Props to Nate Hackett

peterpan

Finally a good game plan from our OC. The first 3 weeks we were in the shotgun all day, and could not establish a running game with those stupid inside handoffs.

Well we finally made the switch. Putting EJ under center really allowed up to establish a running game against a pretty good front. Our usually outplayed OL got some good push and took the fight to the D, which they weren't doing from the shotgun.

The running game gave EJ lots of great opportunities out of play action. Some of the throws were under thrown, but he was clearly more confident in this scheme rather than the all-day-long shotgun. He looked like a totally different QB, it was noticeable in his throws.

Now, this has happened before with the Bills. We go a couple games wondering why they aren't running or using play action or doing this or that, only to have them finally do it and it works great!!! But then? THEY REVERT BACK TO WHAT DOESNT WORK!!!

N. Hackett: Please re use this type of glam plan the rest of your career in Buffalo :-)

PS, Also tell EJ that it is OK to overthrow long balls, but not OK to under throw them.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally a good game plan from our OC. The first 3 weeks we were in the shotgun all day, and could not establish a running game with those stupid inside handoffs.

Well we finally made the switch. Putting EJ under center really allowed up to establish a running game against a pretty good front. Our usually outplayed OL got some good push and took the fight to the D, which they weren't doing from the shotgun.

The running game gave EJ lots of great opportunities out of play action. Some of the throws were under thrown, but he was clearly more confident in this scheme rather than the all-day-long shotgun. He looked like a totally different QB, it was noticeable in his throws.

Now, this has happened before with the Bills. We go a couple games wondering why they aren't running or using play action or doing this or that, only to have them finally do it and it works great!!! But then? THEY REVERT BACK TO WHAT DOESNT WORK!!!

N. Hackett: Please re use this type of glam plan the rest of your career in Buffalo :-)

PS, Also tell EJ that it is OK to overthrow long balls, but not OK to under throw them.

They need to discuss their offense when they have the lead with 3 minutes left. Because I was baffled with the lack of first down try.

Can you explain this or is this really going to be your argument?

Pretty sure it's a statement and not an argument. Pettine has been stellar and Hackett has been crap. True story. Hackett was better today, finally scraping the the shotgun run 90% of the time.

That fake EJ did, pretending to hand off and then turned around to throw to Chandler in the endzone was a thing of beauty. Too bad Chandler tripped over his own feet or that would have been a TD.

Lee Smith, but yes.

I call Hackett won't get "credit" for. Or the ensuing "touchdown" that was called back because of a split second bobble.

They let EJ run more which was good. Just a guess but I think EJ audibled out of a pass on first down on their last drive. I wanted to see play action there. He definatley changed the play but it could have been a different run he changed out of. The Lee Smith fall down play was so sweet. Again why is Lee Smith on this team?

I have hopes for Hackett. Everyone that know him says he is smart with a bright future. I applaud the gameplan this week. The offense played a very physical brand of football today. That said, Hackett makes some really frustrating calls during the course of the game. The inept 3-and-out series to begin the 2nd half is a perfect example. He needs to do a better job of devising a sequence of plays that helps to get the offense in rythm. Remember, the coaching staff is itself very young. Perhaps, as Manuel gains experience, he and Hackett will work together to better come up with a better collection (and selection) of plays.

Who knows how much of the first 3 games was limited playbook, limited production from the team, or just bad play calling. I suspect that the playbook has been very limited due to EJ's knee, lack of preseason time, and the new coaching staff. The next two games will be telling with the short week for the Browns and then extra prep time for the Bengals.

Who knows how much of the first 3 games was limited playbook, limited production from the team, or just bad play calling. I suspect that the playbook has been very limited due to EJ's knee, lack of preseason time, and the new coaching staff. The next two games will be telling with the short week for the Browns and then extra prep time for the Bengals.

You're right, it's hard to say. To me, it seems pretty clear they did not want EJ running in the first three games. In the read-option plays he handed it off virtually every time. This game, he ran half the time and was very effective.

You're right, it's hard to say. To me, it seems pretty clear they did not want EJ running in the first three games. In the read-option plays he handed it off virtually every time. This game, he ran half the time and was very effective.

My only real question now is how soon did they rush EJ back? If you take today's game, minus the ridiculous under throws, and call him 100%, he was probably at 50-60% for the first couple of weeks. By the way, he took some nasty shots today and got up. I guess we won't be able to complain about his toughness till he wears a glove in November.

I like that his play calling/gameplan was better than last week, but he still has a knack for poor playcalling at the most inopportune times. I am more frustrated with Nate than with any other part of the team, but I am trying to remain positive, and I hope that he eventually becomes capable. He is young, and this game suggests that he may be learning. I hope to see the trend continue (except the trend of horrible 3rd down calls/much of the second half).

I am happy following this win. I feel like saying this because I rarely make a negative post, and the tone of my statements above may be interpreted as such.