EJ Dooms Bills Until 2016 Season

Boludo

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It starts and ends with Brandon (for now) -- until they fix that dysfunctional situation, the football operation is fighting with one arm tied behind it's back --- complain all you want about Marrone/Hackett/Pettine or whichever coach --- in the end, spending under the cap EVERY year, playing 9 road games and consistently under-investing in coaching and scouting translates to one thing --- losing ---- Mr. Brandon WORDS ARE CHEAP !! ---

A player has a bad game and you have your "I told you he sucked" posters.

Then a player has a good game and you have your "You guys need to apologize to (fill in the blank)" posters.

Quite possibly one of the best lessons a fan can learn is that jockeying early to be in the front row of the "I told you so" brigade is a massive waste of your time.

A lot of people played a lot of really bad football yesterday, and any fan running around today using it as proof that you knew something few others knew should probably think before they post.

I'm okay with keeping EJ for another season...because Marcus Mariota is staying at Oregon for another year. So I'm counting on EJ to do poorly and for the Bills to really stink it up in '14.

BTW, for all of you who are so into Cutler, my Bears fan friends will be dancing in the streets if the Bills take him on.

Oh dear Cutler... Yes he's a marginally better JP Losman with a crappier attitude.

I can't agree with that. The only guy I've seen take a step back is CJ...oh, and Chandler.

The O-line as well. Not just at left guard. Not to mention Steve, I'm not sure to include him or not. But CJ and Chandler alone were two of our best four skill players. Its rough to see that from you're best young vets on offense.

In the span of our last 4 head coaches (Jauron, Fewell, Gailey, Marrone), Flacco + Harbaugh have gone to the playoffs deep every year and won the SB. Harbaugh inherited a team that went 5-11 the year before. It's not too early to say we stink...

Edited by thr_wedge

Nothing, but that's new thinking which people can't accept in the NFL. Manuel is a ~$2M cap hit for the next 3 seasons. That's cheap even by backup standards. There is no reason to avoid having a QB competition, even if Manuel was good.

If you can draft a QB that you feel great about, you do it. Period. They're that valuable today.

Of course, there's a 1% chance this Bills staff does so, so this is pedantic. But, one can hope. I always do. I'm a Billiever.

I couldn't agree more on all counts. If a team isn't sure they have a franchise QB (or the one they do have is old) they need to be focused on getting one. This offseason I think our only shot is getting lucky with a mid-round QB though. I don't see this FO pulling the trigger in the first or second though.

Look, like it or not, the Bills as a unit invested a great deal of time and resources in evaluating the QB landscape last year, and decided (for better or worse) that EJ was the best proposition. Much of went into that analysis, undoubtedly, was looking forward to the 2014 draft. So we can forget about them investing another 1st round pick -- and probably a 2nd round pick for that matter (unless someone unexpectedly falls) -- on the QB position.

A more likely scenario is that they bring in a veteran journeyman with starting experience to help EJ along. That has been their MO when bringing in Flutie, Holcomb, Fitz, and Kolb. They all wound up being starters because the team failed miserably in evaluating Todd Collins, RJ, JP, and Trent Edwards. Cutler is a pipe dream -- no, he is NOT just another JP -- because it will take $20 M per year to sign him. Schaub should be available and may thrive in a new town, but I suspect he will have many suitors willing to pay him decent coin. Guys like Jason Campbell, Chad Henne, Matt Cassel, Kyle Orton, Rex Grossman, Shaun Hill, Matt Moore, Matt Hasselbeck, and David Garrard may be available and are the sort that we would be looking at.

I'd be in favor of drafting a QB early this year, as well. We don't know how Manuel will turn out, but is there any reason to put all your eggs in one basket? Keep Manuel, draft another QB, then give them more weapons at WR and TE (and do addition by subtraction by getting rid of TJ Graham), improve the offensive line, and let the defense worry about itself. Focus on the offense. Offense wins championships. The only reason the defense has had trouble this year is because they're put on the field so much by a failing offense that gives the ball back to the other team far too quickly. If we can develop a QB, that defense would be protecting a lead, they wouldn't be on the field as much, and would be able to tee off on QBs even more than they already do.

Then a year or two down the road, when we've determined which QB is better, we can use the other for trade bait, hopefully get more high draft picks, and keep a winning cycle going (for once in this franchise's history). Granted, that's a pretty rosy outlook, but it's possible, especially if we can replace Hackett with an OC that actually has any idea what he's doing, whatsoever.

I find all these by fans who know more than the coaching staff and front office really interesting. It's amazing how many of you guys just know he has no chance of being good while a coaching staff with a lifetime of experience just can't see the game the way you geniuses see it.

There's a reason they give these guys time. It's because it's tough to weed out the bad ones after just a few starts because the good ones also generally look like crap early in their careers. So while you might end up being right that he'll end up not being good you'd also throw away a lot of talented QBs who started out slowly.

Fitzpatrick

Edwards

Losman

Johnson

Need I continue?

You flat-out claimed that EJ cannot throw. No bones about it. If your statement was limited to whether or not he can regularly hit a slant, then fine, say that, don't say "EJ can't throw", which is a patently incorrect statement.

And yes, he's hit 8-yard slants with a measure of consistency. What he hasn't done is consistently hit the crossing routes against heavy blitzes or connect on long sideline patterns.

All season long, I've tried and tried not to admit that EJ Manuel is woefully inaccurate. For the longest time, I blamed my lying eyes. But then last week, on the John Murphy Show, a nationally respected analyst whose publication (Pro Football Focus) breaks down every play of every NFL player every week, told us that EJ Manuel is the least accurate passer in the NFL.

Let me say it another way: EJ Manuel, according to dispassionate statistical analytics, is the most inaccurate passer in the NFL.

So according to expert testimony -- not just two guys like you and me blabbing on a message board -- your statements in defense of EJ's passing ability are patently incorrect.

(Love that phrase! Thanks for giving me another opportunity to use it.)

Should you wish to argue further, please take it up with Pro Football Focus. Impress them with your sophisticated understanding of slants and crossing routes. Their expert appears each week on the John Murphy Show. Perhaps you could contact John and offer to debate the PFF expert over this very issue!

Keep EJ around and let him compete for a starting spot next year -- against next year's 1st rd. QB selection. EJ has done nothing to solidify himself as an NFL starter. Buffalo absolutely should take the top QB available in the 2014 draft. The problem (to front office) is that they'd be admitting they made a mistake. So, in typical Bills fashion, they'll make ANOTHER mistake and NOT take the top QB next year and insist EJ just needs more development (which might be true, but too risky to pass on a QB next year given EJ's performance this season).

All season long, I've tried and tried not to admit that EJ Manuel is woefully inaccurate. For the longest time, I blamed my lying eyes. But then last week, on the John Murphy Show, a nationally respected analyst whose publication (Pro Football Focus) breaks down every play of every NFL player every week, told us that EJ Manuel is the least accurate passer in the NFL.

Let me say it another way: EJ Manuel, according to dispassionate statistical analytics, is the most inaccurate passer in the NFL.

So according to expert testimony -- not just two guys like you and me blabbing on a message board -- your statements in defense of EJ's passing ability are patently incorrect.

Should you wish to argue further, please take it up with Pro Football Focus. Impress them with your sophisticated understanding of slants and crossing routes. Their expert appears each week on the John Murphy Show. Perhaps you could contact John and offer to debate the PFF expert over this very issue!

Sadly, this means that Skip Bayless was correct.

We don't really know how hard it is to get rid of "these guys" now-a-days. Since the new rookie wage scale was put in we haven't seen anybody as bad as EJ right away. Nor have we seen a guy who was MOSTLY regarded as a mid-round pick selected so early. There aren't many eyes on Buffalo or EJ, so moving on could be much easier than we think.

Plus, it's a QB league. Somewhere somebody is going to eventually draft a QB in the first round two years in a row. It's bound to happen eventually.

With all that said, he'll be the starter next year. Buffalo doesn't have the brains or balls.

Meanwhile, we'll let the depth of the QB class slip through our fingers this year. Why? Because EJ was their guy. They knew better than everyone.

If the Bills org were a used car lot then they'd be among the most successful used car lots ever.

That's just one more scarlet letter that should be sewn into the walls at OBD.

Edited by TaskersGhost

Talk about a straw man.

I never mentioned accuracy at all. Yes, he needs to improve there for the record.

All I argued (accurately by the way) was the notion that EJ "cannot throw", a statement that is...wait for it...patently incorrect. Obviously you agree or you wouldn't have backed off of it so quickly.

And there's no need for you to get snarky with me. I called you out for making a dubious (you can use that one too) claim; that is all.

It's okay to disagree with someone AND be respectful. You don't have to get smart-alecky or build an argument out of nowhere.

As I've said countless times on this board, EJ's accuracy issues come down to footwork, timing, and--perhaps most of all--confidence. They can be fixed, so here's hoping it gets done.

PS--you may choose to also tune into Peter King's podcast each week and listen to PFF's Neil Hornsby talk about their Advanced Stats...see what he has to say about takin them as gospel.

But I'll caution you: it's far easier to attack someone's credibility anonymously.

Edited by thebandit27

Good grief man, I'm going to recount this for you once and then I'm moving on...

You said that EJ "cannot throw". I took issue with that, and so you changed your tune to say that the crux of your point was that he doesn't hit slant patterns often enough (which was, at best, a sidebar to the overriding theme of our initial claim).

That's textbook backing off.

And you can call PFF "expert testimony" all you want; there isn't one guy on that staff that is a professional talent evaluator...their own head honcho tells people (weekly) to take their analysis with a grain of salt.

And nice to see that you still cannot make a point without resorting to name-calling. Perhaps I was mistaken to think a constructive conversation was there to be had in the first place...my apologies.

Have a good one.

Conventional wisdom about rookie QB's, when applied to EJ Manuel, is invalidated by the fact that EJ can't throw. He might be able to launch it 50 yards in the air (and maybe even keep it inbounds!) but until he can regularly hit the 8-yard slant on 3rd and 7, it doesn't matter.

Conventional wisdom assumes the kid QB can throw. EJ can't.

When did you become a passing expert, last time I checked he EJ completed 8 yard slants.

Mike Pettine for HC

Christian Hackenberg QB

The dynasty begins

Favre was in Atlanta and I wish we traded up for Roesthlisberger. If by some miracle he becomes available we should snatch him up, a proven veteran is always better than hoping for a rookie to develop.

Dude Allen Robinson is not going to last until the 3rd round.

Cutler is sooo much better than Losman ever was it's not true. Cutler is a very talented QB IMO

It's funny listening to homers trash Cutler on the radio today

He's been a top half starting QB for many years now

Please, the Bills would be so darn lucky to have him

And there's no way Chicago is letting him go anyway