A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order

Bill from NYC

Manuel today displayed the combined worst qualities of Losman and Edwards. His mechanics were terrible - his errant footwork and inaccurate throws reminded me of Losman. Meanwhile, he locked onto the check down receiver on most plays and couldn't wait to get the ball out of his hands, a la Edwards. It was one of the single worst quarterbacking displays I've ever witnessed and it has me questioning what I thought I had seen from him during the first month of the season.

Meanwhile the OC is a total joke. Taking Spiller off of the field after every good run? Refusing to find creative ways to get Spiller the ball in space? Once again abandoning the screen game? Wtf is with Hacket? Seriously, what's wrong with the guy?

I'll say it again: if Marrone is stubborn and tethers himself to Hacket, his NFL shelf life will be short. This has to stop.

Hacket seems to call a good game followed by a bad game. But his lack of any screen plays for the first 3 games was certainly disturbing.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think yesterday was representative of this football team. Nearly every team, and certainly every team in rebuilding mode, plays a stinker now and then where nothing goes right and they just aren't competitive from early in the game. Up to this point, this team has been in every game except the Saints and Jets, and even there, they gave us some things to like. To me, yesterday was an outlier and I am putting that one away.

That said, I don't think things are looking all that rosy right now. There are real problems in all 3 phases of the game that have me worried. Improved in some areas, but we still are not really utilizing talented players on offense, still give up too many 3rd down conversions on defense. And we don't have a QB.

So the team is somewhere between the 2 major poles (cuz it's bipolar) that dominate this board: this team is garbage and everything about needs to go to the curb, and there is no reason this team can't run the table. I do think we can put the "Bills get no respect in the media" complaint to bed, at least until August.

A question: can anyone point to a QB with problems similar to EJ's (bad footwork leading to poor accuracy) who got it corrected and went on to have a good or even decent career? I don't know enough about this stuff to diagnose a QB's problems, so I certainly can't answer that question. I do know that lots of rookie QBs look like crap and turn out okay, but are there lots of QBs who turn out okay with this set of issues?

kj

Good post! :thumbsup:

Off the top of my head, I cannot think of any QB who had EJ's combination of issues, who went on to become any good. Part of the problem is the mental lapses, which most rookie QBs will face. Part of it is the accuracy issues. Part is that thus far, he's shown very few flashes of being anything other than a very mediocre QB. Peyton Manning made a lot of mistakes as a rookie, but he also showed flashes of what he would later become. Maybe EJ is also showing us flashes of what he will become; but if so his destiny isn't too inspiring.

With EJ, the problem isn't just the flaws which occur some of the time. It's the nearly complete absence of franchise QB-like traits the rest of the time. I think it's extremely unlikely he will overcome enough of his present flaws/absence of virtues to become a real answer at QB.

EJ's issues are probably more common than not. It's not like we've followed every rookie QB's issues and so on for a decade and can recite them all from memory or anything. Most rookie QB's struggle at the NFL level and even look terrible at times. He goes through his progressions too quickly and is extremely cautious with his throws. He also showed serious rust yesterday from an obvious lack of practice reps for the last month. That fade looked like a pass he hadn't thrown in awhile. His "internal clock" seemed off and many of his throws on timing patterns were late. He did not look like this in his previous games, so the missed time was likely a factor. He isn't a seasoned vet I doubt his problems were thought to be anything unique or incorrectable or the guy wouldn't have appeared on any draft boards. More time throwing to his WR's should help and just getting in valuable practice time. The Jets are coming up, so I'm not expecting much improvement this week. I don't know, but Rex Ryan might have 1 loss to a rook QB

Hackett has to go. I know he won't be going, but he has to.

He will go, and it will probably be when he gets Marrone fired.

Dunno how so many fans can condemn a QB who clearly lacked support around him. EJ was listed as probable so he wasn't 100%. Where was the run game effective to take pressure away from him? Who does he have to throw to?

I see a bad game plan, bad play calling, bad running attack, and the teams two best WR's out injured.

Glad I'm not the only one who sees things this way....

"RUSHING OFFENSE: D -- Given the Steelers struggles stopping the run, rookie EJ Manuel likely being rusty, and the gusty winds that blew all day, the Bills needed to run effectively, and they didn't. The Steelers ranked 31st in the league"

http://sports.yahoo....17118--nfl.html

Edited by FeartheLosing

9) Big time kudos once again to Kyle Williams. The middle held up pretty well under the circumstances. Dareus and Branch both looked very good too.

11) Hughes can play. I heard the announcer say that he has 6 QB sacks.

Dline seemed to play Branch, Williams, Dareus rotating through End & Dt with Hughes as the rush end, Kiko in the Middle, Mario & Manny in 2point. Mario looked outta sorts as a LBer.

Oh & special teams haven't been special, unless you can count on them giving up containment when it matters.

Dline seemed to play Branch, Williams, Dareus rotating through End & Dt with Hughes as the rush end, Kiko in the Middle, Mario & Manny in 2point. Mario looked outta sorts as a LBer.

Oh & special teams haven't been special, unless you can count on them giving up containment when it matters.

I thought Bryant at dt played well too, I thought he could have earned some playing time this week at the expense of branch.

Good post! :thumbsup:

Off the top of my head, I cannot think of any QB who had EJ's combination of issues, who went on to become any good. Part of the problem is the mental lapses, which most rookie QBs will face. Part of it is the accuracy issues. Part is that thus far, he's shown very few flashes of being anything other than a very mediocre QB. Peyton Manning made a lot of mistakes as a rookie, but he also showed flashes of what he would later become. Maybe EJ is also showing us flashes of what he will become; but if so his destiny isn't too inspiring.

With EJ, the problem isn't just the flaws which occur some of the time. It's the nearly complete absence of franchise QB-like traits the rest of the time. I think it's extremely unlikely he will overcome enough of his present flaws/absence of virtues to become a real answer at QB.

If you put together a physcal profile for a high end qb prospect EJ would easily fit the bill. He has the size, athleticism and high character traits to entice a lot of scouts. However, when you watch him play and compare him to other high end prospects who developed into quality franchise qbs then your eyes tell you another story. His mechanics are awful. His footwork is atrocious. How bad? Tebowesque.! At this point I'm not as concerned about his ability to make the right reads as many others are. What has me fretting is his lack of accuracy and touch on the simple throws. In The NFL you have to be able to throw into tight spots and have the ability to trust yourself to make anticipatory throws to spots before the receiver makes his move. So far I haven't seen him be able to do that. It's still very early in his career but what I have seen so far makes me queasy.

If you put together a physcal profile for a high end qb prospect EJ would easily fit the bill. He has the size, athleticism and high character traits to entice a lot of scouts. However, when you watch him play and compare him to other high end prospects who developed into quality franchise qbs then your eyes tell you another story. His mechanics are awful. His footwork is atrocious. How bad? Tebowesque.! At this point I'm not as concerned about his ability to make the right reads as many others are. What has me fretting is his lack of accuracy and touch on the simple throws. In The NFL you have to be able to throw into tight spots and have the ability to trust yourself to make anticipatory throws to spots before the receiver makes his move. So far I haven't seen him be able to do that. It's still very early in his career but what I have seen so far makes me queasy.

> At this point I'm not as concerned about his ability to make the right reads as many others are.

They didn't ask him to make more than 1 - 2 reads when he was in college. As far as I'm concerned, his ability to make the right reads is a serious concern until he proves that it isn't.

> What has me fretting is his lack of accuracy and touch on the simple throws.

Yes, this is an extremely serious concern.

Even in high school, Joe Montana displayed a consistent level of exceptional accuracy. If a QB isn't displaying basic accuracy by the time he gets to the NFL level, odds are heavily against him ever becoming accurate.

At this point, Manuel displays a tendency to check down all the time (Trent Edwards), a lack of basic accuracy (Fitzpatrick), inability to read defenses (Losman) and a lack of pocket awareness (a hint of Rob Johnson). I realize he's a rookie, and rookie QBs often improve. But in this particular case, I think we're seeing more than rookie inexperience. Some of the issues we're seeing probably won't get fixed, and will end up preventing Manuel from rising above the Losman/Edwards level. Assuming he even reaches the Losman/Edwards level.

At this point, Manuel displays a tendency to check down all the time (Trent Edwards), a lack of basic accuracy (Fitzpatrick), inability to read defenses (Losman) and a lack of pocket awareness (a hint of Rob Johnson).

Oh my god. Just kill me.

What's missing, the ability to unite the locker room like Flutie? At least he isn't as slow as Bledsoe!

At this point, Manuel displays a tendency to check down all the time (Trent Edwards), a lack of basic accuracy (Fitzpatrick), inability to read defenses (Losman) and a lack of pocket awareness (a hint of Rob Johnson). I realize he's a rookie, and rookie QBs often improve. But in this particular case, I think we're seeing more than rookie inexperience. Some of the issues we're seeing probably won't get fixed, and will end up preventing Manuel from rising above the Losman/Edwards level. Assuming he even reaches the Losman/Edwards level.

EJ had a piss poor game on Sunday. That is the extent of it.

You need to review his earlier games to see him display every trait you accuse him of lacking above. From N.E. through Cleveland, with the exception of a poor game against the Jets, he made the kinds of reads and plays that you need to see out of a prospect.

The ONE thing he showed me on Sunday, that I hadn't seen previously, was impatience on too many plays. He was WAY too fast in everything he did, which made the problems with his lower body mechanics even worse.

GO BILLS!!!

EJ had a piss poor game on Sunday. That is the extent of it.

You need to review his earlier games to see him display every trait you accuse him of lacking above. From N.E. through Cleveland, with the exception of a poor game against the Jets, he made the kinds of reads and plays that you need to see out of a prospect.

The ONE thing he showed me on Sunday, that I hadn't seen previously, was impatience on too many plays. He was WAY too fast in everything he did, which made the problems with his lower body mechanics even worse.

GO BILLS!!!

> You need to review his earlier games to see him display every trait you accuse him of lacking above.

The extent of his earlier successes has been greatly exaggerated. Even in his "good" games, he missed a number of reads. Thus far he's done nothing which would indicate he can handle a complex offense or quickly make multiple reads after the snap. I get that he's a rookie; and most rookies struggle with that kind of stuff. But let's not pretend he's proved more than he has.

As for his accuracy issues, I'll grant that there were a few "big boy" throws in some of his earlier games. If you want to find hope in him based on those 1 - 2 plays per game, be my guest. I won't stop you. But if you look at all the other throws over the course of those games, there wasn't much there to suggest he'd rise above the Losman/Edwards level. In one of the games in question, he was relatively ineffective for three quarters; then went on to make some big plays on a TD drive in the fourth. "He played well when it mattered," people claimed at the time, as they remembered that one TD drive while forgetting everything which had happened before. That got chalked up as a "good" game for Manuel.

> EJ had a piss poor game on Sunday. That is the extent of it.

He played every bit as poorly as Tuel did against the Browns. Tuel was a rookie, got no practice snaps during the week leading up to the game, and experienced the near-complete collapse of his pass protection. (Not to mention WR drops, no running game, etc.) Based on Tuel's poor performance in 1.5 quarters of play, you were ready to release him from the roster.

Manuel was also a rookie, got almost all the practice snaps leading up to the Steelers game, and received decent pass protection. And played as poorly as Tuel had against Cleveland. Your response to this was to inform us he's a rookie, and every rookie has a clunker now and then.

You are clearly using a vastly different measuring stick for Manuel than you are for Tuel. Why is that?

> You need to review his earlier games to see him display every trait you accuse him of lacking above.

The extent of his earlier successes has been greatly exaggerated. Even in his "good" games, he missed a number of reads. Thus far he's done nothing which would indicate he can handle a complex offense or quickly make multiple reads after the snap. I get that he's a rookie; and most rookies struggle with that kind of stuff. But let's not pretend he's proved more than he has.

As for his accuracy issues, I'll grant that there were a few "big boy" throws in some of his earlier games. If you want to find hope in him based on those 1 - 2 plays per game, be my guest. I won't stop you. But if you look at all the other throws over the course of those games, there wasn't much there to suggest he'd rise above the Losman/Edwards level. In one of the games in question, he was relatively ineffective for three quarters; then went on to make some big plays on a TD drive in the fourth. "He played well when it mattered," people claimed at the time, as they remembered that one TD drive while forgetting everything which had happened before. That got chalked up as a "good" game for Manuel.

> EJ had a piss poor game on Sunday. That is the extent of it.

He played every bit as poorly as Tuel did against the Browns. Tuel was a rookie, got no practice snaps during the week leading up to the game, and experienced the near-complete collapse of his pass protection. (Not to mention WR drops, no running game, etc.) Based on Tuel's poor performance in 1.5 quarters of play, you were ready to release him from the roster.

Manuel was also a rookie, got almost all the practice snaps leading up to the Steelers game, and received decent pass protection. And played as poorly as Tuel had against Cleveland. Your response to this was to inform us he's a rookie, and every rookie has a clunker now and then.

You are clearly using a vastly different measuring stick for Manuel than you are for Tuel. Why is that?

I'm using a vastly different tool because they are vastly different QBs at vastly different levels of talent. Tuel has shown FAR FAR less ability in his limited snaps than has Manuel. In every facet of the game. The only edge Tuel has is his lower body mechanics but that is readily correctable.

And no, I'm not basing my opinion of Manuel on one or two snaps, it's the entire body of work to date. He has shown every reason why the Bills chose him to groom for the position.

The Pitt game was the exception, not the rule, from what I've observed so far. He had a terrible game mostly due to one thing I hadn't seen previously; lack of poise in the pocket. That's what I'll be keying on moving forward.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm using a vastly different tool because they are vastly different QBs at vastly different levels of talent. Tuel has shown FAR FAR less ability in his limited snaps than has Manuel. In every facet of the game. The only edge Tuel has is his lower body mechanics but that is readily correctable.

And no, I'm not basing my opinion of Manuel on one or two snaps, it's the entire body of work to date. He has shown every reason why the Bills chose him to groom for the position.

The Pitt game was the exception, not the rule, from what I've observed so far. He had a terrible game mostly due to one thing I hadn't seen previously; lack of poise in the pocket. That's what I'll be keying on moving forward.

GO BILLS!!!

> I'm using a vastly different tool because they are vastly different QBs at vastly different levels of talent.

How are you defining talent? If you're referring to physical tools, then I agree Manuel has a significant edge over Tuel. If you're referring to the other aspects of the game, I'll grant that Manuel generally looked better than Tuel in practice. But Manuel's overall advantage over Tuel is far less pronounced than the difference in physical tools would suggest.

> The only edge Tuel has is his lower body mechanics but that is readily correctable.

That's going awfully far. Manuel has significant issues with long ball accuracy. Maybe you believe Tuel has those same issues; in which case the two would be about even.

Also, nothing I've seen about Manuel--either in college or the NFL--suggests he's very good at throwing into tight coverage. If you watch

, you'll see that almost every highlight throw was to a wide-open guy. In the NFL, if his intermediate to deep targets haven't been wide open, his instinct has usually been to check down. This seems like another area in which Tuel may have an advantage over Manuel.

It's also possible Tuel has a better grasp of the mental side of the game; but I am not certain of this.

> He has shown every reason why the Bills chose him to groom for the position.

I think you're seeing what you want to see, not looking critically at what is (and isn't) there. I don't expect you to agree with me right this instant. But two to three years from now, you'll probably have come to have realized this for yourself.

Guys, Dallas Cowboys QB Tony Romo stunk it up facing this very same type of blitz heavy 3-4 defense. His effort against the Saints this past Sunday, 10 of 24 for 128 yards, 1 TD. The Cowboys even had a semblance of a running game with Murray going 16 of 89, 1 TD. The problem was they didn't run enough to play keep away from Drew Brees, and he torched them every time the Saints got the ball 17-49. So even top experienced QB's can look bad against that style of defense.

My take is that in the early games that EJ played well in the opposing defenses didn't blitz like crazy, and instead played coverage's in hopes the rookie makes a mistake or two. Which to his credit he didn't. The blitz heavy 3-4s this team have faced basically destroyed the Bills offensive game plan Jets, Saints, Steelers.

I suspect you can probably expect another lack of poise game this Sunday against the Jets, unless the Bills OC changes up the game plan. They did sack EJ 8 times last time they played in week 3. The Bills 25 rushes for 120 yards, passing 19 of 42, 1 TD.

It was a baffling game plan. I agree. I really am wondering why EJ isn't under center more?

You and me both.

> I'm using a vastly different tool because they are vastly different QBs at vastly different levels of talent.

How are you defining talent? If you're referring to physical tools, then I agree Manuel has a significant edge over Tuel. If you're referring to the other aspects of the game, I'll grant that Manuel generally looked better than Tuel in practice. But Manuel's overall advantage over Tuel is far less pronounced than the difference in physical tools would suggest.

> The only edge Tuel has is his lower body mechanics but that is readily correctable.

That's going awfully far. Manuel has significant issues with long ball accuracy. Maybe you believe Tuel has those same issues; in which case the two would be about even.

Also, nothing I've seen about Manuel--either in college or the NFL--suggests he's very good at throwing into tight coverage. If you watch

, you'll see that almost every highlight throw was to a wide-open guy. In the NFL, if his intermediate to deep targets haven't been wide open, his instinct has usually been to check down. This seems like another area in which Tuel may have an advantage over Manuel.

It's also possible Tuel has a better grasp of the mental side of the game; but I am not certain of this.

> He has shown every reason why the Bills chose him to groom for the position.

I think you're seeing what you want to see, not looking critically at what is (and isn't) there. I don't expect you to agree with me right this instant. But two to three years from now, you'll probably have come to have realized this for yourself.

Seeing what I want to see? That is laughable considering my background, which there is really no need to go into here. I just get a kick out of that. Let's just say, I've been conditioned to see exactly what I DON'T want to see.

How am I defining talent? Physical, obviously. Mental acuity. And leadership intangibles. All of which Manuel demonstrates a significant advantage over Tuel.

Long ball accuracy. That get's tossed around quite a bit here. And it's ridiculous because no QB in the history of the game can make a living throwing the long ball, whatever that is. Manuel has shown he can indeed throw a long pass. He struggles with a particular long ball route; the sideline go route. My belief is he just doesn't trust himself. Indeed, his biggest issue is confidence at the moment. But he HAS made long completions. Let's not pretend that he hasn't.

As I've said before, the benchmark throw form Manuel this year is the one he threw to Chandler in the second quarter of the Pats game that led to setting up his TD to Woods. He threw to a tight window and to a spot that created the opening for Chandler to make the play. Tuel, Lewis, and any QB we've had on the roster this year simply can't make that throw.

If there is one area of concern that I have, it's Manuel's patience in the pocket which I think is related to his confidence problems right now. He's hurrying EVERYTHING which leads me to believe he's playing not to screw up. If that continues he'll wash out regardless of any other aspect of his game. We'll know soon enough.

GO BILLS!!!

Seeing what I want to see? That is laughable considering my background, which there is really no need to go into here. I just get a kick out of that. Let's just say, I've been conditioned to see exactly what I DON'T want to see.

How am I defining talent? Physical, obviously. Mental acuity. And leadership intangibles. All of which Manuel demonstrates a significant advantage over Tuel.

Long ball accuracy. That get's tossed around quite a bit here. And it's ridiculous because no QB in the history of the game can make a living throwing the long ball, whatever that is. Manuel has shown he can indeed throw a long pass. He struggles with a particular long ball route; the sideline go route. My belief is he just doesn't trust himself. Indeed, his biggest issue is confidence at the moment. But he HAS made long completions. Let's not pretend that he hasn't.

As I've said before, the benchmark throw form Manuel this year is the one he threw to Chandler in the second quarter of the Pats game that led to setting up his TD to Woods. He threw to a tight window and to a spot that created the opening for Chandler to make the play. Tuel, Lewis, and any QB we've had on the roster this year simply can't make that throw.

If there is one area of concern that I have, it's Manuel's patience in the pocket which I think is related to his confidence problems right now. He's hurrying EVERYTHING which leads me to believe he's playing not to screw up. If that continues he'll wash out regardless of any other aspect of his game. We'll know soon enough.

GO BILLS!!!

> Seeing what I want to see? That is laughable considering my background

TD saw what he wanted to see in Losman; despite TD's very extensive football background. Buddy Nix saw what he wanted to see in Fitzpatrick; despite having been a football professional for decades. None of us is immune from seeing what we want to see, no matter how much time we've spent watching film or being around the game.

The only protection against that flaw is humility: the knowledge that one isn't perfect, and must therefore compensate through extra intellectual rigor and sheer determination not to be misled by one's emotions.

> Long ball accuracy. That get's tossed around quite a bit here. And it's ridiculous because no

> QB in the history of the game can make a living throwing the long ball, whatever that is.

It isn't ridiculous at all. The ability to throw an accurate long ball should be a tool in a QB's tool box. No one is asking the QB to make a living with that particular tool. But there will be times when the long ball is exactly the right tool. When those times occur, Manuel is at a disadvantage, because his long ball accuracy is highly inconsistent.

> As I've said before, the benchmark throw [from] Manuel this year is the one he threw to Chandler in the

> second quarter of the Pats game that led to setting up his TD to Woods. . . . Tuel, Lewis, and any QB

> we've had on the roster this year simply can't make that throw.

Sanchez also made throws that Tuel and Lewis can't make. It's nice to have a QB who can make throws other QBs can't. But the ability to do that isn't the heart of what makes a good QB.

> How am I defining talent? Physical, obviously. Mental acuity. And leadership intangibles. All of which Manuel demonstrates a significant advantage over Tuel.

Your claim that Manuel has displayed more mental acuity than Tuel is part of why I think you're seeing what you want to see. In college, Manuel consistently threw to his first or second read. (His coaches never asked him to do more.) In the NFL, he's been asked to run what appears to be a very simplified offense that appears to be much more "protect the rookie" and much less wide-open than the offense Tuel was asked to run against the Chiefs. I'm not seeing anything which, when looked at objectively, would lead one to believe Manuel has demonstrated a deeper grasp of the game than Tuel; at either the college or NFL level.

> Seeing what I want to see? That is laughable considering my background

TD saw what he wanted to see in Losman; despite TD's very extensive football background. Buddy Nix saw what he wanted to see in Fitzpatrick; despite having been a football professional for decades. None of us is immune from seeing what we want to see, no matter how much time we've spent watching film or being around the game.

The only protection against that flaw is humility: the knowledge that one isn't perfect, and must therefore compensate through extra intellectual rigor and sheer determination not to be misled by one's emotions.

> Long ball accuracy. That get's tossed around quite a bit here. And it's ridiculous because no

> QB in the history of the game can make a living throwing the long ball, whatever that is.

It isn't ridiculous at all. The ability to throw an accurate long ball should be a tool in a QB's tool box. No one is asking the QB to make a living with that particular tool. But there will be times when the long ball is exactly the right tool. When those times occur, Manuel is at a disadvantage, because his long ball accuracy is highly inconsistent.

> As I've said before, the benchmark throw [from] Manuel this year is the one he threw to Chandler in the

> second quarter of the Pats game that led to setting up his TD to Woods. . . . Tuel, Lewis, and any QB

> we've had on the roster this year simply can't make that throw.

Sanchez also made throws that Tuel and Lewis can't make. It's nice to have a QB who can make throws other QBs can't. But the ability to do that isn't the heart of what makes a good QB.

> How am I defining talent? Physical, obviously. Mental acuity. And leadership intangibles. All of which Manuel demonstrates a significant advantage over Tuel.

Your claim that Manuel has displayed more mental acuity than Tuel is part of why I think you're seeing what you want to see. In college, Manuel consistently threw to his first or second read. (His coaches never asked him to do more.) In the NFL, he's been asked to run what appears to be a very simplified offense that appears to be much more "protect the rookie" and much less wide-open than the offense Tuel was asked to run against the Chiefs. I'm not seeing anything which, when looked at objectively, would lead one to believe Manuel has demonstrated a deeper grasp of the game than Tuel; at either the college or NFL level.

From a pure scouts perspective, it's more important to note the things you DON'T see. I'll leave it at that. But I can GUARANTEE that TD didn't "see" the same things the scouts saw when it came to JP Losman. He ignored that information at his own peril.

Buddy Nix NEVER saw a franchise QB in Fitz and never pretended that he did. And I doubt you'd find a more humble person than Buddy Nix when it comes to assessing college talent. He's admitted to screwing the pooch on numerous occasions, as has every scout I've ever met as well.

I'm sorry, it IS ridiculous to keep harping on the "long ball" issue. EJ Manuel has demonstrated he can throw the long ball. He has struggled with one particular route. I've already explained why I think that is. I've also said on numerous occasions that the world is littered with QBs who can throw the ball a country mile. Or as I like to put it, there's a difference between being a passer and a quarterback. But thanks for reminding me with the Sanchez example.

It is clear that Manuel has made the conscious decision to NOT challenge certain coverages as often when he sees them. To not take the green light he has at his disposal. That is at the heart of my concern for him, his confidence and patience. But I've seen enough of his looking off safeties and indeed, setting them up with previous plays, to know he has the recognition aspect of the game in hand more often than not. For whatever reason, he didn't trust himself on Sunday. There may be many reasons for this. Not the least of which are returning to live action after an extended layoff and facing a Hall of Fame DC that eats rookies for lunch. Whatever the reasons, it was the first time I had real concerns about his performance.

But confidence is a fickle thing. Especially with QBs. If that continues to be an issue, it won't matter what other attributes he brings to the table. He has an opportunity next Sunday. I'm not interested in anything other than how he responds going forward.

With that, I've discussed this enough. If you and others insist that 6 games is enough to convince yourselves he doesn't have what it takes, so be it. I don't share that opinion.

GO BILLS!!!