Should we feel sorry for these people?

http://news.yahoo.com/poll-half-older-workers-delay-072853749.html

Article: 'There was a time when Tom Sadowski thought he'd stop working after turning 65 earlier this year...and with four teenage daughters, the graphic designer from Sterling, Va...'

Comment: What's a 65-year-old doing with 4 teenage daughters???

Article: "One such retiree who returned to the workforce is Clara Marion, 69, of Covington, La., a teacher who retired in 2000...'

Comment: She retired at age 56???

Article: 'Dolores Gonzalez, 57, of Coalinga, Calif., expects no luxuries in retirement. She'll be happy if she can simply afford her $2,200 monthly mortgage payment.'

Comment: What's a 57-year-old doing with a mortgage, and a $2200 per month one at that???

Throughout one's life choices are made based on the best information at the time; in retrospect, some prove to be right, some prove to be costly. The cumulative effect is what one lives with.... So, I don't feel sorry for them any more than I feel happy for others who find things turned out OK in the long run. Ya' pays your money and ya' takes your choice. I'm living with my choices as we all are; I'll make the best with what I have and go from there.

It'll probably offend lots of people here, but having kids that late in life is often incredibly selfish.

Some folks may have tried for a 'long' time to have kids so it's tough to say.

To further the insanity, the kids get to collect social security payments once the parent retires.

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/505/kw/

Some folks may have tried for a 'long' time to have kids so it's tough to say.

To further the insanity, the kids get to collect social security payments once the parent retires.

http://ssa-custhelp....il/a_id/505/kw/

Considering the gubmint probably paid for the fertility treatments in the first place, this seems perfectly reasonable. <_<

Just another step on Obama's "we'll pay for you from cradle to grave" plan.

It'll probably offend lots of people here, but having kids that late in life is often incredibly selfish.

I don't think that's an unreasonable thing to say. often times it is selfish to have children late in life. for some, that's not necessarily the case, but you avoided making yours a blanket statement. there's not a lot of wisdon involved in becoming a parent when you're at the point where you may be considering retirement as a lifestyle option.

http://news.yahoo.co...-072853749.html

Article: 'There was a time when Tom Sadowski thought he'd stop working after turning 65 earlier this year...and with four teenage daughters, the graphic designer from Sterling, Va...'

Comment: What's a 65-year-old doing with 4 teenage daughters???

Article: "One such retiree who returned to the workforce is Clara Marion, 69, of Covington, La., a teacher who retired in 2000...'

Comment: She retired at age 56???

Article: 'Dolores Gonzalez, 57, of Coalinga, Calif., expects no luxuries in retirement. She'll be happy if she can simply afford her $2,200 monthly mortgage payment.'

Comment: What's a 57-year-old doing with a mortgage, and a $2200 per month one at that???

I didn't get the sense that the article was seeking sympathy rather than opining on the demographic reality. The days of 60-65 year old retirements are long gone. People never properly plan well for retirement and there needs to be serious pension & SS reform in the public & private sectors, because the demographics are leading to a fiscal disaster.

I didn't get the sense that the article was seeking sympathy rather than opining on the demographic reality. The days of 60-65 year old retirements are long gone. People never properly plan well for retirement and there needs to be serious pension & SS reform in the public & private sectors, because the demographics are leading to a fiscal disaster.

Or at least higher taxes and less military spending

I will be 60 when my son graduates from high school. His birth saved my wife from a crippling sickness.

Yeah, I get your point, but things are never as they seem. And to be honest, I wish more people would wait longer to have children. Selfish, latte-drinking, iPhone-needing idiots raising smaller idiots is a

pretty big problem in this country.

Edited by LABillzFan

I will be 60 when my son graduates from high school. His birth saved my wife from a crippling sickness.

Yeah, I get your point, but things are never as they seem. And to be honest, I wish more people would wait longer to have children. Selfish, latte-drinking, iPhone-needing idiots raising smaller idiots is a

I tried to throw in an "often" in my statement to leave room for exceptions, because there are always exceptions.

But I seem to know an increasing number of people that aren't having kids until they are 45-50, just because...

Sometimes they remarried, and apparently need a set of kids with the new spouse, sometimes they just didn't get around to it earlier. Fewer and fewer seem to have thought about the repercussions of this decision in their own lives, much less their kids' lives.

They just finally decided they wanted kids, so they had them. They had the childhood they wanted, they had the career they wanted, they lived how they wanted, and now feel they need the kids they want. They have no answers for questions concerning finances, health issues, time commitments, lifestyle choices, etc... when it comes to adding kids to their equation. Neither do most young people, but at 45-50, you should really know better.

But I also agree, there is still a lot of life to learn at 22 when a lot of "kids" think they're ready to have kids.

Also, there is no such thing as a perfect parent, no matter the age. We all screw our kids up in 1 way or another, hopefully we don't mess them up too badly.

I tried to throw in an "often" in my statement to leave room for exceptions, because there are always exceptions.

But I seem to know an increasing number of people that aren't having kids until they are 45-50, just because...

Sometimes they remarried, and apparently need a set of kids with the new spouse, sometimes they just didn't get around to it earlier. Fewer and fewer seem to have thought about the repercussions of this decision in their own lives, much less their kids' lives.

They just finally decided they wanted kids, so they had them. They had the childhood they wanted, they had the career they wanted, they lived how they wanted, and now feel they need the kids they want. They have no answers for questions concerning finances, health issues, time commitments, lifestyle choices, etc... when it comes to adding kids to their equation. Neither do most young people, but at 45-50, you should really know better.

But I also agree, there is still a lot of life to learn at 22 when a lot of "kids" think they're ready to have kids.

Also, there is no such thing as a perfect parent, no matter the age. We all screw our kids up in 1 way or another, hopefully we don't mess them up too badly.

Most of the people I deal with at the hospital a very affluent, and getting remarried to younger spouse if very common, and having kids 30 years apart is not uncommmen. the only good thing is they will leave large amount of reources to those children so they don;t become someone elses problem.

Or at least higher taxes and less military spending

Answer me this. How is having less money going to allow people to save more for their retirement? Saving for retirement is on you you know right?

And on the other hand 40 year old Chardonnay drinking iPad-needing idiots having kids because they feel they're missing out and are incomplete and then realize that their new found "bundles of joy" are interfering with their Chardonnay drinking, European vacation taking lifestyle is also a problem in this country. Kids being raised by nannies.

Edited by Chef Jim

Answer me this. How is having less money going to allow people to save more for their retirement? Saving for retirement is on you you know right?

And on the other hand 40 year old Chardonnay drinking iPad-needing idiots having kids because they feel they're missing out and are incomplete and then realize that their new found "bundles of joy" are interfering with their Chardonnay drinking, European vacation taking lifestyle is also a problem in this country. Kids being raised by nannies.

lol, in many cases very true.

Fair enough on all counts. Forgive me indulging on the following, but I didn't ever want children. That job belonged to someone else. Someone less selfish, less goal-driven, and preferably with a better family tree. Pretty much anyone but me.

When my wife did get pregnant (via very costly AI, pretty much right after she had some surgery), it was a miserable pregnancy. I can't remember the technical name for what went wrong, but suffice it to say there was a lot of blood that led to her being on bed rest for the last 19 weeks before giving birth about 5 or 6 weeks early. The first few times she bled, it wasn't too bad, and the nurses would tell us not to worry unless you pass "the toe test;" that is, if you can feel the blood flowing to your toes. That pretty much described our last trip to the ER, and as we drove to the hospital, both of us holding hands, crying a little, they rushed us in for what seemed an eternity as they tried to find a heartbeat.

The very moment they found the heartbeat, my entire life changed. All my priorities changed. Where I fail repeatedly is in thinking, hoping and wishing that the birth of a child changes everyone like that. It doesn't. And as I look around at other 7,8,9-year olds and their parents, I realize that I may love my family unconditionally, but I pretty much hate the rest of the world because they're all a bunch of nutbags.

Regarding people raising kids I've seen something twice in the past couple of weeks I have to share. A guy (hispanic, mid-30's I guess) walking up the hill in front of our house with his daughter and her bike. It's real steep. He's on the road side, bent way over one hand on her handlebar, one on her seat. She (maybe 6 or 7) on the other side one hand on her seat one hand on the handlebar in her pink bicycle helmet. It's the cutest thing I've ever seen but something you rarely see these days. A young dad out with his daughter working as a team. Funny something as simple as that makes me stop with the yard work and think Wow. Sad really.