CJ Spiller health and performance thread

rayray808

Cj is averaging 4 yards a carry and Freddy is averaging 4.8

Cj had 296 yards on the season and Fred has 309

3rd in NFL in Rushing. 152 yards a game and 5 TDs which is third in the league. Most attempts in the league too.

People are wayyyy to hard on this palycalling. It isn't flashy but it has been more effective than people would like to admit

Bah, who needs statistics?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The scheme needs to include more screens but overall I think the expectations were too high going into the season, especially after Hackett ran off at the mouth. Does anyone think his Grandfather's messed up situation before the season began played a factor in preparation up until this point? I still believe he will break out but then again I'm a Bills fan so my eternal optimism can't be trusted.

The scheme needs to include more screens but overall I think the expectations were too high going into the season, especially after Hackett ran off at the mouth. Does anyone think his Grandfather's messed up situation before the season began played a factor in preparation up until this point? I still believe he will break out but then again I'm a Bills fan so my eternal optimism can't be trusted.

Ran his mouth? What did he say that they haven't done? Most. Attempt. In the NFL.

Still can't figure this one out. Almost 100% of people would like CJ's chances of juking a defender one on one in open space. In this scenario he would be carrying a football and the defender could use his hands all he wants. In a pass route, CJ would not be burdened with carrying a ball and the defender is significantly limited as to how much contact he can have. How would he not be open 90% of the time?

Still can't figure this one out. Almost 100% of people would like CJ's chances of juking a defender one on one in open space. In this scenario he would be carrying a football and the defender could use his hands all he wants. In a pass route, CJ would not be burdened with carrying a ball and the defender is significantly limited as to how much contact he can have. How would he not be open 90% of the time?

Two different things. Was Roscoe Parrish open all the time?

Interesting you says this. I feel like we haven't seen him out catching passes as much as the other RBs. He will be back in form. He is going to end up being more of a utility player than a RB when it's all done a change of pace back...

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

You guys and gals are missing the point. The NFL now is a passing league period. So a good game for a back is `150 yards, a good game for a QB is 500 yards. Backs are a dime a dozen and interchangeable. McGhee, A. Smith, Lynch, Jackson, Spiller; whats the difference as there is a no good offense unless the QB can throw it long and to a receiver who can actually catch the ball.

To be top 5 in total rushing yards when you lead the league in attempts (the last I read the stat was before last week) is not all that impressive.

We had like over 50 rushing attempts in a single game for like 200 yards. You will get your yards when you rush it that much.

To be honest, Gailey's running attack was more impressive IMO.

Although underutilized overall last year by Gailey, when Spiller was in there, Chan, being a true OC (and over his head as a HC) knew HOW to use him. This year's brain trust is willing to put him on the field but does not seem to know how to effectively utilize him; too many inside handoffs hoping he will bounce it outside. Could you imagine what some HC's/OC's would be doing with this duo of Jackson and Spiller? Granted the Bills are leading the league in rushing but they need to get more out of CJ beginning this week.

I don't see anyone mentioning the lack of a passing attack as being a huge part of the reason why the Bills running game isn't creating more big plays.

When you force teams to respect your deep ball, they don't stack the box every 1st and 2nd down.

The Bills have not proven they have a deep threat and therefore teams do not respect it.

You don't hear about how coaches are game planning to prevent Stevie, TJ or Woods from burning them deep. Teams don't have to game plan for it because the Bills can't execute it.

If the Bills could execute deep passing plays, all of a sudden you would see the big plays in the running game start happening.

Thurman Thomas used to get huge plays running the ball and in shovel passes because teams were afraid the ball was going deep to lofton, Bebe or deep over the middle to Andre Reed. The Bills used to run draws out of the shotgun a lot.

Remember how bad teams used to crap themselves when on the first play of the game on offense Jim Kelly would launch a sideline missile to Lofton or someone else? If they fear your passing threat, you will be able to run the ball even with backs not as good as Spiller or Jackson. If they don't fear your passing threat then you have to have the best talent in the NFL (on the OL and in the backfield) to run the ball well consistently. That is my opinion.

Spiller's a role playing RB. He had an exceptional season last year in that role that he'll likely never match. A good chunk of it was his newness as such, teams were not expecting it and didn't really plan for it and had little film since he didn't do that in 2010 or '11.

Now they have film, know what he can do, and on top of it this team in its glaring failure to realize that Spiller's merely a role-player as such, tried to make him a 3-down RB, which he's clearly not.

Everyone knows that at 32 Jackson's days are numbered, and while Jackson's playing well now, he was a solid 3-down RB but will not be here in that role henceforth. He'll weary as the season goes on and as always, 32+ year-old RBs are always more susceptible to injury than when they were in their primes.

Gailey knew what Spiller was. How come this staff doesn't? That's one of the numerous not good signs for them.

This ...

Get him in space. Why is he not split out once and a while?

Well, maybe teams aren't giving him that "space" anymore.

I mean what does it say for a player that can only gain yards "in space?"

"In space" usually means with no one around. Well don't most players, if not all of them, gain yards in space contrasted with in traffic? Of course they do.

It's a cliched term that most people and media types throw out there haven't thought through what it means all the way.