42 Years Ago - RIP Sky Dog

Chef Jim

Is any Southern Rock guitarist different than any other? I mean, it's terrible that a 24-year-old was killed. Don't get me wrong. But I can't, for the life of me, figure out what kind of originality he offered to the instrument.

Either way, R.I.P.

Is any Southern Rock guitarist different than any other? I mean, it's terrible that a 24-year-old was killed. Don't get me wrong. But I can't, for the life of me, figure out what kind of originality he offered to the instrument.

Either way, R.I.P.

His skills with the slide guitar. Listen to his slide work in Layla. It makes the song.

And how he discovered the slide is a great story.

BTW he's more of a blues guitar player vs a southern rock guitarist.

Edited by Chef Jim

Either way, R.I.P.

Berry Oakley was born in Chicago and grew up about 2 miles from where I live today. This thread has the making of a "How I Hate Motorcyles" debate.

Funny Duane was wearing a helmet... It flew off. Berry no. Duane would have died anyway, Berry would have lived wearing a helmet. He got up and walked away and refused going to the hospital right @ first. w/Duane' accident first, I wonder if that accident determined Berry's choice not to wear one? You know that silly argument that a helmet won't save you? We'd probably have one of the finest bassists today if he did wear one.

I suggest you all listen, closely, to Fillmore East or some of the more recently released live recordings from SUNY Stoneybrook and reevaluate your contention that Duanne Allman was "just another non-original southern rock guitar player"...

Either way, R.I.P.

Duane Allman was, which is why he's so highly thought of.

I liked the Allman Brothers when they were called Lynyrd Skynyrd a little bit. But when they were called Molly Hatchet, I wasn't really into them.

Skynyrd and Molly Hatchet are kind of similar but the ABB is very different. Very influenced by the old blues musicians and jazz. Listen to In Memory of Elizabeth Reed. Lots of Miles Davis influence there.

in hindsight you are 100% correct, sadly for me, they were all lumped in together when i was younger during their hey days...looking back on the 'genre' of 'southern rock', i now see how far superior ABB were and how they were more heavily blues than the others. Took me a while, but I finally got there.

Skynyrd and Molly Hatchet are kind of similar but the ABB is very different. Very influenced by the old blues musicians and jazz. Listen to In Memory of Elizabeth Reed. Lots of Miles Davis influence there.

in hindsight you are 100% correct, sadly for me, they were all lumped in together when i was younger during their hey days...looking back on the 'genre' of 'southern rock', i now see how far superior ABB were and how they were more heavily blues than the others. Took me a while, but I finally got there.

I know this big time. The band I was in during the mid-70's was essentially an ABB cover band but we also did some Skynyrd. Skynyrd was easy to play. The ABB was not but a hell of a lot more fun to jam on. We'd go off on Whipping post until either someone had to pee or the drugs wore off. :lol:

Stormy Monay Blues was a bit different from FREEBIRD!!!

Boy band ... Good grief....

To each their own...

Just a joke to bust Chef's chops. I grew up a teenager in the Catskill Mountains in the '70s with two older brothers and an older sister. Allman Brothers Band was every bit the background music of that time for me as Skynard, et. al.

Next time I'll try to do a better job of busting someone's chops...like wondering why anyone would want to put the Replacements in the R&R HOF.

Just a joke to bust Chef's chops. I grew up a teenager in the Catskill Mountains in the '70s with two older brothers and an older sister. Allman Brothers Band was every bit the background music of that time for me as Skynard, et. al.

Next time I'll try to do a better job of busting someone's chops...like wondering why anyone would want to put the Replacements in the R&R HOF.

Yeah, I was joking, too. ABB are truly in a class of their own.

I assume you're being sarcastic. This is a "boy band?" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1jpQu6qR1E

I don't even need to click on this. I assume it's Blue Sky from .....1995?....from some German (I think) TV show with Dickey Betts and Warren Haynes kicking ass on the solos? One of the best versions of Blue Sky I've ever heard.

What do I win?