Bills O in week 2

BillsInMaine

The best weapon against an overly aggressive front 4 is the screen play. Let them get by your O-line without making it too obvious that you're letting them by you, and sneak your RB in behind them. It keeps defenses honest, takes advantage of athletic quarterbacks, and most importantly gets CJ Spiller in space. I don't care how good Keuchly is, if its just him and CJ in the open field he's gonna get a handful of air.

Say what you want about Chan Gailey but he was the master at it. Hackett needs to pay more attention to how it was run last year, we have a lot of the same guys still on the offense. Screens are tricky to do the right way, it takes a solid effort from every man on the field, but they are incredibly effective and I hope to see more of them in the games ahead.

Overall i thought Hackett called a poor game in the opener and hope he redeems himself on Sunday. We need this win and we aren't gonna get it with 14 points

EJ said they plan on taking shots down the field this game in his conference call...

And yes I agree, would have loved to see Gailey's offense with EJ instead of Fitz...he knew how to get players open and design plays...

That being said, everything else was a disaster with him, lol

Edited by matter2003

In all fairness in regards to play calling, you guys have listed a number of good ideas, but EJ is still a rookie with very few preseason reps under his belt. I expect a more diverse attack, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is a minor adjustment to the game plan from last week either. I sense that protecting EJ from himself is part of the equation at the moment as they help him build confidence and establish a down hill running identity at the same time, while letting the rest of the team adjust to the idea that they will live and die by the no-huddle attack.

The best weapon against an overly aggressive front 4 is the screen play. Let them get by your O-line without making it too obvious that you're letting them by you, and sneak your RB in behind them. It keeps defenses honest, takes advantage of athletic quarterbacks, and most importantly gets CJ Spiller in space. I don't care how good Keuchly is, if its just him and CJ in the open field he's gonna get a handful of air.

Say what you want about Chan Gailey but he was the master at it. Hackett needs to pay more attention to how it was run last year, we have a lot of the same guys still on the offense. Screens are tricky to do the right way, it takes a solid effort from every man on the field, but they are incredibly effective and I hope to see more of them in the games ahead.

Overall i thought Hackett called a poor game in the opener and hope he redeems himself on Sunday. We need this win and we aren't gonna get it with 14 points

My thoughts exactly. I hope that Bills would dust off last year playbook, because not everything about that team was a disaster. Many yards were gained off perfectly designed and executed screens. Didn't see much of those this year.

Hackett was very conservative on Sunday and let's hope he keeps learning fast, too.

In all fairness in regards to play calling, you guys have listed a number of good ideas, but EJ is still a rookie with very few preseason reps under his belt. I expect a more diverse attack, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is a minor adjustment to the game plan from last week either. I sense that protecting EJ from himself is part of the equation at the moment as they help him build confidence and establish a down hill running identity at the same time, while letting the rest of the team adjust to the idea that they will live and die by the no-huddle attack.

This.

I do hope that Hackett has a clock-control ball-control offense somewhere inside him though. Consistent winners need one on occasion. Even Green Bay has been known to ground-n-pound when nothing else worked.

i don't know that it's them being overly aggressive. i've heard that said, but rivera has a philosophy that he actually picked up from lovie smith in chicago and has used elsewhere that is 'penetrate first, read second' in which the goal is to just get vertical and get throught he OL as quick as possible and then read what the O is trying to do. with that, they are coached to play the run on the way to the QB so they are expecting the RB to be involved and are trained to attack it. you saw that with the way they handled lynch last week.

Will Hacket and the Bills stick with the heavy run game or open it up a little bit? The panthers have a stout D line, passing may be out better option. Personally I hope they open the game up for EJ a little more. I'm anxious to see this kid really play.

Better try to open it up because the Panther front 7 is as good as any in the NFL. Lynch was completely shut down last week.

Also agree.

Yeah they have to open up the offense a little more even if EJ is a rookie. The Play calling against the Pats was terrible. It really felt like Chan Gailey was still calling the offensive plays last week. The game plan last week has to rank right up there with Gailey's bad calls. :thumbdown: Open up the offense and let EJ show us what he's got.

they will open it up/a little more next week. E.J's confidence is on the rise. Imagine throwing the bus at him and making him feel like Geno did after the fourth quarter Thursday night. I want the wins but I also want a slid QB. making him confident in himself and not throwing too much at him is how you do that.

they will open it up/a little more next week. E.J's confidence is on the rise. Imagine throwing the bus at him and making him feel like Geno did after the fourth quarter Thursday night. I want the wins but I also want a slid QB. making him confident in himself and not throwing too much at him is how you do that.

Depends on the player, IMO. Cam didn't have training camp due to the lockout but he had enough confidence and play book knowledge to throw for 400+ yards in his first two career games.

I think you have to push the limits to really gauge where he is and what his comfort level is.

I want the wins but I also want a solid QB. making him confident in himself and not throwing too much at him is how you do that.

Depends on the player, IMO. Cam didn't have training camp due to the lockout but he had enough confidence and play book knowledge to throw for 400+ yards in his first two career games.

I think you have to push the limits to really gauge where he is and what his comfort level is.

Yes, it depends on the player.

It's never a "one size fits all" thing.