If the Sabres were a turd...

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.sbnation....-bad-really-bad

Sabres are not out of it!!! OK, I am delusional a little bit, but the current best team with most points in the Eastern Conference would not make the playoffs in the Western Conference!!

Gotta look @ games in hand... Sabres are done... They have played the most games in the league! :nana:

Gotta look @ games in hand... Sabres are done... They have played the most games in the league! :nana:

Admittedly, they would have to start winning at a much greater freqeuncy(2-2 in their last four!), but I don't think they are "out of it" just yet.

I am happy for the management change...but I have to confess, I am still a little puzzled by what their motives are right now, with LaFontaine and Nolan in place. I heard LaFontaine say the "plan is still the same" when he took over, but then they made a bunch of roster moves which make me feel they are, at least, trying not to finish with the worst record in the league. I thought they played pretty well in both Toronto games this past weekend, and though the score was 4-1, they were clearly beat (not outworked) by a far superior team in St Louis, last night.

They sent all the teenagers back to Rochester, or London, Ont, with the exception of Grigorenko (not sure why, but I think I heard the NHL said they could not send him down...maybe somebody knows?), and seem intent on getting a better look at some "older" youngsters like McNabb and Adam...guys who, for whatever reason, flashed some talent, but seemed to fall out of favor with Ruff and Rolston...good move, as far as I am concerned. I might have kept Ristolainen up, because I thought he was the most solid of the teeny-boppers so far...but what do I know? Scratch that, the only thing I know, for me, the team has become a lot more interesting, even if they do, ultimately, bottom out.

Anyone get the impression Ted Nolan's had a sit down with Tyler Myers and told him we are going to go back to when you 1st began playing in the NHL,

back to that explosive, to hot to handle, big bodied player we need you to be.

Even in a 4-1 loss I could see a huge difference/improvement in our Buffalo Sabre Hockey team.

dog loves him some Teddy Nolan :thumbsup:

Anyone get the impression Ted Nolan's had a sit down with Tyler Myers and told him we are going to go back to when you 1st began playing in the NHL,

back to that explosive, to hot to handle, big bodied player we need you to be.

Even in a 4-1 loss I could see a huge difference/improvement in our Buffalo Sabre Hockey team.

dog loves him some Teddy Nolan :thumbsup:

Yes! Myers looks so much better in just 4 games... I know it is cliche, but so far, Nolan's team, as a whole, works so much harder than what we have seen the last two years or so...I think that is all most want...to see some effort. I realize they aren't winning a cup any time soon...hell, maybe not even making the playoffs for a year or two...but just don't give me a lazy, apathetic hockey team, and expect to keep my interest for 8 months. I have been enjoying Sabres hockey so much more this past week...I was one of those who never believed Darcy would be fired, so I was in the camp of those thinking the Sabres should try to trade Myers, before he had absolutely no value any more...now I have a little more faith.

btw- did anyone catch the Sabres/Leafs game this past Saturday night, watching the Hockey Night in Canada feed? The color guy (sorry I can't remember who it was) made an interesting observation, while noting the "new energy" that Nolan seems to have brought to the Sabres...he said "it makes a big difference when you have a coach who doesn't hate his hockey team...guys can feel that, and it reflects in their play". I am thinking (assuming) he was talking about Rolston, but just found those to be out of the ordinary, and rather strong words, especially from somebody who wouldn't follow the Sabres on a nightly basis..did Rolston "hate" his Sabres squad?

Edited by Buftex

Admittedly, they would have to start winning at a much greater freqeuncy(2-2 in their last four!), but I don't think they are "out of it" just yet.

I am happy for the management change...but I have to confess, I am still a little puzzled by what their motives are right now, with LaFontaine and Nolan in place. I heard LaFontaine say the "plan is still the same" when he took over, but then they made a bunch of roster moves which make me feel they are, at least, trying not to finish with the worst record in the league. I thought they played pretty well in both Toronto games this past weekend, and though the score was 4-1, they were clearly beat (not outworked) by a far superior team in St Louis, last night.

They sent all the teenagers back to Rochester, or London, Ont, with the exception of Grigorenko (not sure why, but I think I heard the NHL said they could not send him down...maybe somebody knows?), and seem intent on getting a better look at some "older" youngsters like McNabb and Adam...guys who, for whatever reason, flashed some talent, but seemed to fall out of favor with Ruff and Rolston...good move, as far as I am concerned. I might have kept Ristolainen up, because I thought he was the most solid of the teeny-boppers so far...but what do I know? Scratch that, the only thing I know, for me, the team has become a lot more interesting, even if they do, ultimately, bottom out.

They were able to send Grigerenko down to Rochester by calling it some kind of "conditioning" thing. Schopp was laughing how Nolan sounded like somebody trying to get a kid out of school at his press conference "He's had the flu. I've had the flu. It's going around."..............I think he gets two weeks of this, and then they have to decide juniors or Sabres. I have no idea why and what the rules are.

They were able to send Grigerenko down to Rochester by calling it some kind of "conditioning" thing. Schopp was laughing how Nolan sounded like somebody trying to get a kid out of school at his press conference "He's had the flu. I've had the flu. It's going around."..............I think he gets two weeks of this, and then they have to decide juniors or Sabres. I have no idea why and what the rules are.

Wow. To the juniors? So, he can't go to Rochester? I am not doubting you, I guess I really don't understand these rules at all. To me, that almost makes it so they have to keep him in Buffalo, whether they want to or not. I know, occaisionally, you get an older vet who goes to Rochester to rehab from an injury (like they do in baseball)...but didn't the Sabres once send Craig Rivet to Rochester (or was it Portland then?) during his 15th season or so, in the NHL? I am guessing Grigorenko doesn't have more than 50 games in Buffalo under his belt.

Edited by Buftex

Yeah, I could be wrong! LOL.............But, that's how I heard it. I haven't looked into any of it.........But, I would have the same questions as you. I have no idea why he couldn't just play in Rochester...........Another guess from just listening without reading up on it - it seems like you can only send two down to the AHL at a time...........So, they seemed to get an extra on out of this "conditioning" loophole.

I'm not standing by anything I say here! (I usually am quite sure of what I'm saying but not with this one)

Yeah, I could be wrong! LOL.............But, that's how I heard it. I haven't looked into any of it.........But, I would have the same questions as you. I have no idea why he couldn't just play in Rochester...........Another guess from just listening without reading up on it - it seems like you can only send two down to the AHL at a time...........So, they seemed to get an extra on out of this "conditioning" loophole.

I'm not standing by anything I say here! (I usually am quite sure of what I'm saying but not with this one)

Understood...I am too lazy to look it all up...would prefer to just talk out of my ass until it makes some sense I can live with! :lol:

I guess making it a two player minimum makes sense to a degree...you wouldn't want a good team, say the Sharks, once they had a playoff spot sewn up, sending half their starters down to their farm team, to enhnace their playoff chances as well...so I get that...but Grigorenko is hardly an established star (or even an established player) in the NHL...he has already dominated the juniour leagues...he needs something in-between...

Yes! Myers looks so much better in just 4 games... I know it is cliche, but so far, Nolan's team, as a whole, works so much harder than what we have seen the last two years or so...I think that is all most want...to see some effort. I realize they aren't winning a cup any time soon...hell, maybe not even making the playoffs for a year or two...but just don't give me a lazy, apathetic hockey team, and expect to keep my interest for 8 months. I have been enjoying Sabres hockey so much more this past week...I was one of those who never believed Darcy would be fired, so I was in the camp of those thinking the Sabres should try to trade Myers, before he had absolutely no value any more...now I have a little more faith.

btw- did anyone catch the Sabres/Leafs game this past Saturday night, watching the Hockey Night in Canada feed? The color guy (sorry I can't remember who it was) made an interesting observation, while noting the "new energy" that Nolan seems to have brought to the Sabres...he said "it makes a big difference when you have a coach who doesn't hate his hockey team...guys can feel that, and it reflects in their play". I am thinking (assuming) he was talking about Rolston, but just found those to be out of the ordinary, and rather strong words, especially from somebody who wouldn't follow the Sabres on a nightly basis..did Rolston "hate" his Sabres squad?

It was probably more to do with Rolston hating the way the team was playing and he may have ended up alienating the players in my opinion.

So no, I don't think Roland actually hated the Sabres, not in my opinion anyway.

Note: The comment could have as much to do with the Ted Nolan being a players coach. Nolan brings an excitement and fire to the game of hockey players feed on.

Edited by dog14787

No, you can't send any CHL player down the the AHL while their season is ongoing. They can be in either the CHL (WHL, OHL, or QMJHL) or the NHL and that's it. Once a player is in the CHL, they cannot return to the NHL until their season is done, unless it is an emergency call up (I don't know if these actually exist anymore, but they used to). Years back Marty Biron made his Sabres debut on an injury call up.

This rule is in place so that the junior leagues don't get raided of all their talent. Without it, every drafted player would wind up in the AHL right away and the junior league talent would be heavily diluted.

I assume the rule you're hearing about a two player limit is that the junior leagues only allow their teams to carry at most 2 non-North American players at any time. This is being mentioned because Quebec, the junior team that has his rights, already has two non-NA players on their roster.

Yeah, I read that in today's paper. The NHL has an agreement with the CHL that anybody who is still eligible for juniors can't play in the AHL. The Sabres tried this conditioning loophole, but that got nixed by the NHL.

It also mentioned the two N/A players on one team is the limit rule..........That might have been what I heard on the radio when I was also trying to work, but it did sound to me like they were limited in how many they could send down to Rochester at one time.