Are We Becoming A Nation of Pussies?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems the new masculine ideal is for men to be a bunch of soft, sensitive, emotional pu$$ies. I see it everywhere.

And before some pu$$y jumps in here with a strawman (i.e. The only alternative to being an emasculated pissant is to be a super dominant male monkey mother!@#$er) let me explain what I mean.

In my mind, masculinity is having the strength and courage to set emotion aside to think and act rationally and appropriately, from a reasonabe perspective, even in the face of fear or other conflicting emotions. It has little to do with willingness to resort to violence or unwillingness to show compassion.

It seems anytime anyone does anything that offends our sense of justice there's a huge overreaction, the story gets overblown, people get nauseatingly sanctimonious, and any measure of perspective goes out the window. What really bothers me is the extent to which the reaction of grown men so often resembles what you might expect from a 13 year old girl.

five examples of what you are talking about please (if you see it everywhere it should mean you have hundreds of examples) - as for bemoaning of men going soft it's been written about by Greeks and Romans, I have a 1939 readers digest that has an article " The Inner Threat : Our Own Softness" all the usually suspects "The rise of feminine values" "Civilization and material goods making the children soft and spoiled" an example of lost manhood bemoaned "The Cuspidor has all but disappeared and the cigarette has replaced the cigar and the cut plug" do you bemoan the loss of the Cuspidor, Rob?

Personally I think any man who is complaining about lost masculinity in his fellow man probably has a large wet manvag between his legs because a real man would taking advantage of all these pussified men to reap mountains of babes and swag.

It seems the new masculine ideal is for men to be a bunch of soft, sensitive, emotional pu$$ies. I see it everywhere.

That hurts. I'm going to go cut myself, have a nice cry and eat a quart of ice cream. Thanks for ruining my life, !@#$.

What pisses me off is that in media, commercials and sit coms guys are always portrayed as bumbling useless idiots who are likely to harm themselves until a smart woman comes and keeps it all together

I hate the Disney channel and Nickelodeon.

I hate the Disney channel and Nickelodeon.

They push the image of guys being morons, but its even subtle things like I saw a commercial yesterday that a guy was trying to fix pipes under his sink and caused a disaster...don't remember the commercial but that's beside the point.

It's not cool anymore to be an intelligent strong willed guy who is capable of doing things, uses logic and knows best.

They push the image of guys being morons, but its even subtle things like I saw a commercial yesterday that a guy was trying to fix pipes under his sink and caused a disaster...don't remember the commercial but that's beside the point.

It's not cool anymore to be an intelligent strong willed guy who is capable of doing things, uses logic and knows best.

Adam carolla talks about something similar that I've started to notice. Used to be, men would at least attempt to have some minimal level of proficiency at manly things like mechanics & carpentry. Now a lot of guys actually brag about not being able to change their oil & being too pu$$y to get their hands dirty. I don't see this behavior as often b/c I live in the south, but we have enough carpet baggers and west coast transplants for me to recognize what he's talking about.

Adam carolla talks about something similar that I've started to notice. Used to be, men would at least attempt to have some minimal level of proficiency at manly things like mechanics & carpentry. Now a lot of guys actually brag about not being able to change their oil & being too pu$$y to get their hands dirty. I don't see this behavior as often b/c I live in the south, but we have enough carpet baggers and west coast transplants for me to recognize what he's talking about.

Just give it 50 more years B-) (or 48 more)

Not all guys are portrayed as morons. Just the ones that aren't pussies.

Every day. I wake up and offer a blanket apology for anything I might do that day. Main reason we're still together after 30 plus years.

I just apologize every couple of days, out of the blue. About a third of the time, I get a "thank you for being so understanding" sort of response, having absolutely no idea what I might have just apologized for.

five examples of what you are talking about please (if you see it everywhere it should mean you have hundreds of examples) - as for bemoaning of men going soft it's been written about by Greeks and Romans, I have a 1939 readers digest that has an article " The Inner Threat : Our Own Softness" all the usually suspects "The rise of feminine values" "Civilization and material goods making the children soft and spoiled" an example of lost manhood bemoaned "The Cuspidor has all but disappeared and the cigarette has replaced the cigar and the cut plug" do you bemoan the loss of the Cuspidor, Rob?

Personally I think any man who is complaining about lost masculinity in his fellow man probably has a large wet manvag between his legs because a real man would taking advantage of all these pussified men to reap mountains of babes and swag.

+1

Isn't that the fault of increased prosperity and technological innovation? First off, I change my own oil, but it is dirty, it does mean I have to get rid of the used oil and its not any cheaper. So I question what's the point?

In a sense, I think many people are making their Children out to be unrealistic, entitled, emotionally soft hair pies.

Helicopter parenting is turning out a new generation of kids who don't know how to be dissappointed, have their feeling hurt, be reponsible, etc... too bad life is the exact opposite.. alot.

In a sense, I think many people are making their Children out to be unrealistic, entitled, emotionally soft hair pies.

Helicopter parenting is turning out a new generation of kids who don't know how to be dissappointed, have their feeling hurt, be reponsible, etc... too bad life is the exact opposite.. alot.

And a lot of that is because parents want to be their kids best friends and not an authority figure provide discipline.

Interesting that you would automatically take a defensive stance here. It reminds me of a time I wrote an article for my college paper about dangers to women on campus. Included in my article were anecdotes of multiple unnamed women who told me they had been roofed at an unnamed frat house. Wouldn't you know, the one & only frat who spoke up & threatened legal action was the same one the girls accused. Must have hit little Lybobbie a little too close to home.

Also, my concern has little to do with behavior of individual men, but rather a disturbing trend in the culture. But it seems Lybobbie anxiously awaits an emasculated culture where he fits in.

Isn't that the fault of increased prosperity and technological innovation? First off, I change my own oil, but it is dirty, it does mean I have to get rid of the used oil and its not any cheaper. So I question what's the point?

I rarely change my own oil either. That's not the point. I derive a certain level of satisfaction knowing that I can change my own spark plugs & brake pads. I get satisfaction out of building a deck or installing a ceiling fan. If I'm ever in a bind where I don't have the luxury of hired help (like getting a flat tire in the mountains) I have at least some level of self sufficiency. On a more primal level I just have a hard time respecting a man who takes pride in being helpless.

And a lot of that is because parents want to be their kids best friends and not an authority figure provide discipline.

its !@#$ed up, I see SO many parents reasoning and bargaining wiht their kids. There was no bargain in my house, my Mom set the rules, my Dad stepped in to enforece if there was a "gray area".....

Interesting that you would automatically take a defensive stance here. It reminds me of a time I wrote an article for my college paper about dangers to women on campus. Included in my article were anecdotes of multiple unnamed women who told me they had been roofed at an unnamed frat house. Wouldn't you know, the one & only frat who spoke up & threatened legal action was the same one the girls accused. Must have hit little Lybobbie a little too close to home.

Also, my concern has little to do with behavior of individual men, but rather a disturbing trend in the culture. But it seems Lybobbie anxiously awaits an emasculated culture where he fits in.

I rarely change my own oil either. That's not the point. I derive a certain level of satisfaction knowing that I can change my own spark plugs & brake pads. I get satisfaction out of building a deck or installing a ceiling fan. If I'm ever in a bind where I don't have the luxury of hired help (like getting a flat tire in the mountains) I have at least some level of self sufficiency. On a more primal level I just have a hard time respecting a man who takes pride in being helpless.

I wish I could build my own deck! That is something I really wish I could do well.