Trade Steve Johnson to Atlanta if the offer is right?

Dean Cain

Trade Stevie?  

186 members have voted

1. 1. Should The Bills Explore Trading Steve Johnson to Atlanta?

2. 2. If Yes, what would be a suitable draft pick?

First off the Falcons GM is no boob. He is an ex chief scout- director of player personnel from the NE Patriots. I just don't see a someone as smart as Thomas Dimitroff getting fleeced for anything by Doug Whaley.

Second, the Falcons need more then one WR as they were failing even when Julio Jones was healthy because Roddy White has been injured all year.

Third, the Falcons have greater needs on defense, O line, RB. Did any watch Geno Smith leisurely take the crappy Jets offense down the field for a FG against that bad Atlanta D?

Fourth, as someone else pointed out the Bills might have a better chance at dumping Byrd to the Falcons for a #2-#3.

Fifth, SJ loves Buffalo and loves playing for Buffalo which is something sort of rare in today's NFL, keep SJ and dump the punk with the imaginary foot problems.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You won't get that. And even if you did why would you make the trade? So that you can use that pick to go out and fill the hole that trading him created? All of the positives that you pointed to at the end of your statement are reasons why he should continue to be a member of this team.

+1

Let me preface the following by saying I think Steve Johnson is a good #2 slot receiver option and will be for the next 3-5 years. Steve Johnson appears to be near the height of his athletic and professional ability. At 27 it appears we have seen the ceiling of Johnson's statistical ability, and that is around 70 catches for 1,000 yards and 6 touchdowns per season. While these numbers don't jump off the stat sheet they are good starting WR in the NFL numbers.

Atlanta has been devastated at the WR position with injuries to Julio Jones & Roddy White. Atlanta coerced Tony Gonzalez out of retirement for one last swan song. With the hope that they could do for him what Pittsburgh did for Jerome Bettis in 2005, culminating in a Super Bowl victory.

Now the question must be asked. If you were Doug Whaley would you at least entertain trading your star WR to Atlanta? The argument can be made that 2013 was always about setting up the Bills for years to come. While Steve Johnson will only be 28 in 2014, it appears that there is depth at the WR position for Buffalo.

I understand this would be an unpopular choice among the fan base, as #13 jerseys proliferate any Sunday Bills gathering. This decision would be likened to "tanking" the season a la Cleveland trading their best player Trent Richardson to Indianapolis for a 1st round pick in 2014.

One could argue the merits of tanking a season given the results of recent #1 overall draft picks. Additionally I understand that Jairus Byrd is the player most Bills fans want to trade. Steve Johnson chose to stay in Buffalo for a fair value. Johnson has embraced Buffalo, and in turn we have been willing to forgive him for his occasional drops, and antics.

What say you?

No. Thats what i say. No.

For a 2nd I'd trade him to any team in football outside the AFC east. For a 1st I'd give him to any team in the NFL.

Otherwise no.

I'd trade Byrd for a bag of chips at this point, unless I was Ralph then I'd franchise and sit him out of spite just because I could.

Edited by AKA Bigdog

No way! We do not yet have existing sufficient #1 receiver talent to replace him. Suddenly we would need to draft a WR high in the next draft to replace him. I would take " a bird (not a Byrd, lol) in the hand" top level wide receiver talent over gambling that we MAY get such talent with a high draft pick next year. We also could end up drafting yet another "Maybin" and end up with yet another critical unfilled hole in our team next year.

From the Bills' perspective, the advantage to Atlanta being 1-4 is that their first rounder will presumably be worth that much more. If the Falcons aren't willing to give up their first rounder in return for Stevie, then the Bills should keep doing what they're doing.

exactly. First rounder or nothing! Then draft Lee from USC.

Atlanta needs help on defense, Byrd . Stevie is a keeper , Revis could not cover him.

Bid Byrd with Atl v. Denver. Denver may be willing to give up a 1st and 3/4th because their window to win is NOW.

Package deal: Byrd and SJ for 1st and 2nd to first bidder!!!!!

1st, 2nd and 3rd. Perhaps Oakland bites. Denver may also find this appealing.

I'll never understand why teams even consider trading proven players for draft picks. It's a stupid gamble that almost never works out.

The point of the draft is to select a college prospect that you HOPE becomes a good player. Why would you trade a good player for the CHANCE you get something decent in return.

Over the last few years, we've traded Willis McGahee, Marshawn Lynch, Lee Evans and Jason Peters for draft picks. On every single trade, we ended up on the short end of the stick.

The closest we got to a good deal was in the Peters deal - since we ended up with a pretty good player in the draft (Eric Wood). Despite the grudge that most Bills fans hold against Peters, they must admit that Wood is nowhere near the player Peters has been (3x Pro Bowler and 2x All-Pro since leaving Buffalo). When healthy, Wood is probably a Top 10-15 center in the NFL. When healthy, Peters is probably a Top 5 left tackle.

And it's not just us. What did Denver get in return for Jay Cutler? What did the Oakland Raiders get in return for Randy Moss? Do you think Dee Millner will make Jets fans forget Darrelle Revis? Please.

20 years ago, the Dallas Cowboys fleeced the Minnesota Vikings for Herschel Walker. Now everyone thinks draft picks are gold. It's ridiculous.

exactly. First rounder or nothing! Then draft Lee from USC.

Let's assume that Buffalo can get a high 1st round pick for Stevie Johnson (not in a million years). They can select Marquise Lee, Sammy Watkins or another top WR.

What are the chances Lee/Watkins eventually turn out as good as Stevie Johnson, 2-3 years down the road? 50 percent? 25 percent? 10 percent?

In the best case scenario (a high 1st rounder), we would still be taking a huge gamble. Stupid.

For a first rounder? No question.

But that's not a price Atlanta is likely to pay at 1-4. If they were 4-1 they might be more willing to make a bold move.

Ya ATL would have to be out of their minds to give up a high pick when they're not going anywhere this year anyway. Julio is coming back next year AFAIK.

Also WR's last longer and matter more than RB's so not feeling the Richardson comparison.

I'll never understand why teams even consider trading proven players for draft picks. It's a stupid gamble that almost never works out.

It's very simple. The player in question (Byrd) has no value on our football team. He is refusing to play, didn't want to sign a long-term deal with us, and in all likelihood may never play another down as a Bill. Why let him go for free?

As for Johnson, I don't think trading a target for EJ is a good idea.

Because they're not making the playoffs again

Trade for picks while you can

Stevie's not getting traded with his current awful contract, so this is silly. I'd be open to a 2nd for him if the guaranteed money wasn't a killer.

Right. Lets trade a proven NFL player who is a top contributor to this team on and off the field for a pick we can use to take a player that will maybe work out.

Then, if that player is a bust we can start topics about cutting said player or about how we should trade player to team x for a 7th round pick. I mean that team would be crazy not to want a former 1st or 2nd rounder for a 7th round pick. Right? Right?!?!?

Ya ATL would have to be out of their minds to give up a high pick when they're not going anywhere this year anyway. Julio is coming back next year AFAIK.

Also WR's last longer and matter more than RB's so not feeling the Richardson comparison.

It's actually not stupid. SJ drops important catches ALL THE TIME. Meanwhile, EJ seems to have better chemistry with fellow rookie Woods. SJ will probably be "over the hill" when the Bills are actually a contending team. Trading him to the Falcons for a 1st rounder and landing someone like Lee (who played with Woods at USC) is a smart move. I'd put the odds that Lee or another top rookie WR having a productive season very high. Plus, you are also discounting the progress Woods will have made by next year. The top actual WR drafted this year (not counting the Rams ridiculous drafting of undersized T. Austin) was D. Hopkins. He is making a good impact for the Texans, and will likely be better this year than SJ3, and certainly better next year than him.

LOL that Stevie isnt a #1 reciever. Sure he isnt 6'5'' but no one can cover the guy. The only thing holding him back is a bad QB

That is a great point. I would like to see what he could do with a legit #1 QB. But we don't have that. I really don't care if they trade him or not, the biggest need now is the Byrd situation, and getting a QB.

Makes no sense to dig another hole and make WR a need.

More importantly, you would be taking a weapon away from EJ.

Perhaps I'm changing my mind a bit. Not only taking a weapon away from EJ, but SJ allows Woods to face a teams #2 corner. Which is often very productive for him.

Keep Stevie. This team is rebuilding and needs to develop a core of talent at the skills positions. Next draft will focus, IMO, on the Offensive Line, LB and DB. Offense can be good with a solid line that can give EJ time to throw. With all the injuries there is hope that the future will be brighter for the Bills.