Howard and Simon this morning with Doug Marrone

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I just heard the interview on the archives and was just going to start a thread about the interview. It seems as though these interviews with Marrone can come across as contentious. In todays interview, I got the feeling that Howard and Simon are getting a bit tired of his act and want him to answer the questions asked.

I like Marrone, but he does do a little dancing around questions. It think it comes from both sides, Marrone dancing around questions, but also, Howard and Simon becoming a bit more emboldened in recent weeks and coming across somewhat douchey.

I will admit, the last part where Marrone was talking about the veterans and thanking them and then Howard saying "ok thanks coach" to which Marrone responded, "wheres your enthusiasm for our troops", was a little awkward. Howard just reapeated "ok thanks coach" as if to say, shut up, we're done here.

Anyone else feel like Howard and Simon are digging and making the segment a bit contentious?

Did they ask him why he punted in the 4th quarter? That bothered me more than anything else that happened all game.

I agree 100%. I just wish Marrone had the b@lls to let the analytics department help decide 4th downs based on field position and distance to gain. It's long overdue. I am sick and tired of punting for field position. As Easterbrook says, 4th and 5 on the PIT 36 with 14:09 in the 4th quarter : Punt = GAME OVER.

Edited by AdamK

I agree 100%. I just wish Marrone had the "internal fortitude" to let the analytics department help decide 4th downs based on field position and distance to gain. It's long overdue. I am sick and tired of punting for field position. As Easterbrook says, 4th and 5 on the PIT 36 with 14:09 in the 4th quarter - GAME OVER.

Did you mean "intestinal fortitude"?

I agree 100%. I just wish Marrone had the "internal fortitude" to let the analytics department help decide 4th downs based on field position and distance to gain. It's long overdue. I am sick and tired of punting for field position. As Easterbrook says, 4th and 5 on the PIT 36 with 14:09 in the 4th quarter - GAME OVER.

Yes, I hope he will learn this going fwd but I will say that I see veteran, SB winning coaches making the same in game calls that make you scratch your head. So not sure it is being a 1st year HC or what. Still frustrating.

Say what you want about Spiller, but I can't agree with the "lack of toughness" comment. The guy gutted it out on a high ankle sprain for four weeks when someone lacking toughness would have shut it down until healthy. Arguably, Spiller's "toughness" cost the Bills because they could have had Choice in there at full strength.

Agree 100%, toughness is a non-issue with Spiller. I think it's all vision and decision making, which make Spiller look second rate in comparison to Freddie who excels in those areas.

I just heard the interview on the archives and was just going to start a thread about the interview. It seems as though these interviews with Marrone can come across as contentious. In todays interview, I got the feeling that Howard and Simon are getting a bit tired of his act and want him to answer the questions asked.

I like Marrone, but he does do a little dancing around questions. It think it comes from both sides, Marrone dancing around questions, but also, Howard and Simon becoming a bit more emboldened in recent weeks and coming across somewhat douchey.

I will admit, the last part where Marrone was talking about the veterans and thanking them and then Howard saying "ok thanks coach" to which Marrone responded, "wheres your enthusiasm for our troops", was a little awkward. Howard just reapeated "ok thanks coach" as if to say, shut up, we're done here.

Anyone else feel like Howard and Simon are digging and making the segment a bit contentious?

All the media does it dig. I get it and it's their job, but if you dealt with them all the time, you'd get annoyed too. Belichick gives the media nothing and he should. People put way too much stock in press conferences or interviews. Good coaches should give you very little. you gain nothing but explaining your thought process to the media.

Could it be that the guy can't catch anything but dump offs?

In theory, it may be great to utilize the speed mismatch. But maybe based on practice, they know it will be Graham V 2.0 if they call those plays?

He was used on wheel routes in the past.

I like Marrone and I hopethink he's a winner, but the way they're calling this offense sometimes is baffling. We use Shotgun as a base offense with a rookie quarterback, and two standout halfbacks. That's emphasizing your weaknesses. This team should be in the I-formation the majority of the time, run everything through Freddie and Spiller and play action off of that. Put the Shotgun to bed until you face third and long. When they used the I-form against Baltimore they ended up with a number of successful run plays followed by a beautiful play action bomb from Manuel to Woods- this should be our base offense all the time. Why you would come out in Manuel's first game back and put him in the Shotgun right from the first possession through the whole game is way beyond my comprehension. We're a running team that insists on neutralizing ourselves with the way we line up.

The coaches are far from hopeless but I do think they need to make a change. If it were me I'd tell Hackett he's temporarily banned from using Shotgun other than 3rd down and at least 5 to go. The coaches need to play to the offense's strengths or EJ doesn't stand a chance.

Edited by J-Gun Boone

All the media does it dig. I get it and it's their job, but if you dealt with them all the time, you'd get annoyed too. Belichick gives the media nothing and he should. People put way too much stock in press conferences or interviews. Good coaches should give you very little. you gain nothing but explaining your thought process to the media.

Agreed, for the record, I am more on Marrone's side on this debate. I think Howard and Simon are out of line at times.

He was used on wheel routes in the past.

I believe in the interview, Marrone made a passing statement that he may be used in a wheel route, he just wont be used lined up outside.

Marrone also admitted he is not keen using spiller in the passing game. Especially vertically. Said it's easier to hand the ball off to him. Only likes utilizing screens, very short stuff.

So Spiller has shown no capability to be consistent when being handed the ball, can't pass protect to save his life, and Marrone does not want to use him in the passing game. Awesome.

I believe in the interview, Marrone made a passing statement that he may be used in a wheel route, he just wont be used lined up outside.

I still believe he would be better as a slot receiver, but Marrone should know more than me so lets hope he is right.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I listened to the whole thing...It was a little awkward... I think Marrone was actually trying to give them a hard time like he has in the past...jokingly of course...and it did not come off like that at all....

I do have to say that the week before they had a real good back and forth that was entertaining...I think this week the problem was that Howard and Jeremy wanted a serious question answered and Marrone wanted to joke around a bit...then when they called him out on it he was still trying to play it off and it came across kinda weird... B-)

I still believe he would be better as a slot receiver, but Marrone should know more than me so lets hope he is right.

Wasn't he the #2 receiver a couple of years ago due to injury? Can't remember how he did in that time production-wise, but he has been split out wide in the past.

If this is true and I'm not doubting you then he has lost all credibility with me. Why on earth would you not want to utilize a guy like Spiller in every possible way

I really liked the Marrone hire but he is reminding me more and more of Jauron every day

Listen to the link in this thread with the interview.

I bet Marrone acts differently with interviewers he respects more...like Murphy or some National guys.

You're kidding right. Murphy is employed by the Bills. If you mean by respect not asking tough questions and toeing the company line, then you're right.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I like Marrone and I hopethink he's a winner, but the way they're calling this offense sometimes is baffling. We use Shotgun as a base offense with a rookie quarterback, and two standout halfbacks. That's emphasizing your weaknesses. This team should be in the I-formation the majority of the time, run everything through Freddie and Spiller and play action off of that. Put the Shotgun to bed until you face third and long. When they used the I-form against Baltimore they ended up with a number of successful run plays followed by a beautiful play action bomb from Manuel to Woods- this should be our base offense all the time. Why you would come out in Manuel's first game back and put him in the Shotgun right from the first possession through the whole game is way beyond my comprehension. We're a running team that insists on neutralizing ourselves with the way we line up.

The coaches are far from hopeless but I do think they need to make a change. If it were me I'd tell Hackett he's temporarily banned from using Shotgun other than 3rd down and at least 5 to go. The coaches need to play to the offense's strengths or EJ doesn't stand a chance.

Part of the problem with the offense might be with Marrone as well.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

i have not heard it yet, but i will listen to it soon.

I hope wish that he'd get more questions about why in the eff you see kay he is always punting from mid-field! that is the one thing can't stand about this coach..the only thing really.

regarding the media...i do not get fans who whine about media guys expressing opinions and asking challenging questions. it's what they're paid to do and i don't know why some people on this site treat it like such high treason because they disagree with some writers opinion. i love when bucky/sully or whoever makes these guys squirm with a tough questions or column. and i don't always agree with them! i just think it's an important job (as important as any of this crap is...it's just fun and games really).

Edited by jester43

Well I listened to the interview and think the OP is way off base. I didn't get any of that. As for those of you that are (over)reacting to his post, I suggest listening to the interview. He did get a bit snippy when they kept trying to be negative with their questions and paint him into a corner. He says he is trying to stay positive and suggested they do the same. Never once did he cross any line or even have his tone change. As for the Spiller comment that everyone is (over)reacting too, he didn't say he wasn't go to use him in the passing game, he said most rbs start out in the backfield and that is what they have CJ do. It wasn't that they weren't going to give him the ball or wanted to underutilize talent, it was that there are better (in his opinion) ways to get him the ball.