5.1 YPC

The Big Cat

This week's opponent is worst in the league allowing 5.1 YPC.

Anyone know anything about this team, enough to explain what the hell that's all about?

Is it because opponents are against the ropes? They haven't been blowing out their opposition, so the justification of having to "pass because they're behind" doens't seem to fit.

Anyone got any insight? Any Saints fans lurking?

This week's opponent is worst in the league allowing 5.1 YPC.

Anyone know anything about this team, enough to explain what the hell that's all about?

Is it because opponents are against the ropes? They haven't been blowing out their opposition, so the justification of having to "pass because they're behind" doens't seem to fit.

Anyone got any insight? Any Saints fans lurking?

Cue NoSaint's appearance in 3, 2, 1....

Cue NoSaint's appearance in 3, 2, 1....

Hey guys!

Starting and back up NT have been injured (bunkley and tyrunn walker), a lot of injuries in the front 7 generally (will smith is another, victor butler on PUP, kenyon coleman on IR). new scheme swapping from 43-34 and not a ton of cap making them additionally a bit thin up there. roman harper is very much an in the box player and hes missed games.

really, im amazed that the defense has been serviceable yet alone productive.

Edited by NoSaint

Hey guys!

Starting and back up NT have been injured (bunkley and tyrunn walker), a lot of injuries in the front 7 generally (will smith is another, victor butler on PUP, kenyon coleman on IR). new scheme swapping from 43-34 and not a ton of cap making them additionally a bit thin up there. roman harper is very much an in the box player and hes missed games.

Nice to have an "inside scoop" for our opponent. The extent of my knowledge of the Saints is "Brees is awesome" and "stop Sproles"

Nice to have an "inside scoop" for our opponent. The extent of my knowledge of the Saints is "Brees is awesome" and "stop Sproles"

no prob - they are an interesting team simply as a football fan. even though the bills are #1 its been really enjoyable watching them.

So, they have trouble stopping the run, and Grahm may not play. Sounds like some good news for us Bills fans!!

Yes, these are good things for the Bills, but the Saints are still a 5-1 team. They know how to win. The caveat to that is that they appear to only know how to beat weak teams this year. If you look at their schedule, all of their wins are against weak teams. Their one loss was to the Cheatriots. As much as I hate them, they are a good team. I guess what I am saying is, when it comes down to it, this is a winnable game. Do I think we will win? Mmmmmm, probably not, especially with Spiller and Jackson hobbled. If we are to win, one of them will need to be close to 100% or D Choice will need to come up with one kick a$$ of a run game! I think the game will be close, just like the last 7 nail biters. But I hope I sure as hell hope I am wrong and the Bills win by 20.

BigPappy

Hey guys!

The Saints are ranked #11 in total defense. They're actually #11 in rushing defense, and only #24 in passing defense. So it sounds like they're better at defending the run than the pass.

The 5.1 YPC stat is strange, given all of that. As it turns out, opposing teams have rushed only 135 times against the Saints, the lowest in the league. So teams are able to rush reasonably well, but they're just not trying it very much. Sounds to me like teams are having to give up on the run in order to pass and play catch up.

They're also #4 in scoring defense.

This is a good defense, which is helped by their incredibly efficient offense. The key is to do everything we can to keep their offense in check so we don't get too far behind too quickly, forcing us to give up on the running game.

Edited by Rubes

Hey guys!

Well, maybe CJ and Fred can get things back to normal for them.

The Saints are ranked #11 in total defense. They're actually #11 in rushing defense, and only #24 in passing defense. So it sounds like they're better at defending the run than the pass.

The 5.1 YPC stat is strange, given all of that. As it turns out, opposing teams have rushed only 135 times against the Saints, the lowest in the league. So teams are able to rush reasonably well, but they're just not trying it very much. Sounds to me like teams are having to give up on the run in order to pass and play catch up.

They're also #4 in scoring defense.

This is a good defense, which is helped by their incredibly efficient offense. The key is to do everything we can to keep their offense in check so we don't get too far behind too quickly, forcing us to give up on the running game.

yea - the 5.1 surprised me a little when i saw it, and all you said is very true. really the defense has been surprising.

theyve given up some scores out of the gate and made great adjustments. first few weeks the opposing offense ripped off some big plays on the first drive and then was essentially shut down the rest of the way. the scoring those three games from the opposing offense broke down as 24 out of 38 points allowed being in the first quarter (so 24 in 3 quarters of play and thats only 14 points in the remaining 9 quarters of play in those games).

i didnt think this defense, given the issues i mentioned in my first post, would have that kind of capability.

The best way to hang with this team would be to put up 150-175 yards of rushing and stay even in the time of possession battle.

If you look at the Saints three home games (23-17 over ATL, 31-7 over AZ, 38-17 over MIA) their opponents have been taken out of the running game. Those teams had 24, 24, and 26 minutes of possession respectively.

Correspondently, in New England's miracle win at Foxboro, the Pats hung in that game because they ran for 141 on the ground and established Ridley, ending up with a narrow edge in ToP.

In my mind that IS the game plan. The problem is going to be managing to be physical on the ground with Spiller and FJ as banged up as they are.

Edited by Flip Johnson

If we stop trying to run Spiller up the middle, the run game has a shot. Let Freddy and Choice run up the middle. That's what they're good at.

One more week of practice for Thad hopefully means getting in sync with his receivers. The guy can obviously throw the ball effective, just the timing needs to be better.

We really need a TEAM effort to win this game. Offense needs to step up, defense needs to get pressure on Brees and stop the run and ST, well damn, if they can just play manageable football I'll be happy...

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz