Is Tom Brady in decline?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you're right, but I think you're wrong.

NE is a very flawed team. Of course, the whole NFL seems flawed. But I really think their defensive injuries will catch up with them eventually. They got gashed on the ground and that seems to be a blueprint to beat them. IF only Denver had a QB like EJ whose arm can cut through the wind, it would have been an easy win. :flirt:

Nope, not wrong.

i have always found that naked pronouncements like this add so much to this forum, kind of like when someone "guaranties" that x will happen (i.e., Trent Richardson will become a star for the Colts or the 49ers will cut Alex Smith). Edited by mannc

NE is a very flawed team. Of course, the whole NFL seems flawed. But I really think their defensive injuries will catch up with them eventually. They got gashed on the ground and that seems to be a blueprint to beat them. IF only Denver had a QB like EJ whose arm can cut through the wind, it would have been an easy win. :flirt:

I know you are kidding about Manning and his arm. But i also think there is something to when it gets colder out his performance begins to slip to him being just a good qb, not a great one. last night he was a below average QB.

Now i will confess i stoped watching last night at halftime but the numbers suggest Manning strugges continued into the second half.

Brady is still Brady. It almost is like the Pats are like the Colts use to be with Manning. There is not much to speak of, a couple players here and there on D, but the team is not very good. Due to Brady being who he is they are always able to win a game.

IF the Pats get homefield i have a feeling they are back in the SB. AND given the fact that the SB is outside in the cold the Pats could very well win one more. Give me a better cold weather and bad conditions passer then Brady?

I can't argue with their lack of run defense, but every team in the league this year has their flaws, and an elite quarterback can certainly mask said flaws. It's such a wide open league right now. It's going to come down to who gets hot down the stretch. And also who isn't bothered by a cold-weather Super Bowl. Personally, I see a Seahawks-Patriots Super Bowl matchup, and that will be a damn good one.

I know you are kidding about Manning and his arm. But i also think there is something to when it gets colder out his performance begins to slip to him being just a good qb, not a great one. last night he was a below average QB.

Now i will confess i stoped watching last night at halftime but the numbers suggest Manning strugges continued into the second half.

Brady is still Brady. It almost is like the Pats are like the Colts use to be with Manning. There is not much to speak of, a couple players here and there on D, but the team is not very good. Due to Brady being who he is they are always able to win a game.

IF the Pats get homefield i have a feeling they are back in the SB. AND given the fact that the SB is outside in the cold the Pats could very well win one more. Give me a better cold weather and bad conditions passer then Brady?

It's not just the cold, snowy and windy weather that negatively affects Peyton status as a top ever QB ..... it's also his penchant for disappearing and choking in the big game when the pressure is on that is seriously damning to him.

Great players perform at their best when the chips are down. This is when Peyton seems to prefer to check out!

Let's assume he is in decline. To date, he has won 91% (21/23) of games vs. the Bills as starting QB, with a constantly changing cast of offensive characters. Let's say with the decline, that can be reduced to 75%; if he starts 4 more games, the Bills can win 1 and if he starts 8 more, they can win 2. This is something to look forward to.

Watching the game last night, it was clear that BOTH Manning and Brady have lost quite a bit of arm strength.

And despite the Patriots won-loss record, I think the team around Brady is VERY average. In fact, if I was given the opportunity to trade New England's players for Buffalo's (minus Brady) - I would take the Bills in a heartbeat.

With that said, it would only take a few breaks at the right time for New England to make a serious Super Bowl run. Look at Baltimore last year. They weren't even close to the best team during the regular season. They barely made the playoffs. But they caught on fire during the postseason and ended up winning the whole thing.

Along with Denver, the best teams in the AFC include Cincinnati, Indianapolis and Kansas City. No matter how much they have dropped off, would it be surprising for New England to beat ANY of those teams and go to another Super Bowl?

Watching the game last night, it was clear that BOTH Manning and Brady have lost quite a bit of arm strength.

And despite the Patriots won-loss record, I think the team around Brady is VERY average. In fact, if I was given the opportunity to trade New England's players for Buffalo's (minus Brady) - I would take the Bills in a heartbeat.

With that said, it would only take a few breaks at the right time for New England to make a serious Super Bowl run. Look at Baltimore last year. They weren't even close to the best team during the regular season. They barely made the playoffs. But they caught on fire during the postseason and ended up winning the whole thing.

Along with Denver, the best teams in the AFC include Cincinnati, Indianapolis and Kansas City. No matter how much they have dropped off, would it be surprising for New England to beat ANY of those teams and go to another Super Bowl?

Actually, Manning's velocity has increased since his surgury. Also, it's not very productive to evaluate peak arm strength comparisons based on a single game played in 10 degree weather with 30 MPH winds. Please note that while I'm not saying you're wrong about their decline (Father Time gets to all of us, and they are in their late 30's) last night's game is not the best place to start such an evaluation.

Regardless, I'd love to see EJ Manuel play 4-5 seasons as well as Brady and Manning have in their "declines".

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

Aside from maybe Aaron Rodgers, the weather conditions in Foxboro last night would make any quarterback's arm strength seem "lost".

One of the main reasons the Bills drafted EJ is because they think his arm can cut the wind. He looked good against the Jets in bad wind conditions. Now, we jsut need to play some meaningful late season games.

Really? The Broncos had over 200 yards rushing and still lost.

EJ's TD to Graham last week went straight up in the air, taken by the wind. In fact, the only way Graham could catch it was by stopping his pattern and waiting for the pass to re-enter the atmosphere. The commentators described it as "fielding a punt".

Actually, Manning's velocity has increased since his surgury. Also, it's not very productive to evaluate peak arm strength comparisons based on a single game played in 10 degree weather with 30 MPH winds. Please note that while I'm not saying you're wrong about their decline (Father Time gets to all of us, and they are in their late 30's) last night's game is not the best place to start such an evaluation.

Regardless, I'd love to see EJ Manuel play 4-5 seasons as well as Brady and Manning have in their "declines".

I've watched Manning/Brady several times this year. Last night was not the first time I noticed the drop off.

"Velocity" and "Zip" have just as much to do with a QBs mechanics as physical arm strength. When standing in a clean pocket, both guys still have the footwork and body control to deliver a nice ball. But when they are moving, don't have time to set their feet, or are asked to heave a ball downfield -- that's when you notice the difference (compared to 5-10 years ago).

It doesn't make much difference, because even in decline Manning and Brady are better than most of the QBs in the NFL.

I hope you're right, but I think you're wrong.

id say theres a pretty good shot they win the AFC this year, and from there a superbowl in the elements, and close to home could favor them over a team like the saints.

they wouldnt be my first pick, but id say its definitely possible.

I can't argue with their lack of run defense, but every team in the league this year has their flaws, and an elite quarterback can certainly mask said flaws. It's such a wide open league right now. It's going to come down to who gets hot down the stretch. And also who isn't bothered by a cold-weather Super Bowl. Personally, I see a Seahawks-Patriots Super Bowl matchup, and that will be a damn good one.

I agree with this, although I don't see how the Patriots can beat the Seahawks this year. I think they are the type of team that can exploit all of the Pats' weaknesses. Pats' best hope is for someone in the NFC to knock off the Seahawks first.

One of the main reasons the Bills drafted EJ is because they think his arm can cut the wind. He looked good against the Jets in bad wind conditions. Now, we jsut need to play some meaningful late season games.

I agree. He had many very good throws in tough conditions vs the Jets. That was certainly promising.

I agree with this, although I don't see how the Patriots can beat the Seahawks this year. I think they are the type of team that can exploit all of the Pats' weaknesses. Pats' best hope is for someone in the NFC to knock off the Seahawks first.

I think the Seahawks are the most complete team in the league, but I learned a long time ago to never discount Brady/Bellicheat. Especially with two weeks to prepare and unknown weather conditions.

Seattle may well be the best team in the NFL but, if anyone is going to beat them, it's very likely one that has a premiere QB who has the ability to put up a bunch of points. A team like NO, or the Broncos, or GB, or the Pats.