Aaron Williams is a baller

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So we're allowed to actually like Aaron Williams this year? I thought he was "garbage" and "not deserving of an NFL roster spot"? Wasn't that what you guys determined last year?

Whatever. Trying to give him credit for his work so far this year. Did any of you feel dread when the ball was being thrown his way and he was in coverage? I did not, and it felt great.

I think everyone agreed that he had talent. The problem was always that he made dumb calls. Maybe some discipline helped.

I agree, to be in the NFL you have to be talented, that's an understatement. I was pointing out that we might have a multipurpose DB on our hands and that can only mean good things for the defense.

What was your opinion of Williams' play last year? How do you think that Rogers has played so far this year?

I thought his technique was poor, and that he wasn't keeping his hips low enough out of the break. I thought he looked young, but coachable.

I think that Rogers is a decent 4th option, and plays with good physicality, but is a bit undersized. I thought he got beat badly last week, but came up big shutting down a much bigger WR this week.

He was garbage last year. Unless you think he was good. But you were wrong.

This is an empty statement, very light on analysis yet very heavy on opinion. It doesn't speak to why he didn't play well last year, but has improved this year. Last year guys like you (maybe even including you) wanted him cut. You wanted him cut because you don't know how to properly evaluate what you're watching. Terrible players don't suddenly become studs overnight. Young players with lots of raw talent who accept coaching get better with time.

Aaron Williams had a huge game and so did the entire secondary, despite the yardage given up.

The Ravens game plan looked to be throw it, and throw it deep.

Good pressure and some blitz packages helped too .. something we did not see against the Jets.

Edited by Bob in STL

I thought his technique was poor, and that he wasn't keeping his hips low enough out of the break. I thought he looked young, but coachable.

I think that Rogers is a decent 4th option, and plays with good physicality, but is a bit undersized. I thought he got beat badly last week, but came up big shutting down a much bigger WR this week.

This is an empty statement, very light on analysis yet very heavy on opinion. It doesn't speak to why he didn't play well last year, but has improved this year. Last year guys like you (maybe even including you) wanted him cut. You wanted him cut because you don't know how to properly evaluate what you're watching. Terrible players don't suddenly become studs overnight. Young players with lots of raw talent who accept coaching get better with time.

I said he sucked last year because he got beat, a lot. That's a fact. He looked a million times better this year. I have never called for a player to be cut, I was just critical of his play. He was picked on every game he played and he deserved the criticism.

I thought you were trying to say people who said he sucked were wrong, not the overreactionaries. Because I did say he sucked, and he did. My bad.

......Terrible players don't suddenly become studs overnight. Young players with lots of raw talent who accept coaching get better with time.

I'd say "might" get better with time.....but you are right IMO. The point being that calling to cut 2nd year players with potential because they have yet to show that they are solid is unwise and premature.

I said he sucked last year because he got beat, a lot. That's a fact. He looked a million times better this year. I have never called for a player to be cut, I was just critical of his play. He was picked on every game he played and he deserved the criticism.

I thought you were trying to say people who said he sucked were wrong, not the overreactionaries. Because I did say he sucked, and he did. My bad.

Apology accepted. And yes, Williams did get beat badly last year. But while his play was poor, it wasn't because he was a bad player. He was a very talented player with poor technique.

I'd say "might" get better with time.....but you are right IMO. The point being that calling to cut 2nd year players with potential because they have yet to show that they are solid is unwise and premature.

This

Fixed.

Catavolos was garbage. He's gone. Our DBs improved. True story.

and this are both fair points.

Apology accepted. And yes, Williams did get beat badly last year. But while his play was poor, it wasn't because he was a bad player. He was a very talented player with poor technique.

Poor play = poor player/poor coaching until proven otherwise, to me personally. I've seen too many talented players never elevate their game. But I can agree he improved his technique, and I loved the fact he kept with Smith to stop the long TD and save 4 points.

Aaron Williams may just be exhibit A about why Pettrine may very well have been the biggest acqusition that the Bills mad in the off-season. The young man definitely struggled in his first 2 years with the poor DCs that the Bills had on staff. He was all heart today. Heck, even the penalty was a "good" play. The receiver wasn't his man -- he came all the way across the field to make the lunging tackle.

Aaron Williams may just be exhibit A about why Pettrine may very well have been the biggest acqusition that the Bills mad in the off-season. The young man definitely struggled in his first 2 years with the poor DCs that the Bills had on staff. He was all heart today. Heck, even the penalty was a "good" play. The receiver wasn't his man -- he came all the way across the field to make the lunging tackle.

This feels very much like deja vu as it was only 2 weeks ago that the same things were being said about McKelvin. It's a bit great that two of our mediocre secondary have become stud-like.

Poor play = poor player/poor coaching until proven otherwise, to me personally. I've seen too many talented players never elevate their game. But I can agree he improved his technique, and I loved the fact he kept with Smith to stop the long TD and save 4 points.

Poor play often means young player lacking either experience, quality coaching, or both.

Most players, when drafted, especially day 2 or later, have raw ability. From that point it's a matter of how well they respond to coaching, and what kind of football intelligence they have.