The Quarterback situation

Because it's a much harder position to master - and beyond psyche you are stealing both practice reps and a first round talent that could be helping that qb succeed from him.

they need to have rule changes so backups can get some reps. if it were me the ones would go against the twos then the ones against the ones (and twos against twos). that way the backups can get better and the starters can sharpen their skills against top talent which always makes a player better regardless of sport.

I think a lot of people on his board have unrealistic expectations for a rookie QB. If the guy is not like Wilson, Newton, Kaepernick (who was a 2nd year QB), then many folks think we should draft another one. I've liked what I have seen from E.J. and hopefully he gets back and starts the last 5 games of this season. His stats for his first 5 games are comparable to the first 5 games for Roethlisberger and Flacco. He has shown that he can be a capable QB in the league and has the skills to grow into a good (and possibly great) starter. If he doesn't get hurt, the Bills' record is likely 2 - 3 wins better at this point. You don't give up on a QB who has played as well as he has after one year.

This is right and most importantly is probably the Bills way of thinking. They will go with EJM for at least another season or two. It's hard being patient as a Bills fan as we haven't had a good QB since Kelly, really. But barring any major developments the remainder of this season, they will stick with him as most NFL teams would.

AJ McCarron aka Frank Reich

sounds about right

A top notch QB makes the O-Line look good. The jury is still out on EJ ... but I say keep drafting a QB every year until we get it right. We need a QB to compete with the big boys, its that simple.

Yep, but coaches think QBs are delicate little flowers that can't take competition.

We don't. Not sure if NFL teams do, but it's more in the NFL culture. You go all in on a guy, and once he's failed you absolutely cannot go back to him. That gets expensive and time consuming. You have to develop one guy, but it sucks EJ is hurt. Anyway, what we fans think isn't going to change NFL culture. The Bills will not take a QB with a high pick in 2014. maybe the middle rounds as neither backup has distinguished himself much.

You do realize that when people say "we" they are referring to the team, don't you? Where did I mention a high pick?

Because it's a much harder position to master - and beyond psyche you are stealing both practice reps and a first round talent that could be helping that qb succeed from him.

Where did I mention a 1st round pick? The round of your starter doesn't matter, could be a 3rd, heck could be a 6th. Yet teams are still scared to put competition at that spot. Brees seemed to perform well his final year in SD. I don't think Rivers scared him or hurt his development. We know Farve had a hissy fit (even though he was at the twilight of his career), McNabb too.

Keep Thad, Move Tuel to the PS, trade EJ to pats for Spikes, tank the rest of the season ( much like indy did a few years back) and draft Johny football from Texas next draft.

that works for me, but don't think we can get under Jags with three wins. We can still win and get a good QB plus there's some good QBs (depending on declaration) in 2015 as well.

You know...for me I'm not as down on the team as some are on the board. We are in every game despite starting practice squad or rookie quarterbacks every single game this year. Some forget the absolute poundings we took under the Jauron/Gailey regimes where this team would get punched in the face and it was over by halftime. You don't see the 2013 Bills getting down 21-0 nearly instantly and having to mount heroic comebacks game after game after game with a roster that had perhaps one comeback all year in them.

At the very least the Bills are evalutating the 2014 backup quarterback. At the very best, perhaps EJ and the combination of Lewis/Tuel/Flynn can take advantage of the easier schedule and pick off a few wins. I don't think anybody has seen nearly enough of Manuel at this point to make an educated observation on his future.

My three takes:

If EJ shows improvement in the last five games and that he can stay healthy during that time we won't have to waste another first round pick on a QB. If he doesn't improve or can't stay healthy we have to draft another QB.

Tuel played better than I thought he would. But I had real low expectations. I can't believe anyone is surprised or upset by the interceptions.

A good coaching staff wins this game. Marrone does not know how to win in the NFL, and Hackett is joke.

We should still draft a QB, like my Boy Pachall, who is as big and talent as EJ but better accuracy. With his rehab and broken arm we could get him easy mid rounds. He would be the top QB (except maybe Manziel) if not for his time off. EJ could be good or not but Dallas had Aikmen and Walsh no reason why we shouldn't do the same.

Yeah, man. Alcoholic and drug-addicted QBs who are so far gone that they go to rehab have been so successful in the NFL. Let's not forget your stellar scouting report on John Skelton. Seriously, please stop posting QB-related "advice."