Fox Sports Reports: Bledsoe Must....

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3309726

The way the Bills finished the season muddled their quarterback situation. The team won eight of its last 10 games, leading many fans in Buffalo to believe the team should be competitive next season. But QB Drew Bledsoe's performance was average at best. Will the team cut Bledsoe and entrust the starting position to 2003 first-round pick J.P. Losman, who threw only five passes as a rookie? Chances are good Bledsoe either will take a pay cut or be cut. As it stands, his contract calls for him to take up $6.5 million of the team's cap space next season. The Bills can cut him before Bledsoe is owed a $1.05 million roster bonus at the beginning of March and reduce that cap hit to $4.33 million

Don't discount a bidding war for Bledsoe. There are a lot of teams that need QBs. Arizona, Dallas, Miami, Ravens, Redskins, Tampa Bay, Chicago, Detriot, possibly Green Bay...

I think we could get a 4th rounder for him, maybe 3rd.

209122[/snapback]

The Cowboys have no interest in Bledsoe (both Parcells and J Jones are now on the record as saying that they are standing pat on their QB's, unless Vinny retires, which he is not inclined toward), and all of those other teams would put Bledsoe in a worse situation (and thus the teams) than he is in Buffalo. One by one:

Arizona- Denny Green likes mobile QB's. Drew is not that. They are a young team that would benefit very little from adding Bledsoe. John Kitna would be a much better option for Arizona, at this point, than Bledsoe.

Miami- Have already invested in AJ Feeley, a young guy who needs experience. With a new coach, and a team starting from scratch, I seriously doubt that they would be interested in Bledsoe.

Redskins- They already made the mistake of signing Brunell to a big contract, they are likely to shy away from doing that again, for a vetran that has a lot of question marks surrounding him. Unless Gregg Williams is really high on Bledsoe, and puts a bug in Gibbs ear, I don't see this happening at all. Gibbs already announced that Ramsey is their guy next year. Their offensive line is pretty crappy as well. Having Bledsoe behind center would not help them improve any.

Tampa Bay- Besides the fact that the Buccs seem high on Chris Simms, one of the things that Gruden did not like about Brad Johnson as a starter, was his lack of mobility. Drew would not be any sort of improvement in that area. I think they will end up re-signing Grease. He played fairly well for them....

Chicago- They already have Jeff George, why would they want Bledsoe? Besides, their number 1 guy next year is going to be Grossman. Though he didn't play much before being injured, he looks to have some NFL style moxy, and the Bears are pretty committed to building around him.

Detroit- I think that Garcia will leave the Browns (either by choice, or be cut) and end up back with Mariucci in Michigan. They won a fair number of games together in SF, they got along well, and Detroit appears to have many of the peices in place to take a step upward, win wise. The one key piece they are missing is a QB. Harrington may not be the worst, but his skills are not up to par with the stable of receivers they have in Detroit. Garcia would excell there, unless he is just too banged up to play anymore.

Green Bay- Assuming Favre comes back (and you know he will) the Packers will try to get a younger back-up, to start learning the offense. I think they may actually draft a QB in the first couple of rounds this year. Remember, they and the Rams were both very hot on Losman in last years' draft.

If your assertion is correct that there is a bidding war for Bledsoe (remember that only the Bengals and Bills were intereted in him when he was 3 years younger), I would be surprised. If Bledsoe gets cut, I have no doubt that some teams would be interested, but no team would give him close to the money he has been getting from the Bills, and no team would promise him a starting job. The only team, that is sort of a wild-card team for Bledsoe, would be Clevland, IMO.

If Romeo Crennel gets the HC job (which is the rumour out there) he might feel more comfortable in his first HC job, with a QB he is familiar with. The again, he has game planned against Drew the last three years with much success, so he may know him too well, if you catch my drift....

IMO, Drew either retires, or comes to the conclusion that, if he wants to keep playing in the NFL, Buffalo is his best option, pay cut and all. We could do far worse....

Montana.....Thank you......I for one pray that JP is the second coming, but this get rid of Drew at all cost is well...........f'd-up!! You would think this team was 4-12 this past season.

Montana is quite nice.....Played Rugby in Missoula at the Maggot Fest...I wonder if that still exsists?

It is a good thing TSW posters don't make the personnel decisions at OBD. Moulds, Bledsoe, Jennings and Henry would all have been traded or released already. Then all we would have to do is draft their replacements or go pay premium $s for their replacements.

Does anyone really think that we can replace 27% of our starting offense with draft picks and improve over last years record? Don't tell me that we can go out and get their replacements with free agency.

JP MIGHT be able to start, but will he remain healthy the whole year? Do we want him to get his tutoring from Shane? Moulds already said he is willing to restructure, can we find a decent #1 who could replace him for the same cost? Henry doesn't cost us anything next year, do we want a 3rd rounder to find someone to back up McGahee? Jennings might be able to get a fat contract, where will we find that replacement without spending big money ourselves?

I know we are not going to be able to keep everyone, but we should try to keep Bledsoe as a backup at least. Getting rid of Moulds makes no sense. Trading Henry is a real possibility, especially if he would be a locker room cancer next year, but we shouldn't settle for less than a 2nd. Jennings should be our number 1 priority to resign before he officially becomes a FA and is able to test the market.

What about Oakland? Davis is still living in the 60's with the long ball. Drew will give him that.

I wonder if Big Al goes to many Dead concerts out there. He'd seem to be a perfect fit!

The Cowboys have no interest in Bledsoe (both Parcells and J Jones are now on the record as saying that they are standing pat on their QB's, unless Vinny retires, which he is not inclined toward), and all of those other teams would put Bledsoe in a worse situation (and thus the teams) than he is in Buffalo. One by one:

Arizona- Denny Green likes mobile QB's.  Drew is not that.  They are a young team that would benefit very little from adding Bledsoe.  John Kitna would be a much better option for Arizona, at this point, than Bledsoe. 

Miami- Have already invested in AJ Feeley, a young guy who needs experience.  With a new coach, and a team starting from scratch, I seriously doubt that they would be interested in Bledsoe. 

Redskins- They already made the mistake of signing Brunell to a big contract, they are likely to shy away from doing that again, for a vetran that has a lot of question marks surrounding him.  Unless Gregg Williams is really high on Bledsoe, and puts a bug in Gibbs ear, I don't see this happening at all.  Gibbs already announced that Ramsey is their guy next year.  Their offensive line is pretty crappy as well.  Having Bledsoe behind center would not help them improve any.

Tampa Bay- Besides the fact that the Buccs seem high on Chris Simms, one of the things that Gruden did not like about Brad Johnson as a starter, was his lack of mobility.  Drew would not be any sort of improvement in that area.  I think they will end up re-signing Grease.  He played fairly well for them....

Chicago- They already have Jeff George, why would they want Bledsoe?  Besides, their number 1 guy next year is going to be Grossman.  Though he didn't play much before being injured, he looks to have some NFL style moxy, and the Bears are pretty committed to building around him.

Detroit- I think that Garcia will leave the Browns (either by choice, or be cut) and end up back with Mariucci in Michigan.  They won a fair number of games together in SF, they got along well, and Detroit appears to have many of the peices in place to take a step upward, win wise.  The one key piece they are missing is a QB.  Harrington may not be the worst, but his skills are not up to par with the stable of receivers they have in Detroit.  Garcia would excell there, unless he is just too banged up to play anymore.

Green Bay- Assuming Favre comes back (and you know he will) the Packers will try to get a younger back-up, to start learning the offense.  I think they may actually draft a QB in the first couple of rounds this year.  Remember, they and the Rams were both very hot on Losman in last years' draft.

If your assertion is correct that there is a bidding war for Bledsoe (remember that only the Bengals and Bills were intereted in him when he was 3 years younger), I would be surprised.  If Bledsoe gets cut, I have no doubt that some teams would be interested, but no team would give him close to the money he has been getting from the Bills, and no team would promise him a starting job.  The only team, that is sort of a wild-card team for Bledsoe, would be Clevland, IMO. 

If Romeo Crennel gets the HC job (which is the rumour out there) he might feel more comfortable in his first HC job, with a QB he is familiar with.  The again, he has game planned against Drew the last three years with much success, so he may know him too well, if you catch my drift....

IMO, Drew either retires, or comes to the conclusion that, if he wants to keep playing in the NFL, Buffalo is his best option, pay cut and all.  We could do far worse....

209172[/snapback]

I think the Fox story is very plausible. Bledsoe no longer gets an elite salary, but he is due an above average salary next year, and his performance has never been above average for more than an occasional game. He should be paid no more than a very average QB. We've got six weeks to find out the future. Whatever happens will happen before the March 1 roster bonus due date.

Bledsoe has a lot of pride.  He knows the fan base wants him out and some of his teammates are laying the blame on him also.  He will take any reasonable trade to get out of Buffalo.

209406[/snapback]

You might be closer to reports than I am, but the only teammate I heard not supporting Drew is Moulds. I saw quotes from Tucker Teage a Campell after the Steelers game giving him thier full support. Evans had possitive things to say before the Steelers game.

I think Moulds is a little sensative about not being the #1 guy any more and is looking to blame his woes on Drew. Who was the only guy on the Bills unhappy during the win streak?

I think Drew stays and fights just like he did this year.

If he were smart, he'd get as far away from Belicheck as possible.

What about Oakland?  Davis is still living in the 60's with the long ball.  Drew will give him that.

I wonder if Big Al goes to many Dead concerts out there.  He'd seem to be a perfect fit!

209352[/snapback]

Oakland would be a perfect fit, except that the Raiders already signed Kerry Collins last season. The two are very similar, Collins is two years younger. The Raiders offense started to click under Collins the last 6 weeks or so. Collins is very capable of putting up 300 or 350 almost every week. He may not win many games doing so, but I don't see the logic of having both Collins and Bledsoe. They are almost the same player, and neither has any upside at this point. There is that nasty salary cap to keep an eye on. I think Norv Turner realizes that the Raiders need to get younger (goodbye Tim Brown & Jerry Rice), and not older.