A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order....

Additional thoughts to add to the mix:

The Bills D continues to gel and improve.

With all the injuries at QB AND WR, it's as hard to assemble an effective pass game as it is to evaluate the players involved.

Cordy Glenn dominated Tamba Hali. Hali came into the game with 9 sacks in 8 games and didn't get near Tuel. It was a complete and utter domination by Cordy.

One thing Tuel did well: He felt the rush and his internal clock were good.

The Bills didn't allow a sack to the best pass rushing team in the NFL.

True that. I do believe this was the first game where all of our defensive starters were healthy. Carrington is out for the year, but Branch has been a more than adequate replacement. I like these guys a lot.

Cordy Glenn has been great, and I think our line is gelling quite well too. Legursky has been an obvious improvement over Brown and I've seen very few issues with Wood, Urbik and Pears. One holding call on Pears, but otherwise he shut down Houston.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is essentially the same roster at most of the key positions as last year. Last years team had no fight. The staff last year even said how the other teams pushed them around and dictated what they did...thats right out of the mouth of the HC multiple times last year. This team was pathetic last few years. This team this year, with 3rd string and 4th strong QB's for half the games is averaging 22 PPG. Last years team 21.9 PPG and they had several games where we were blown out and got a couple garbage time TD's late to pad our scores.

This team has not been blown out, this offense has been scoring despite SJ, CJ, Freddie being hobbled and 3rd string and 4th string QB's playing. So to say its ONLY the D is blind ranting with no factual points. This team is BETER AS A WHOLE, not just the defense and thats with a TON of injuries to critical players.

To say its only Pettine and the D is pointless hate for the HC. Marrone and the whole staff have done a wonderful job changing the culture. We would have been blown out in many of these games under these conditions with Gailey here. In fact, I have no doubt we would not even have 3 wins, and we would not have been in position to win all these games like we have.

Key position changes this year on defense: Kiko, Manny Lawson, AW at safety, Robey, Hughes, Branch.

Key position changes on offense: EJ, Woods, Goodwin, Brown/Legursky

With the exception of one (LG), I would say these changes have all vastly improved our team.

This is not to denigrate your point that the new staff has instilled a better culture, but they did also improve the roster.

Edited by Big C

Key position changes this year on defense: Kiko, Manny Lawson, AW at safety, Robey, Hughes, Branch.

With the exception of one (LG), I would say these changes have all vastly improved our team.

Lets see...many of those were DRAFTED by this new regime...so you are again proving my point.

Second, the LG change is a DOWNGRADE from last year...again proving my point.

Third, Goodwin missed most the season and EJ half of it...again proving my point.

So, again, the guys suiting up week to week have mostly been the same with the exception of a few positions where we are actually worse than last year due to FA's leaving or injuries. Not to mention all the injuries to key defensive returning players like Gilmore, Brooks, McKelvin, Carrington, Lawson, Byrd...

Again, you mostly just proved my point. The suited up guys each week are not a whole lot different than last year, yet this team is playing WAY better, has MORE consistency, and fights each and every week where the other team looked like it did not even care and got regularly blown out in embarrassing fashion over the last 3 years.

Edited by Alphadawg7

This is not to denigrate your point that the new staff has instilled a better culture, but they did also improve the roster.

And really the truth lies somewhere in between.

Look at the improved play of Aaron Williams and D'Norris Searcy.

The difference between Wannstedt and Pettine is hard to even describe.

Chandler's first drop, on 3rd down in 1Q, would have put us in FG range. In a tight game, a play like that, even early in the game, is huge.

I recognize the importance of that play, but I'm not putting the defeat in Chandler's hands, nor am I giving up on him for a new TE. That man has been money in the bank in numerous situations. I still don't know how he ends up uncovered in the front of the end zone every other game--don't teams bother to watch film of the Bills?

And really the truth lies somewhere in between.

Look at the improved play of Aaron Williams and D'Norris Searcy.

The difference between Wannstedt and Pettine is hard to even describe.

yeah----people have a short memory.....only last year buffalo getting blown out by average teams in record setting fashion. now we are in every game...we see the talent that is on this team....and yet this only makes the mind boggling mistakes more frustrating. Only Buffalo has 1st and goal from the one with a 10-3 lead and a chance to put it away..........only Buffalo

Additional thoughts to add to the mix:

The Bills D continues to gel and improve.

With all the injuries at QB AND WR, it's as hard to assemble an effective pass game as it is to evaluate the players involved.

Cordy Glenn dominated Tamba Hali. Hali came into the game with 9 sacks in 8 games and didn't get near Tuel. It was a complete and utter domination by Cordy.

One thing Tuel did well: He felt the rush and his internal clock were good.

The Bills didn't allow a sack to the best pass rushing team in the NFL.

Agreed.

I have to look up the stats, but my sense was our offensive TOP and 3rd down conversions were good too. I note this because I think it helped our D stay fresh.

I recognize the importance of that play, but I'm not putting the defeat in Chandler's hands, nor am I giving up on him for a new TE. That man has been money in the bank in numerous situations. I still don't know how he ends up uncovered in the front of the end zone every other game--don't teams bother to watch film of the Bills?

When I watch Chandler, I don't see him doing anything particularly well for a TE - his hands are inconsistent. he doesn't stretch the field well, and he's a below-average blocker. I think that the Bills need an upgrade at TE.

Lets see...many of those were DRAFTED by this new regime...so you are again proving my point.

Second, the LG change is a DOWNGRADE from last year...again proving my point.

Third, Goodwin missed most the season and EJ half of it...again proving my point.

So, again, the guys suiting up week to week have mostly been the same with the exception of a few positions where we are actually worse than last year due to FA's leaving or injuries. Not to mention all the injuries to key defensive returning players like Gilmore, Brooks, McKelvin, Carrington, Lawson, Byrd...

Again, you mostly just proved my point. The suited up guys each week are not a whole lot different than last year, yet this team is playing WAY better, has MORE consistency, and fights each and every week where the other team looked like it did not even care and got regularly blown out in embarrassing fashion over the last 3 years.

I did say I was not trying to denigrate your point. It's not "essentially the same roster" when about half of your starting lineup is different. I'm agreeing with every you said about the regime turning things around.

Agreed.

I have to look up the stats, but my sense was our offensive TOP and 3rd down conversions were good too. I note this because I think it helped our D stay fresh.

Anyone want to talk about the dropped passes today!?

A different outcome on a small handful of offensive plays would dramatically change the opinions being aired on this board.

But despair and hysteria typically rule the roost around here.

To say its only Pettine and the D is pointless hate for the HC.

I hope that you don't mean me with the comment about "pointless hate." I am 100% willing to admit mistaken opinions. I did so in the OP wrt A. Williams.

I credit Marrone with bringing in Pettine (if this was his call). I also like that the team is always fighting back. If you think that Marrone is doing a good job of clock management (ESPECIALLY around the deuce at halftime) and play calling, please illustrate your point.

And btw thanks for the dialogue.

I did say I was not trying to denigrate your point. It's not "essentially the same roster" when about half of your starting lineup is different. I'm agreeing with every you said about the regime turning things around.

My bad, misunderstood your reply. And I capitalize words to emphasize the significance of said word, not to yell.

yeah----people have a short memory.....only last year buffalo getting blown out by average teams in record setting fashion. now we are in every game...we see the talent that is on this team....and yet this only makes the mind boggling mistakes more frustrating. Only Buffalo has 1st and goal from the one with a 10-3 lead and a chance to put it away..........only Buffalo

Great post, thank you!!!

Yup, we run on 1st and 2nd down, it doesn't work, so we pass on 3rd down and the QB throws one of the worst, most ill-advised passes I've ever seen a QB make, meanwhile, our #1 WR was wide open in the end zone and it's the coach's fault. We put together a gameplan that outgained an 8-0 team 470-210 with Jeff Tuel at QB and the coach is clueless. And once again, you have some bizarre fascination with calling out the coach for time management before the half. At least in the Miami game I knew what you were talking about (although I disagreed with you). In this game, I literally have no idea what you are talking about. And I love the Grateful Dead.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

no, the loss wasn't chandler's fault but how many wins have been? he's is not and will never approach the impact player status the current top tier or even 2nd tier TE's in the league are in. we have RB's in those categories and up and coming wide receivers that may well be but chandler just isn't. Edited by birdog1960

I hope that you don't mean me with the comment about "pointless hate." I am 100% willing to admit mistaken opinions. I did so in the OP wrt A. Williams.

I credit Marrone with bringing in Pettine (if this was his call). I also like that the team is always fighting back. If you think that Marrone is doing a good job of clock management (ESPECIALLY around the deuce at halftime) and play calling, please illustrate your point.

And btw thanks for the dialogue.

My point is that you blame a lot of things, like the play calls on Marrone...when in fact Marrone does not make those calls, Hacket does, always have here and in college. I said your disdain for Marrone was misguided. I am saying that you crediting everyone else, especially just the D, can only come from blind hate from the coach if you think Marrone has not had a hand in turning this team and the culture around.

The offense, despite playing with scrub QB's half the season and seeing its most talented weapons in SJ, CJ and Freddie hobbled and playing through injuries (not to mention Goodwin) is averaging more than last years team by a hair still. So its not all the D. And last years team PPG were a fraud as we had several blow out games where we got garbage time scores to get over 20 points. This team has been way better on both sides of the ball.

So, I feel your disgust with Marrone is misguided and that the lack of credit you give him for how this team has fought every week is not really fair to him. He, and the whole staff and FO have had quite an impact on quickly changing the attitude and culture of this team. This team is on the right track, and I think we have the right staff to do so. No one ever said it would be easy or that there would not be growing pains, but they are proving the times are changing and when we get healthy and continue to see our young talent develop, this team is going to be a tough ass team to beat.

Edited by Alphadawg7

no, the loss wasn't chandler's fault but how many wins have been? he's is not and will never approach the impact player status the current top tier or even 2nd tier TE's in the league are in. we have RB's in those categories and up and coming wide receivers that may well be but chandler just isn't.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/163321-a-few-thoughts-about-the-game-in-no-particular-order/#entry2965076

KD answers your question.

Edited by Bill from NYC