• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have some favorites:

Peter Warick

TJ Housh

Plax Burress (I say Hines is the #1)

Anybody catch the north-south game? Damn Jerome Mathis looks good!!!

I dont think this is a NEED but rather a would-be-nice. How sweet would it be to have a 2000 Rams like WR corp?

Evans/Moulds/Burress WOWWWWWW!!!!!!!

207363[/snapback]

So you think they are lining up for the opportunity to play for the Bills to catch ducks from DB or JP???

I have some favorites:

Peter Warick

TJ Housh

I dont think this is a NEED but rather a would-be-nice. How sweet would it be to have a 2000 Rams like WR corp?

207363[/snapback]

we need Randy Moss.

No lesser talent will do.

I have some favorites:

Peter Warick

TJ Housh

207363[/snapback]

Hoping for these folks to be our third WR seems a little greedy to me, but it would be nice...

I have some favorites:

Peter Warick

TJ Housh

207363[/snapback]

Personally I think they should just keep Reed if they are getting rid of DB. It is obvious that DB throws an uncatchable ball. That is why there are so many drops by Reed and Moulds. Still not a believer. Think about all the possible interceptions which were dropped. :devil:

I have some favorites:

Peter Warick

TJ Housh

207363[/snapback]

Hate to reply to myself but I have a new guy to watch, Kevin Johnson is voiding his final year of his contract to hit the market. Really he is better suited to be a #2 which isnt a slot up for grabs, but maybe for the right price he could be coaxed to play #3 for us.

The only WR you mentioned that would actually qualify as a 3rd WR is Peter Warrick.  The rest are outrageous and would never settle for a third WR spot anywhere in the NFL.

I'd keep an eye on Dane Looker myself...he'll come cheap, and is very productive when he has his chances.  Alex Bannister from Seattle is interesting as well...Holmgren kept him out of the WR corps, despite Bannister's demand that he get some playing time...Bannister has great size (6'5 I believe) and had soft hands in college.  Also made the Pro Bowl last year as the NFC Special Teams player.  The Bills brought him in as a free agent visiter last year when he was a RFA.  Might be worth a look.

240059[/snapback]

Bannister was a guy many on this board were calling for us to sign last offseason. Though I have questions about him this offseason, as if he was as good as some make him out to be my question would be why didn't Holmgren give him a chance last season before trading for Jerry Rice? Not to mention he hasn't been able to supplant Bobby Engram as the team's 3rd WR. I think people are too hard on Reed for his play last season, let's forget he was hurt for almost half the season. That's a BIG reason that Evans' numbers were so good. This year should be Reed (and to a lesser extend Aiken's) make or break year to see if either one will be anything more then a depth WR yet let's also remember there's only so many balls to go around so if Reed's our 3rd WR we should expect 30-50 catches and maybe 500-650 yards.

Bannister was a guy many on this board were calling for us to sign last offseason. Though I have questions about him this offseason, as if he was as good as some make him out to be my question would be why didn't Holmgren give him a chance last season before trading for Jerry Rice? Not to mention he hasn't been able to supplant Bobby Engram as the team's 3rd WR. I think people are too hard on Reed for his play last season, let's forget he was hurt for most of the season, it's not like he missed almost half the season. This year should be Reed (and to a lesser extend Aiken's) make or break year to see if either one will be anything more then a depth WR.

240570[/snapback]

I forgot about the Bannister bandwagon. :devil:

Bannister was a guy many on this board were calling for us to sign last offseason. Though I have questions about him this offseason, as if he was as good as some make him out to be my question would be why didn't Holmgren give him a chance last season before trading for Jerry Rice? Not to mention he hasn't been able to supplant Bobby Engram as the team's 3rd WR. I think people are too hard on Reed for his play last season, let's forget he was hurt for almost half the season. That's a BIG reason that Evans' numbers were so good. This year should be Reed (and to a lesser extend Aiken's) make or break year to see if either one will be anything more then a depth WR yet let's also remember there's only so many balls to go around so if Reed's our 3rd WR we should expect 30-50 catches and maybe 500-650 yards.

240570[/snapback]

I'd still take a chance on Bannister, perhaps he just isnt in the right system? And if you sign him for cheap (I doubt there will be a huge surge of Bannister-suitors in the NFL this offseason) what have you lost? A few bucks. What have you gained? Potentially a starting 3rd WR at best and, at worst, a Pro Bowl special teams player.

Hate to reply to myself but I have a new guy to watch, Kevin Johnson is voiding his final year of his contract to hit the market. Really he is better suited to be a #2 which isnt a slot up for grabs, but maybe for the right price he could be coaxed to play #3 for us.

240528[/snapback]

Honestly I think your looking at this backwards. Talented FA wide receivers change teams to earn promotions. #4s go where they will get playing time, #3's try to prove that they can be both hands and speed at #2, and #2 guys try to show that they have earned there stripes in single coverage and are talented enough to be productive at the #1 spot where they will often see double teams and be counted on to make the biggest plays. That doesn't even factor into the money, which goes up...not down, unless the player is well past his prime.

Teams that have outstanding #3 receivers fall into one of three categories: 1) A #2 guy goes to a proven, successful team with a veteran QB that is on the verge of a championship, or 2) a rookie develops into a player who goes beyond his expectations or 3) you have a role player type career hands guy in the mold of Wayne Chrebet or Bill Schroeder.

We've almost got scenario number one working for us except for the fact that Losman will most likely be our starting QB next year. With an unproven and inexperienced QB leading us, a real-deal #2 guy will not want to be demoted to playing #3 in Buffalo.

I know that YOU love JP, but when money and a career are on the line, how many receivers do you honestly think are going to take a demotion?

I'd still take a chance on Bannister, perhaps he just isnt in the right system?  And if you sign him for cheap (I doubt there will be a huge surge of Bannister-suitors in the NFL this offseason) what have you lost?  A few bucks.  What have you gained?  Potentially a starting 3rd WR at best and, at worst, a Pro Bowl special teams player.

240580[/snapback]

I'd give him a chance but let's be realistic again about expectations. As Bannister made the Pro Bowl because of his abilities as a coverage player and has accumulated 9 catches in 4 seasons, sounds more like a 4th or 5th WR to me.