Question about Golf & Beer

Jon in Pasadena

OK, so I am a total beginner when it comes to the game of Golf. I mean we're talking complete duffer here. Never took a lesson, use a random assortment of clubs & balls, etc. Nevertheless, I occasionally meet up with a buddy at the local par-3 and hack around for 9 or 18 holes. Every time it's the same thing -- my tee shots either hook, slice, line drive, kill birds, get lost in trees, go off cliffs (the course is on a mountain) -- you name it. My pitches go over, under, around and generally everywhere except onto the greens. And my short game... well let's not even go there. :ph34r: So basically my game is horrible.....until last weekend.

Last Sunday I'm out with my usual partner in crime and just to mix it up a bit we snuck a 6-pack onto the course and split it over the first few holes. Instantly events turned surreal. Suddenly I'm hitting towering drives off the tee, straight down the fairways and more often than not landing on, or right next to the green. Every time. My pitches are chipping up perfectly and stopping within a make-able putt of the hole. And my putting is nothing short of miraculous. I mean, I'm sinking multiple 20-ft putts. Nailed a 30 footer for par. Got a tricky 15-footer where I had to curl it in due to an up/down slope. My buddy is like freaking out, as was I. Obviously I carded my best round ever. Now everything was the same as usual; same equipment, same course, same time of day, same golfing partner. The only variable was the beer. So my questions to those more knowledgeable than me in this area are:

Am I the only one who's experienced this? Is beer really *that* powerful a performance enhancer for Golf? :beer:

Whether its golf, darts, or driving I find theres a sweet spot somewhere around 5 or 6 beers where my performance is optimal. Less than that, too stiff. More than that, and the wheels start to come off.

For me it was shooting pool. When I was younger...much younger, we'd play in the local bars and the loser would buy the beer. As I won I just got better....up to a point. :D

For me it was shooting pool. When I was younger...much younger, we'd play in the local bars and the loser would buy the beer. As I won I just got better....up to a point. :D

I don't think this concept needs any qualifications. After 5 or 6 beers I am the best me that I can possibly be. Quick witted, jovial, more attractive, my checking account grows, and I'm nearly impervious to criticism. That is the sweet spot.

You will supply your own cup and pay your own medical bills.

As will you after you hit the ball.

Actually...that kind of sounds like a fun sport. I think the proper form would be bending over to expose as little surface as possible - helmet down, shoulder pads covering mid body, and thigh pads protecting the legs. I think I could get it.

As will you after you hit the ball.

Actually...that kind of sounds like a fun sport. I think the proper form would be bending over to expose as little surface as possible - helmet down, shoulder pads covering mid body, and thigh pads protecting the legs. I think I could get it.

As much as I enjoy the narrative of you as a some kind of fearsome giant with super human abilities, you're no Bill Brasky. You'd be better served toning down the rhetoric.

I don't think this concept needs any qualifications. After 5 or 6 beers I am the best me that I can possibly be. Quick witted, jovial, more attractive, my checking account grows, and I'm nearly impervious to criticism. That is the sweet spot.

Well I quit drinking a couple of moths ago and I suck at everything now. Well with the exception of being bright eyed and bushy tailed Sunday mornings.

As much as I enjoy the narrative of you as a some kind of fearsome giant with super human abilities, you're no Bill Brasky. You'd be better served toning down the rhetoric.

Ha. I am not trying to sound fearsome giant something something. I am just thinking it'd be fun to try. Not being tough. Just being dumb. It'd be a good challenge.

Whether its golf, darts, or driving I find theres a sweet spot somewhere around 5 or 6 beers where my performance is optimal. Less than that, too stiff. More than that, and the wheels start to come off.

What I like to refer to as alcohol equilibrium...staying at that point is more of an art than a science.

Maybe it's in your head? http://xfinitytv.com...-Goggles/videos

Nope. There's a lot of really really odd stuff in my head, but this time it was verified by external witnesses. (At least I think they're external. Cue Inception theme here.....)

Well I quit drinking a couple of moths ago and I suck at everything now. Well with the exception of being bright eyed and bushy tailed Sunday mornings.

Are you sure? :nana:

Beer, weed, both. Whatever gets you relaxed will help you on the course. My Rickie Fowler alter ego comes out when I'm fukked up on the course. All of a sudden I think I'm wearing all orange Puma gear and sticking approach shots.

110 yards out? Sounds like a 5 wood to me!