have redshirted him. In year 4 he is still too dimwitted to pick up a blitz. Lynch is mensa material compared to poor CJ.

If memory serves, you were very anti-Lynch at the time and were happy to see him go. I recall multiple good posts from you about the accident he caused and the fact that he was a pretty lousy human being.

Also, Rivers was way better than Fitz last year, and is ten times the qb Bledsoe ever was. I mean, it's not even remotely close. No way was SD trading him. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RivePh00.htm

But yes, the Bledsoe trade was absolutely the right move given the RJ situation after the 01 season.

Edited by dave mcbride

If memory serves, you were very anti-Lynch at the time and were happy to see him go. I recall multiple good posts from you about the accident he caused and the fact that he was a pretty lousy human being.

Also, Rivers was way better than Fitz last year, and is ten times the qb Bledsoe ever was. I mean, it's not even remotely close. No way was SD trading him. http://www.pro-footb.../R/RivePh00.htm

But yes, the Bledsoe trade was absolutely the right move given the RJ situation after the 01 season.

I was for getting rid of Lynch when he ran the woman over and took no accountability (Stevie Johnson was reportedly in the front seat...just sayin'). Moving Lynch then also likely would have raised Fred Jackson's star.

But once they kept Lynch for another season the organization had clearly made the decision that they weren't going to hold key players accountable for their actions. There was little point in moving Lynch when they did. They basically seasoned him for an extra year for Seattle.

I was very much against the drafting of Spiller and the subsequent trading of Lynch.

Of course I was also against trading Travis Henry.......at the time, the argument for that was that you couldn't have a two back system. Shortly thereafter, much of the league was using two back systems. :doh: McGahee was never the same player without the competition Henry provided.

People in Buffalo were pleased with the Henry trade and reveled in his personal controversies......he didn't have a great career after Buffalo......but he did play some very good football and could have helped the Bills. The Bills netted nothing from trading Henry. Zero.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

Actually with many of these trades whose to say the star player who was traded for or drafted with that pick would have turned into the same player with that other team....Many players success or failure is greatly dependent on the talent around them and the system they play in.

As for Lynch, if he didnt have that threat of long suspension hanging over him he would have returned more.

As for Lynch, if he didnt have that threat of long suspension hanging over him he would have returned more.

The three high profile/high pedigree Bills RB's traded during the Decade of Fail......Travis Henry, Willis McGahee and Marshawn Lynch........yielded pretty much nothing in trade.

No matter how it's explained...Hairston and Carder for Lynch is about as bad as it gets as far as true value goes...What made the whole CJ/Lynch situation worse was the fact the Bills had Freddie inhouse already as insurance in case Lynch did get in trouble again...It was terrible strategy...I loved CJ in College...I love him still...But I was against it on Draft day, and I'm still against it now...It was terrible team building strategy... B-)

I was never so much anti-lynch, as I was anti-whatever-the-heck-we-do-with-running-backs-in-buffalo.

For some reason, our front office went through a stretch (and still are I fear) where they feel they need a top notch RB to be successful, and they keep drafting running backs when we dont need one.

In 2003 we had Travis Henry. No need to take a luxury pick on Willis McGahee. Sure he turned out good, but we didnt need to do that.

In 2007 we had McGahee, yet we drafted Marshawn Lynch.

In 2010 we take CJ Spiller...yet we had Lynch & Fred Jackson.

If the trend continues...We are due for a 1st round RB pick in 2014! Or we can just use FA pickups at RB. My god, look at how many low-draft pick RBs are dominating in this league. You dont need first round RBs anymore (unless they are the elite Peterson type backs).

This is probably my biggest grip about the front offices of the past. When was the last time you ever heard a team in the NFL say "you know what...we really need to find us a good RB...our RB play is KILLING us"?! Never! Because anyone with a pulse can run through a hole if it exists.