Gilmore: 0 yards given up per PFF

TPS

Hughes took responsibility for the receiver being wide open. He said it was his man by the design of the defense, but he got caught peeking in the backfield at the QB and lost coverage on Stills. Seems to me it was a poor coverage design from the beginning since Hughes should NEVER be matched up on a WR.

Gilmore should have peeled off if was watching in front of him.

Its alot to ask of him so early in his career and being a very very disciplined player. .

but he should have seen that he was the last guy that might protect the end zone in the mismatch.

I would never see that in real time. But i think he should.

Love the kid though.

Hughes is "okay" matched up in zone coverage against WR or fast TE like Graham if he has someone over him or to pass off. Which someone should have been on that play maybe.

On the coaches , that one.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can somebody please start a separate thread on the Hughes play? It seems to have hijacked this thread somewhat.

To be honest, I am far more interested in hearing peoples thoughts on Gilmore and the associated stat than discussion about one individual play(call).

Hughes thread: http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/163185-the-hughes-thread-aka-stills-69-yd-td/

Gilmore is a very good corner. Good corners often have two things going for them that show up on the stat sheet. 1. OCs plan on attacking some other area of the field, and so they aren't often targeted. 2. Good coverage will prevent the QB from throwing that way, even if the WR is the first or second read.

Because of those reasons, top corners are often only thrown at when the QB/offense is desperate, which is also when the offense becomes predictable and those CBs can completely play the pass and not have to worry about the run.

Corners like Gilmore who are able to create a reputation seemingly only get better at shutting down their field because QBs/OCs become more and more weary to test them.

It'd be interesting to see a breakdown of PBUs vs targets, but I imagine that those numbers would be skewed as well for the reasons above. With McKelvin stepping up, is it any wonder we've seen Robey getting picked on?

There's absolutely no reason to give Hughes any coverage responsibility on a WR in the base 4-3-3 defense on 2nd down and 10 no matter how aggressive Pettine's scheme may be. It's a recipe for disaster and the choice of either sitting back passively or all out aggression/confusion is a false choice.

Sproles was accounted for well. We wasted two DBs on that play. Might as well rushed Hughes and slid A Willams into the next box or better yet pressed Stills.

Hughes did hustle !

to the OP.

Gilmore is still grabbing jerseys blatantly. heck even I can see it .

He is smart and super talented.

He should never play zone

I really question all this stuff. All I hear is how Gilmore is a shutdown corner, McKelvin is paying great, Robey is an underrated steal, Bryd is one of the best FS safeties in the game and Williams has found a home at strong safety. Yet the Bills secondary just gave up 332 yards passing and 5 TD in the last game and is ranked 24th in pass defense in the NFL. And it's not because of the pass rush because the Bills got a lot of pressure on Brees and have been getting a lot of pressure on opposing QBs in general. So what gives? Just a massive run of bad luck? I think some of these players are being vastly overrated and Gilmore is at the top of the list.

Good question. Show me the baby, Pettine!

Edited by HurlyBurly51

I really question all this stuff. All I hear is how Gilmore is a shutdown corner, McKelvin is paying great, Robey is an underrated steal, Bryd is one of the best FS safeties in the game and Williams has found a home at strong safety. Yet the Bills secondary just gave up 332 yards passing and 5 TD in the last game and is ranked 24th in pass defense in the NFL. And it's not because of the pass rush because the Bills got a lot of pressure on Brees and have been getting a lot of pressure on opposing QBs in general. So what gives? Just a massive run of bad luck? I think some of these players are being vastly overrated and Gilmore is at the top of the list.

80 yards against jerry hughes on one play lol. 332 yards were not giving up by all the corners, not even close. plus drew brees is arguably the best QB in the game now

Bree's averaged over 360 net passing yards in his first 3 home games, and he had 309 against Buf.

Robbey being an underrated steal, as you stated, doesn't mean he is without his flaws. I don't think you'll find any analysis that says ALL of our CB's or secondary are playing "shutdown". That would certainly explain why yards and TD's are being given up. Add to that the secondary isn't the only part of the defense covering people. The LB's are covering players as well.

As far as Gilmore being "vastly overrated", its pretty hard to argue with his abilities/skills if he is giving up 0 yards. Only 1 other player did that last week, Darrelle Revis. So, I'd say Gilmore is in pretty good company and certainly not overrated. Sure, maybe he wasn't thrown at a lot and he could have had 1 PI penalty but his abilities and coverage skill are what contributed to not being thrown at.

Lets not forget, he also is still coming back from an injury.