2014 Wish List

Trade Stevie Johnson ( for whatever) sign a true #1 receiver

Draft starting Left Guard

Sign free agent Starting RT

Sign or draft a real Tight end

Draft a rushing Line backer

resign Byrd

New Owner

Find a middle to late round running back that wants to hit the hole hard and not look to bounce,

Punter

Please add on sure there are more needs.

My sig

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CB is not a pressing need. Gilmore will be just fine, McKelvin has shown that if nothing else he's worthy of being a starter and between Brooks and Robey, they have decent depth there. Not to say I wouldn't take a flier on a guy in the 5th round but drafting a QB in the first two rounds would be idiotic.

In the last sentence above, did you mean CB rather than QB? If so, I couldn't agree more.

For instance, Cordy Glenn is playing at the level of a top 10 pick, yet I would rather see the Bills use a first round pick on an offensive tackle than a corner.

Drafting a corner in the first round would be beyond idiotic. It would be a clear signal that Bills management doesn't know how, or worse doesn't want to turn this thing around. But each and every draft we sit there fretting that they will make this horrible mistake yet again.

At least I do.

First thing is grade out the players you have. See where the most glaring needs are and fill them either through the draft or free agency. I wish in no particular order: 2 offensive linemen, WR who is big and has good hands, CB, ILB, between the tackles RB and a TE who can block and catch the ball. Last an upgrade in the coaching staff.

Since we're wishing here:

I assume we'll pick in the top 5 which will likely give us an opportunity to trade down and get another 2nd. Do that. Then:

Draft a top G: David Yankey seems to be the consensus top pick, and I'm fine with that, but La'el Collins from LSU also brings a nice blend of size, power, and athletecism, and might still be available in the 2nd. I like the idea of a big bodied mauler like Gabe Jackson or Cyril Richardson, but I'm tempted to sacrifice some of that weight for the ability to pull and get out to the second level more quickly. Collins and Yankey are both bigger and stronger than Levitre.

Draft a WR/TE: This is where I'm looking in the first. My favorites are Mike Evans and Marquis Lee in that order. I like both of these guys more than the TEs, problem is, Lee doesn't give us the big physical target we need, and there's a lot more depth at WR than TE this year, so if I can't get Evans I may take Amaro if he's available (possibly over Lee). ASJ could be a value pick in the second. If I go TE or get Lee/Watkins/Beckhum/etc. I may go after a big WR in FA (H. Nicks, E. Decker). The ideal situation would add a big TE AND a big WR. With 2 big targets to go with our small speed guys, we'd be a matchup nightmare for everyone.

Draft a QB: While I agree it's too early to declare EJ a bust, if 3 games from now we haven't seen significant improvement from the last 2 it won't be too early for thinking people to realize it would be irresponsible to go into next season with him as the only starting option at QB. Taking a QB in Rd 3 makes a lot of sense. There are a lot of guys who have been projected as 1st rounders at some point over the last 12 months, and I'd bet at least one of those guys is available when we pick in the 3rd (Z Mettenberger, J Manzelli, T Boyd, A Murray, A McCarron) - I'd take any of these guys at that spot. That would give us QB depth, and also a young guy with potential learning the system so if and when we bail on EJ we've got a potential replacement in training. Picking a QB in the 3rd also wouldn't preclude us from taking one in the 1st in 2015 if the opportunity is there. And if EJ defies the odds and learns to be awesome, there're worse things than having a quality young b/u QB.

Note: If I can't get any of the QBs mentioned in the 3rd, I take a stab at Bryn Renner in the 7th - He showed promise before getting injured. Him or Tyler Russell from MS State - Can't really explain it, there's just something about the way he carries himself.

Upon further review, I am now prioritizing OG above WR/TE in terms of need. If I'm GM I might still take a WR first if there's an elite prospect, but our WRs are a lot better than they get credit for around here. And TE is a ? depending on Moeaki's condition. Pears isn't that bad either. The two biggest liabilities on the offense (other than rookie QB) are LG and RG. I'd like to see both positions addressed in the first 4 rounds.