Thad Lewis Is A Better Option Than EJ Manuel Right Now

Bryce Paup

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rU2o1dqLZuw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I know a lot of people are gonna disagree with me. but when I watch this tape from what he did against the Steelers #1 defense last year. I see a player who reads the entire field and delivers the ball on time. yes he made a couple of bad reads but overall he made very good decisions with the football. EJ may have a bigger upside than Lewis but Lewis is still young too at only 25, If the offense is more productive with Thad I'd say we ride with him til the end of the season

http://youtu.be/rU2o1dqLZuw

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this thread title, even tho Thad has yet to take a regular season snap in a Bills uniform.

I'll say this about Thad Lewis. He sounds very confident and he has performed OK in a live NFL game...so i actually do expect him to maintain EJ's very average to mediocre level of QB play. If Thad improves on that level of play, it's a huge bonus, obviously.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rU2o1dqLZuw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I know a lot of people are gonna disagree with me. but when I watch this tape from what he did against the Steelers #1 defense last year. I see a player who reads the entire field and delivers the ball on time. yes he made a couple of bad reads but overall he made very good decisions with the football. EJ may have a bigger upside than Lewis but Lewis is still young too at only 25, If the offense is more productive with Thad I'd say we ride with him til the end of the season

I can't argue with the rock-solid theory that a single game's worth of footage is definitive. I don't know why people insist on having more evidence of a player's ability than a single game. It's crazy thinking like that which caused Rob Johnson's talent to be so long overlooked. Edited by Mickey

You are right - have to disagree. We have no idea how Lewis will perform based on one meaningless end of season game and some preseason. Losing Manuel is a blow to the Bills however you look at it, especially in terms of continuing development. There is no comparison in skills sets, leadership, or big game experience. Hopefully Lewis can perform well enough to keep the Bills alive until the real QB gets back.

Edited by MDFan

Based on the tape of what he did against a better defense than EJ has played against , I like Thad's willingness to stand in the pocket and go through all of his progressions.. he never locked on to one Wide out the whole time and he spreads the ball around.. he can do everything EJ can do right now. Taking nothing away EJ at all I just think we'll be alright with Thad

This makes as much sense as thinking CJ Spiller can get 2,000 rushing yards this year.

LOL or the guy that says 19-0 after every reply too right?

Based on the tape of what he did against a better defense than EJ has played against , I like Thad's willingness to stand in the pocket and go through all of his progressions.. he never locked on to one Wide out the whole time and he spreads the ball around.. he can do everything EJ can do right now. Taking nothing away EJ at all I just think we'll be alright with Thad

Certainly, you can understand that basing your prediction on one game might be met with some resistance.

I'm actually curious to see how big of a drop off in talent we'll see on Sunday. I am confident that EJ is the man, and will be the man, at QB for the Bills for a long time.

But as of today .. he's got 4 games under his belt. Three more than Thad.

What Thad doesn't have is an entire offseason, preseason and those four starts that EJ had to gel with his teammates.

I'm hoping that Thad has developed a somewhat solid rapport with guys like Woods and Easley (we need this kid on the field). I have high hopes for Thad this weekend. I have confidence in him.

But I do not think, for one minute, that he is a long-term upgrade over EJ Manuel.

Go Bills!!

Starting for an injured Mark Brunell in 1997, Rob Johnson led the Jags to a win, going 20-24 for 294 yards and 2 TDs. So we traded a 1st and 4th round draft pick for him.

I wouldn't evaluate a guy based on one game.

On the other hand, I'm optimistic about the Cinci game. We've been banged up this season but getting a lot of people back. Outside the QB position, this is the healthiest we've been all year.

And, as the OP opines, Thad might do as well as EJ - who was playing like the rookie that he is. I'm not sure how big the drop off is right now from Manuel to Lewis but hopefully it's not much if anything.

Starting for an injured Mark Brunell in 1997, Rob Johnson led the Jags to a win, going 20-24 for 294 yards and 2 TDs. So we traded a 1st and 4th round draft pick for him.

I wouldn't evaluate a guy based on one game.

On the other hand, I'm optimistic about the Cinci game. We've been banged up this season but getting a lot of people back. Outside the QB position, this is the healthiest we've been all year.

And, as the OP opines, Thad might do as well as EJ - who was playing like the rookie that he is. I'm not sure how big the drop off is right now from Manuel to Lewis but hopefully it's not much if anything.

I painfully remember this too, and I was extremley mad when he came back when Doug Flutie was playing outstanding football... who knows maybe Thad can be the new Doug Flutie

Not a long term option, but you can tell with some of the throws he made he's capable of making plays for us especially if CJ and Freddy get goin

That's our key to the game on offense. Lewis can play-act and Cinci is below average against the run. We establish the run, cliche or not, we can take advantage of their defense.

GO BILLS!!!

The Backup QB is always the most popular guy on the team....

And that is where Thad should be.....a guy we know we can go to if something happens to EJ and not fall apart.

But when healthy EJ IS our QB.....and he has earned that.....EJ's is pretty good for a rookie....and his potential to get better is insanely high

Where I am having a hard time is I fully believe we would have won the browns game if Thad had been the backup instead of Tuel....no way we should have went with 2 rookies (with one of them being a undrafted guy) to start the season

It bit us