4th and Goal at the one

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little late on this, BUT, Marv Levy would kick the field goal and take the points, every single time. Just sayin.

GO BILLS!!!!!

Marv was also badly outcoached in the Bills/Giants Superbowl. Bill Belichick--one of the people who outcoached Marv--is known for going for it on 4th down.

Marv was also badly outcoached in the Bills/Giants Superbowl. Bill Belichick--one of the people who outcoached Marv--is known for going for it on 4th down.

I prefer to take the points. Just my preference. Goiing for it on 4th in the situation in quesiton and not making it is equilivant to taking three points off the board and/or giving the opponent 3 points. Also, getting STUFFED on that play was a big momentum changer. Come off the fileld with the field goal, and we still have some bounce in our step!

Additionally, in my eyes, Marv Levy can do no wriong, ever! Love Marv and his book! I mean, where else would you rather be!?!?!?!

GO BILLS!!!!!

One more thing in reference to Bilicheat, when he went for it on 4th down on us in the season opener and we stopped them, I was going NUTS!!!!! LOVED IT!

GO BILLS!!!!!

Yeah... BUT if you take the points. It is only 3 points. They went for it on 4th early in the 4th quarter and got a TD. If they would have went for both points on 2 occasions, that is only a gain of 6 points total. They earned 7 points taking a chance!

I argue that they tied the games because they went for it on 4th on first occasion. IMO, they would have lost by 2 points in regulation if the game didn't play out like it did... No way they make the 2 point conversion to tie the game!

Again... It is a wash because they made a TD on 4th later in the game. They came out with a net gain of 1 point rather than going the conservative route both times! And even that isn't a gimme... The second kick would have been a 39 yarder.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I prefer to take the points. Just my preference. Goiing for it on 4th in the situation in quesiton and not making it is equilivant to taking three points off the board and/or giving the opponent 3 points. Also, getting STUFFED on that play was a big momentum changer. Come off the fileld with the field goal, and we still have some bounce in our step!

Additionally, in my eyes, Marv Levy can do no wriong, ever! Love Marv and his book! I mean, where else would you rather be!?!?!?!

GO BILLS!!!!!

One more thing in reference to Bilicheat, when he went for it on 4th down on us in the season opener and we stopped them, I was going NUTS!!!!! LOVED IT!

GO BILLS!!!!!

Have you read his novel, "Between the Lies"?

Tom Landry would never have gone for it either and he and Marv are both in the Hall of Fame and coached in a combined 20% of all SuperBowls.

No matter how much the Marroners want to say it was a good call, they'll never convince me otherwise. They fail to take into account the momentum aspect which you so astutely point out.

GO BILLS!!!!!

Tom Landry would never have gone for it either and he and Marv are both in the Hall of Fame and coached in a combined 20% of all SuperBowls.

No matter how much the Marroners want to say it was a good call, they'll never convince me otherwise. They fail to take into account the momentum aspect which you so astutely point out.

GO BILLS!!!!!

Perhaps a scientific statistical analysis will sway you instead of a good book. Consider this study of the situation: http://fifthdown.blo...go-for-it/?_r=0

To me 4th and goal at the one early in a close game is basically a no brainer go for it situation most of the time, as this analysis illustrates.

Edited by vincec

marrone is thinking he is at home and it appears it is going to be an offensive high scoring game. He went for it. The call was not great, but the idea of going for it was. Marrone understands he has a young team overall that plays very emmotionally. He was hoping to get on a roll.

And the Bills do not win by kicking the field goal. Listening to Boomer and Solomon repeat that over and over again was terrible.

Perhaps a scientific statistical analysis will sway you instead of a good book. Consider this study of the situation: http://fifthdown.blo...go-for-it/?_r=0

This is a nice theory. If football were played on graphs and charts instead of the field and if "expected points" counted on the scoreboard then maybe so.

Again, it doesn't take into the account the momentum factor, which is HUGE in football. Forcing the other team to turn it over on downs, especially on the goal line is the most macho thing you can do in football with the exception of a safety. Causes a big emotional (momentum) lift for the defensive team and a let down for the team not getting it. Ignore this part of it at your own peril (99 yard scoring drive).

This is a nice theory. If football were played on graphs and charts instead of the field and if "expected points" counted on the scoreboard then maybe so.

Again, it doesn't take into the account the momentum factor, which is HUGE in football. Forcing the other team to turn it over on downs, especially on the goal line is the most macho thing you can do in football with the exception of a safety. Causes a big emotional (momentum) lift for the defensive team and a let down for the team not getting it. Ignore this part of it at your own peril (99 yard scoring drive).

Wait, didn't you just laud Marv for playing the percentages and kicking it at the goal line? Turns out that this wasn't really the percentage play. You can say that your "gut" says to kick a field goal because of momentum or whatever but the percentage play is actually to go for it. That is demonstrable statistically.

Edited by vincec

GO BILLS!!!!!

And in hindsight, pin your hopes on a 2pt. conversion... Wait, that 2pt conversion rule was not in place during Landry's time and only @ the end of Marv's. Both of those guys would have easily lost that game in regulation... The way that game played out.

And in hindsight, pin your hopes on a 2pt. conversion... Wait, that 2pt conversion rule was not in place during Landry's time and only @ the end of Marv's. Both of those guys would have easily lost that game in regulation... The way that game played out.

You know, I keep reading that on here. But you can't predict with any more certainty that if we had taken the FG we would have been behind by 11 at the time we went for the 4th and 8 than you can to say that 3 points would have won us the game. If it's 10 - 10 and the Bungles don't get the huge momentum lift for the Goal Line Stand, it's a different game. None of us can know would have know what would have happened.

I'm just saying, down 10-7 is the second quarter, I go for the FG every doggone time. I can't say if we would have won or not and neither can anyone else.

You know, I keep reading that on here. But you can't predict with any more certainty that if we had taken the FG we would have been behind by 11 at the time we went for the 4th and 8 than you can to say that 3 points would have won us the game. If it's 10 - 10 and the Bungles don't get the huge momentum lift for the Goal Line Stand, it's a different game. None of us can know would have know what would have happened.

I'm just saying, down 10-7 is the second quarter, I go for the FG every doggone time. I can't say if we would have won or not and neither can anyone else.

I understand what you are saying about momemtum. Yet, turning over on downs still pins them deep. Kick the FG readjusts the field position battle. What you are saying really is a non-factor, IMO.

I understand what you are saying about momemtum. Yet, turning over on downs still pins them deep. Kick the FG readjusts the field position battle. What you are saying really is a non-factor, IMO.

OK. We'll have go agree to disagree. Momentum plays a big role in football IMHO

Fair enough. We did get stuffed, but our D should have been licking their chops to get at them so deep in their zone. Momentum was zapped out of O... D should have never let them break out!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Actually, "momentum" is a non-factor and I believe that too has been statistically proven. But even so, I would argue that timidly kicking a FG in that situation, then kicking off to the other team swings the "momentum" to the bengals. And would not scoring a TD have created huge "momentum" for the Bills? If losing momentum sucks, then isn't it worth the risk to try to affirmatively capture it? How does that work on your "momentum" scale? Edited by mannc

Actually, "momentum" is a non-factor and I believe that too has been statistically proven. But even so, I would argue that timidly kicking a FG in that situation, then kicking off to the other team swings the "momentum" to the bengals. And would not scoring a TD have created huge "momentum" for the Bills? If losing momentum sucks, then isn't it worth the risk to try to affirmatively capture it? How does that work on your "momentum" scale?

I agree!