CJ Spiller health and performance thread

rayray808

No matter how you cut it, Spiller is under performing this year. Many factors play in here, in fact too many to list, some his fault, some not.

What are your feeling regarding his on field performance this year...

A) physical set backs? or

B) is the schemes and play calling holding him back?

C) other

For me, personally it is B. We are running him like he is a "Freddy" or "Lynch" type back who can hit the hole, gain the extra yards, and potentially hit the homerun should a safety be out of place. What we need to do is create space for him to get outside, and utilize his speed, like he did last year. I don't think his ankle is a huge issue, especially if he is still splitting carries with Freddy.

I strongly feel that if we can fix the play calls when CJ is in, we can overcome the hurdle of a 3rd string QB, by pounding the rock with CJ/Freddy, and hitting short passes with Stevie/Woods/and most importantly Chandler.

What say you?

Edited by rayray808

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No matter how you cut it, Spiller is under performing this year. Many factors play in here, in fact too many to list, some his fault, some not.

What are your feeling regarding his on field performance this year...

A) physical set backs? or

B) is the schemes and play calling holding him back?

C) other

For me, personally it is B. We are running him like he is a "Freddy" or "Lynch" type back who can hit the hole, gain the extra yards, and potentially hit the homerun should a safety be out of place. What we need to do is create space for him to get outside, and utilize his speed, like he did last year. I don't think his ankle is a huge issue, especially if he is still splitting carries with Freddy.

I strongly feel that if we can fix the play calls when CJ is in, we can overcome the hurdle of a 3rd string QB, by pounding the rock with CJ/Freddy, and hitting short passes with Stevie/Woods/and most importantly Chandler.

What say you?

I think he's played fine, this is the NFL, there aren't many RB's in the league TEARING IT UP!!!!

I do think they need to get him in space more often, if they can do that he'll do much better.

I say this has been discussed a hundred times on here....I believe everyone has agreed it is the scheme holding him back..

This one.

PUTRID!? Good enough for the third most running yards and the 13th best YPC (separated from no. 3 by half a yard per carry). And that's PUTRID?

I don't know our exact rank but I do know our rushing attempts are easily top 10, probably top 5 in the league which allows for a higher total yards. Our YPC is pretty decent (not putrid) but no denying that Spiller's statistics are less impressive than last year.

The reason for this is definitely B, but I wouldn't call our team's running scheme as a whole "putrid". Teams have also realized how much of a weapon Spiller is, causing teams to focus on him more and open up opportunities for EJ's passing game.

Cj is averaging 4 yards a carry and Freddy is averaging 4.8

Cj had 296 yards on the season and Fred has 309

3rd in NFL in Rushing. 152 yards a game and 5 TDs which is third in the league. Most attempts in the league too.

People are wayyyy to hard on this palycalling. It isn't flashy but it has been more effective than people would like to admit

Cj is averaging 4 yards a carry and Freddy is averaging 4.8

Cj had 296 yards on the season and Fred has 309

3rd in NFL in Rushing. 152 yards a game and 5 TDs which is third in the league. Most attempts in the league too.

People are wayyyy to hard on this palycalling. It isn't flashy but it has been more effective than people would like to admit

I understand the the numbers are decent, but we all know what kind of talent is loaded in our backfield, dare I even say best tandem in the league, and we should be getting tons of receiving yards from them as well (dump passes).

I think we can use this EJ injury to our benefit and plug in Thad and just have him keep the offense simple, and chip away at teams. With our defense playing like they are, we can win 17-10 type games in the trenches.

Right CJ has played hurt and has never said a word a bought it. Fred has taught him right. Another post said you never hear him say anthing other than us, we , our team and it's all about the W. Class act. We will pay him the big bucks and he deserves it. The Bird has to go. Holding back the team. Spiller will be our play maker for years to come.

I understand the the numbers are decent, but we all know what kind of talent is loaded in our backfield, dare I even say best tandem in the league, and we should be getting tons of receiving yards from them as well (dump passes).

I think we can use this EJ injury to our benefit and plug in Thad and just have him keep the offense simple, and chip away at teams. With our defense playing like they are, we can win 17-10 type games in the trenches.

Decent? Thats a top 5 rushing attack in every statistical category!