2014 Wish List

Trade Stevie Johnson ( for whatever) sign a true #1 receiver

Draft starting Left Guard

Sign free agent Starting RT

Sign or draft a real Tight end

Draft a rushing Line backer

resign Byrd

New Owner

Find a middle to late round running back that wants to hit the hole hard and not look to bounce,

Punter

Please add on sure there are more needs.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elite sized athletic WR and TE that are mismatches vs smaller DB's and make athletic plays on the ball in the air. I'm so tired of watching our tremendously overrated midget WR's that can't/don't fight for footballs and fumble at first contact. And of watching TE's that scare no one and essentially surrender the middle of the field to defenses. Every week in this league you see the Marshalls, Jeffereys, V Jacksons and C. Johnsons (and now the Da'rick Rogers's /should have kept that guy) make plays for balls that are not perfectly thrown and break tackles for huge YAC. Our guys require spot on accurate throws and rarely break tackles. Way too much emphasis on speed with this WR corps and not enough on guys that are physical specimens. Todays WR's are huge adonis types that fight for footballs and punish db's. We are amazingly behind the curve in this dept. I can't think of a WR corps that produces less in the NFL. This offense will never function at any kind of level until this is fixed. It's so annoying to watch a team that can't put their big boy pants on and play ball. We are just soft all over the field, and get teased every so often when we can manage to beat a team with just speed. This is a rare thing though, you have to be able to play a physical brand of football that we just lack the players to do. It's very apparent when watching other teams make plays that our guys don't. Many of the biggest offensive plays are made on passes that are not precise, or short throws broken for huge gains by WR's.

Since we're wishing here:

I assume we'll pick in the top 5 which will likely give us an opportunity to trade down and get another 2nd. Do that. Then:

Draft a top G: David Yankey seems to be the consensus top pick, and I'm fine with that, but La'el Collins from LSU also brings a nice blend of size, power, and athletecism, and might still be available in the 2nd. I like the idea of a big bodied mauler like Gabe Jackson or Cyril Richardson, but I'm tempted to sacrifice some of that weight for the ability to pull and get out to the second level more quickly. Collins and Yankey are both bigger and stronger than Levitre.

Draft a WR/TE: This is where I'm looking in the first. My favorites are Mike Evans and Marquis Lee in that order. I like both of these guys more than the TEs, problem is, Lee doesn't give us the big physical target we need, and there's a lot more depth at WR than TE this year, so if I can't get Evans I may take Amaro if he's available (possibly over Lee). ASJ could be a value pick in the second. If I go TE or get Lee/Watkins/Beckhum/etc. I may go after a big WR in FA (H. Nicks, E. Decker). The ideal situation would add a big TE AND a big WR. With 2 big targets to go with our small speed guys, we'd be a matchup nightmare for everyone.

Draft a QB: While I agree it's too early to declare EJ a bust, if 3 games from now we haven't seen significant improvement from the last 2 it won't be too early for thinking people to realize it would be irresponsible to go into next season with him as the only starting option at QB. Taking a QB in Rd 3 makes a lot of sense. There are a lot of guys who have been projected as 1st rounders at some point over the last 12 months, and I'd bet at least one of those guys is available when we pick in the 3rd (Z Mettenberger, J Manzelli, T Boyd, A Murray, A McCarron) - I'd take any of these guys at that spot. That would give us QB depth, and also a young guy with potential learning the system so if and when we bail on EJ we've got a potential replacement in training. Picking a QB in the 3rd also wouldn't preclude us from taking one in the 1st in 2015 if the opportunity is there. And if EJ defies the odds and learns to be awesome, there're worse things than having a quality young b/u QB.

Note: If I can't get any of the QBs mentioned in the 3rd, I take a stab at Bryn Renner in the 7th - He showed promise before getting injured. Him or Tyler Russell from MS State - Can't really explain it, there's just something about the way he carries himself.

Let me go see if if I can find my wish list for the last decade:

O, here it is:

QB

TE

Big athletic WR

A good OL

a pass rushing beast.

A CB that can cover without getting penalties

LB

Let me go see if if I can find my wish list for the last decade:

O, here it is:

QB

TE

Big athletic WR

A good OL

a pass rushing beast.

A CB that can cover without getting penalties

LB

LOL

Since we're wishing here:

I assume we'll pick in the top 5 which will likely give us an opportunity to trade down and get another 2nd. Do that. Then:

Draft a top G: David Yankey seems to be the consensus top pick, and I'm fine with that, but La'el Collins from LSU also brings a nice blend of size, power, and athletecism, and might still be available in the 2nd. I like the idea of a big bodied mauler like Gabe Jackson or Cyril Richardson, but I'm tempted to sacrifice some of that weight for the ability to pull and get out to the second level more quickly. Collins and Yankey are both bigger and stronger than Levitre.

Draft a WR/TE: This is where I'm looking in the first. My favorites are Mike Evans and Marquis Lee in that order. I like both of these guys more than the TEs, problem is, Lee doesn't give us the big physical target we need, and there's a lot more depth at WR than TE this year, so if I can't get Evans I may take Amaro if he's available (possibly over Lee). ASJ could be a value pick in the second. If I go TE or get Lee/Watkins/Beckhum/etc. I may go after a big WR in FA (H. Nicks, E. Decker). The ideal situation would add a big TE AND a big WR. With 2 big targets to go with our small speed guys, we'd be a matchup nightmare for everyone.

Draft a QB: While I agree it's too early to declare EJ a bust, if 3 games from now we haven't seen significant improvement from the last 2 it won't be too early for thinking people to realize it would be irresponsible to go into next season with him as the only starting option at QB. Taking a QB in Rd 3 makes a lot of sense. There are a lot of guys who have been projected as 1st rounders at some point over the last 12 months, and I'd bet at least one of those guys is available when we pick in the 3rd (Z Mettenberger, J Manzelli, T Boyd, A Murray, A McCarron) - I'd take any of these guys at that spot. That would give us QB depth, and also a young guy with potential learning the system so if and when we bail on EJ we've got a potential replacement in training. Picking a QB in the 3rd also wouldn't preclude us from taking one in the 1st in 2015 if the opportunity is there. And if EJ defies the odds and learns to be awesome, there're worse things than having a quality young b/u QB.

Note: If I can't get any of the QBs mentioned in the 3rd, I take a stab at Bryn Renner in the 7th - He showed promise before getting injured. Him or Tyler Russell from MS State - Can't really explain it, there's just something about the way he carries himself.

Yes yes yes, but what was wrong with EJ's game against Atlanta??

I agree with your needs, I think we can find our WR in FA with Nicks, Decker or if we lose out on those two then Britt or James Jones. I would not trade Stevie like I've always said he would be an amazing slot or 2nd WR just not the main target I'm thinking Nicks and Woods outside with Stevie in the middle. Now on to TE I'd love to throw the world at Graham but I'm sure the Saints will franchise him. So that leaves either drafting one in the first round but we may pick to early for that or Finley, Pitta, Pettigrew I'd take any of those 3 as the main target with signing Chandler as the #2 TE to a cheap deal. As for a RB I would sign James Starks as the #3 back, I agree we at least need a LG or LT and move Glenn to LG I would go after Branden Albert as the LT if you lose out on him then Wade as the LG. Now on to Def. We need another LB I love Williams obviously, I like Kiko and Manny Lawson too. I think the Draft would be best for this with us taking Mosley or Mack from Buffalo. I like our DL I just think we need to add depth so I would sign Branch to a reasonable deal. We need a new Punter so I would draft one in the late rounds. As for the Draft I would take a LB in the first round like I said then an OL in the 2nd round maybe Richardson?

I agree with your needs, I think we can find our WR in FA with Nicks, Decker or if we lose out on those two then Britt or James Jones. I would not trade Stevie like I've always said he would be an amazing slot or 2nd WR just not the main target I'm thinking Nicks and Woods outside with Stevie in the middle. Now on to TE I'd love to throw the world at Graham but I'm sure the Saints will franchise him. So that leaves either drafting one in the first round but we may pick to early for that or Finley, Pitta, Pettigrew I'd take any of those 3 as the main target with signing Chandler as the #2 TE to a cheap deal. As for a RB I would sign James Starks as the #3 back, I agree we at least need a LG or LT and move Glenn to LG I would go after Branden Albert as the LT if you lose out on him then Wade as the LG. Now on to Def. We need another LB I love Williams obviously, I like Kiko and Manny Lawson too. I think the Draft would be best for this with us taking Mosley or Mack from Buffalo. I like our DL I just think we need to add depth so I would sign Branch to a reasonable deal. We need a new Punter so I would draft one in the late rounds. As for the Draft I would take a LB in the first round like I said then an OL in the 2nd round maybe Richardson?

Well, Stevie drops the ball early in the game when it "doesn't matter" and he fumbles it/drops at the ends of games when it does matter. So..I think I've seen all I need to see from him.

Trade Stevie Johnson ( for whatever) sign a true #1 receiver

Draft starting Left Guard

Sign or draft a real Tight end

Draft a rushing Line backer

Find a middle to late round running back that wants to hit the hole hard and not look to bounce,

I simulated this draft with a 6th pick using the simulator here.

I'm going WR, OG, TE, OLB, RB as P1, P2, P2, P2, P3, respectively.

This is a pretty good year for OG, relatively thin for TE, and no RB would be worth the 6th pick, but there's a good supply in mid rounds.

Our best draft IMHO:

1-Sammy Watkins WRF Clemson---most mocks have him at 6 or 7; I prefer him to Evans this high up, and no TE is worth a 6th. I would also think about OT here

2-Vic Beasley OLB34 Clemson--- topped the ACC in Sacks (12) and Forced Fumbles (4)

3-Tre Jackson OG Florida State or Arthur Lynch TE Georgia)---Best Bet: take the 3rd-ranked Guard but can do the opposite

4-Xavier Grimble TE USC or Chris Burnette OG Georgia---Best Bet: take the 4th-ranked TE--can do the opposite

5-E.J. Gaines CB Missouri, Andrew Jackson ILB Western Kentucky, or Telvin Smith ILB Florida State --Love all 3.

6-Karlos Williams RBF Florida State---This guy is going to move up after bowls and combine. He's thunder, Spiller's lightning

7-James Franklin QB Missouri---again, will move up if he comes out. He outplayed Manziel in SEC East

Yes yes yes, but what was wrong with EJ's game against Atlanta??

I don't want to turn this into an EJ thread because God knows we have enough of those, but to answer your question, He wasn't awful, and I don't hang the loss on him, but it wasn't very good either. I give him credit for a couple of clutch throws late, but for the first 55 minutes of that game he did very little.

I simulated this draft with a 6th pick using the simulator here.

I'm going WR, OG, TE, OLB, RB as P1, P2, P2, P2, P3, respectively.

This is a pretty good year for OG, relatively thin for TE, and no RB would be worth the 6th pick, but there's a good supply in mid rounds.

Our best draft IMHO:

1-Sammy Watkins WRF Clemson---most mocks have him at 6 or 7; I prefer him to Evans this high up, and no TE is worth a 6th. I would also think about OT here

2-Vic Beasley OLB34 Clemson--- topped the ACC in Sacks (12) and Forced Fumbles (4)

3-Tre Jackson OG Florida State or Arthur Lynch TE Georgia)---Best Bet: take the 3rd-ranked Guard but can do the opposite

4-Xavier Grimble TE USC or Chris Burnette OG Georgia---Best Bet: take the 4th-ranked TE--can do the opposite

5-E.J. Gaines CB Missouri, Andrew Jackson ILB Western Kentucky, or Telvin Smith ILB Florida State --Love all 3.

6-Karlos Williams RBF Florida State---This guy is going to move up after bowls and combine. He's thunder, Spiller's lightning

7-James Franklin QB Missouri---again, will move up if he comes out. He outplayed Manziel in SEC East

I liked the mock that was up on Drafttek today. Love the idea of Beckum and Mettenberger, especially where you picked them. It's not exactly where I'd have gone, but I'd be stoked if that's how it turns out in May.

Incorporate a huddle

Incorporate a drop back play action pass into the offense.

Scrap running from read option

Demote Hackett

Have new OC review 2012 game films to properly utilitze Spiller

New OL and ST coaches.

Get a new starting G, WR, TE and LB in draft and free agency.