Is Tom Brady in decline?

Kraft and Belicheat should be embarassed at the surrounding cast they've given brady.

I hate the guy and i feel sorry for him. Rookie WR Kenbrel thompkins will be out of football within two years he is SO awful.

Too bad donald jones wasnt healthy. That catch n run offense they run was tailor made for his style of play.

Donald Jones could've had a pretty good year with Brady. Seeing as how inconsistent everyone else is, having a guy who can actually catch and run routes would've been a god-send. Probably would see 27 targets a game.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THere is not one QB category that he is in that he is listed in the top 3 so why wuld you say he is playing like a top 3 QB?

Judging solely by this year, I can name at least 6 QBs who definitively are playing better than Brady: Peyton Manning, Rodgers, Brees, Stafford, Romo and Rivers. You could also make the case that Dalton, Ryan, Luck and Newton are playing better than Brady this year. So, I think Tommy Boy is somewhere in the top 1/3rd of NFL QBs right now.

Judging solely by this year, I can name at least 6 QBs who definitively are playing better than Brady: Peyton Manning, Rodgers, Brees, Stafford, Romo and Rivers. You could also make the case that Dalton, Ryan, Luck and Newton are playing better than Brady this year. So, I think Tommy Boy is somewhere in the top 1/3rd of NFL QBs right now.

I would also argue that Kapernick & Wilson are playing better then Brady also.

Honestly, I have never thought Brady was as good as everyone thinks he is. Good, yes, but to consider him in a class with Manning and Brees? Hilarious.

Brady was only above average when they won*** those superbowls, riding a great D and a great FG kicker to win each one. Then he has had the best OL in football his entire career. Then when he really took off he always had stud targets to throw to - like Randy Moss, Welker, Gronk, etc. Even a bum like me could throw drag routes to Welker and jump balls to Moss and Gronk all day.

Seeing as how successful Matt Cassel was, and now seeing how 'great' Brady is without an incredible team around him, I think its fairly safe to safe that Brady is somewhat of a system QB. He had a few years on the pine and developed into a pretty darn good QB, who was made a HOFer because of the system he was in.

He would have been out of the league ten years ago if he was drafted by the Bills or Browns. He never would have won a single SB if not for the stud team around him. Meanwhile, Manning and Brees are their entire team. I hope other people can see this huge difference.

Honestly, I have never thought Brady was as good as everyone thinks he is. Good, yes, but to consider him in a class with Manning and Brees? Hilarious.

Brady was only above average when they won*** those superbowls, riding a great D and a great FG kicker to win each one. Then he has had the best OL in football his entire career. Then when he really took off he always had stud targets to throw to - like Randy Moss, Welker, Gronk, etc. Even a bum like me could throw drag routes to Welker and jump balls to Moss and Gronk all day.

Seeing as how successful Matt Cassel was, and now seeing how 'great' Brady is without an incredible team around him, I think its fairly safe to safe that Brady is somewhat of a system QB. He had a few years on the pine and developed into a pretty darn good QB, who was made a HOFer because of the system he was in.

He would have been out of the league ten years ago if he was drafted by the Bills or Browns. He never would have won a single SB if not for the stud team around him. Meanwhile, Manning and Brees are their entire team. I hope other people can see this huge difference.

I used to think until I got season tickets and got to see some really great QBs play (especially compared to the dudes we trotted out). Brady makes incredible adjustments and he may not always have had the best arm, but he may understand the game as well as Manning and that think is far more important.

Best QB I've ever seen live was Brees, but Brady is a close second

Cassel started the year after they went 18-1. That was a really great team. No matter who they put in he was going to do well.

Even with the full understanding that Brady has a far lesser support cast around him this season, I think it quite obvious that he is indeed in decline. Though he still has some magic that enables him to help the Pats win games, it is clear that his abilities have become reduced this season.

Looking at the measurable statistics:

QBR(27th): 74.9

Worst year of his career. The closest others being in his first 3 years(2001-2003), 86.5, 85.7, 85.9. All others (apart from 2006, 87.9) were in the 90's, 100's and 110's.

YPA(30th): 5.94

Worst year of his career. Similar to QBR, the closest others being the first 3 years and 2006(6.9, 6.3, 6.9, 6.8). All others were in the 7's and 8's.

ESPN's Total QBR(16th): 48.6

Only measured since 2006 but by far the worst of his career. Previous years saw(starting in 2006, not including 2008) 62.4(4th), 87.1(1st), 66.5(10th), 77.0(1st), 73.0(3rd), 77.7(2nd)

All other stats excluding INTs are towards the bottom of the league.

Edited by Dibs

I'm with you on this. I think the rumors of his demise have been greatly exaggerated. While I hope this is the case, I won't be putting any nails in that coffin until he's clearly going down.

I agree. It hard to give Brady credit because I;m so biased. He has proved numerous times he can win with a mediocre receiving core. His O line isnt as good as it was in the past. I think Vollmer? is out for the season. Yes Brady is getting older but his team is in a slump.

Manning his whole team! Ha You can't be serious. Walked onto a team with a Franchise LT Tarek Glenn, Hall of Fame WR Harrisson and Hall of Fame Tailback Marshall Faulk. Also had the advantage of playing indoors & on carpet. For those who don't think playing indoors and on carpet is a huge advantage just look at all the qbs who had their best passing seasons in Minnesota. Cunningham & Culpepper.

All you have to do is blitz the inteior o-line against Manning and he's inneffective. I don't know why teams haven't caught on to this sooner.

no his WRs are green.

How much of this is lack of support from receivers? I hope he's in decline, but really i think he'sm just missing Welker, Gronk, Hernandez, Branch & Lloyd. Edelman has been his best receiver and I wouldn't consider him anything special.

Glad to see some one is thinking.

Brady looks good in Rainbow ( :flirt: ) Gisele sure is shaggy

Under Manning, the Colts had10 or 12 straight 10+ win seasons or something crazy. They made the playoffs every year.

He got injured and they went 1-15.

Sorry, but case closed.

No, it was because they didn't have a decent qb. Year after they go 11-5. In the long run obvioyusly Luck is way better, but Matt Cassel's stats were quite similar to Luck's as a rookie.

Also Manning has the albatross of losing to a team coached by Norv Turner in the playoffs,

Under Manning, the Colts had10 or 12 straight 10+ win seasons or something crazy. They made the playoffs every year.

He got injured and they went 1-15.

Sorry, but case closed.

Matt Cassel & Curtis Painter are not a fair comparrison.

It's uncanny that you have this figured out but it has not yet dawned on NFL defensive coordinators.

I'm telling you when I watch football there is some stuff I don't know how coaches don't see it. I'm not taking credit for this one. It seemed like that was what the Patriots always did to him in the playoffs was blitz him up the middle and he wasn't nealry as effective. I know he was terrible Head Coach, but I think Romeo Crennel is a defensive genius.