The Affordable Care Act is Coming Home to Roost

Woops. Quinnipiac has him all the way down to 38%...lowest at Q ever.

But I'm sure it'll be better soon. :lol:

President Obama’s job approval among American voters has dropped to negative territory with just 38 percent voicing their approval versus the 58 who says they disapprove, according to a national poll released Tuesday by the independent Quinnipiac University. That is one percent less than the 39% who said they approved of him in last month’s poll. The majority of the 2,692 registered voters the University in early December said that the president is not honest and trustworthy.

When asked, “Do you approve or disapprove of the way Barack Obama is handling his job as President?,” respondents gave Obama lackluster ratings even in some of his key demographics: just 41 percent of voters 18 to 29 years old and 50 percent of Hispanics said they approved of the job he was doing. On the upside, however, 76 percent of Democrats and 85 percent of black voters polled said they approved of Obama.

<snip>

“A rousing chorus of Bah! Humbug! for President Barack Obama as American voters head into the holidays with little charitable to say about the president,” said Tim Malloy, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By Pew's own poll, Obama's "reversed" a "six month trend" of lower approval ratings that's only a "six month trend" if you ignore the simple fact that his job approval rating has been trending steadily downwards since 2009.

But I'm sure this is the month that all turns around, and you're in no way grasping at straws.

Affordable care is an imperfect solution but far superior to what was the status quo. Private market delivery of health insurance is rife with market failures that's why govt's need to step in. Same reason Govts regulate natural monopolies or invest in public goods like national defence. In healthcare the private market is unable to deliver the optimal amount health insurance people want to consume.

Obamacare will have and already has had significant hiccups with implementation but it's creation is one of the best things to happen to America in a long time. WooHoo!

You Canadians are so full of schit.

Affordable care is an imperfect solution but far superior to what was the status quo. Private market delivery of health insurance is rife with market failures that's why govt's need to step in. Same reason Govts regulate natural monopolies or invest in public goods like national defence. In healthcare the private market is unable to deliver the optimal amount health insurance people want to consume.

Obamacare will have and already has had significant hiccups with implementation but it's creation is one of the best things to happen to America in a long time. WooHoo!

Submit that to the Huffington post. You might get published!

Enrollment "Soars" in November. LOL! Pretty easy to do when nearly NO ONE signed up in October. Isn't most of the new enrollment due to Medicaid?

http://www.usatoday....umbers/3960957/

One question I have is they need young, healthy folks to make this work, right? But most college age kids will stay on thier parents insurance until 26. The penalty for not having any insurance is what, 100 bucks, and that comes out of your tax refund check? Do I have this part correct? How does this help?

Edited by TheMadCap

Enrollment "Soars" in November. LOL! Pretty easy to do when nearly NO ONE signed up in October. Isn't most of the new enrollment due to Medicaid?

http://www.usatoday....umbers/3960957/

One question I have is they need young, healthy folks to make this work, right? But most college age kids will stay on thier parents insurance until 26. The penalty for not having any insurance is what, 100 bucks, and that comes out of your tax refund check? Do I have this part correct? How does this help?

I'd still like to know...how many people have actually signed up and paid for their coverage.

50 Percent of Uninsured Disapprove of Healthcare Law

The latest NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll (article here) finds President Obama’s healthcare law hurting him politically even among the group it was intended to to help. 50 percent of those without insurance now say they think the law was a bad idea, up from 34 percent in September.

That’s not entirely surprising. In Durham last month with Obamacare navigators, I sensed not elation at the law’s passage but a general sense of confusion that may help to explain that finding. “I have to tell people all the time, ‘It’s the Affordable Care Act, not the free health care act,’” one navigator told me. The same navigator said the consumers who come to him are largely unaware that they will have to pay a penalty if they choose not to purchase insurance. Frustrations with the website aside, these sorts of things may explain the dissatisfaction expressed in the poll.

Duke survey: Firms to hire less, shift more jobs to part-time due to healthcare law

“I doubt the advocates of this legislation would have foretold the negative impact on employment,” said Campbell Harvey, a professor of finance at Duke's Fuqua School of Business. “The impact on the real economy is startling. Nearly one-third of firms may either terminate employees or hire fewer people in the future as a direct result of ACA.”

Hilarious: Clueless Sebelius Demands Investigation Into Screwed-Up ObamaCare Website.

ACA Fail Fractal: The Deeper You Get, The More Dysfunction You See.

Higher deductibles can, in certain contexts, be useful for introducing some price sensitivity into the system. But that depends on how people go about dealing with them. There are two deep-rooted problems with what remains in many ways an excellent health care system overall: it is too expensive, and not enough people have enough access to it. The cheaper health care becomes, the easier it is to expand access. In a cheaper system, fewer people need subsidies and the subsidies they do need are smaller. Without fixing costs, on the other hand, more and more people, not to mention the government, struggle to pay for our system, and the resources for expanding access shrink as the cost of do so grows.

Unfortunately, the Affordable Care Act puts most of its effort on the wrong end of the problem: access rather than price

That’s one reason the rollout has been going so poorly and in some respects will get worse. Because not much effort was put into cost control, many insurers have taken the one easy step available to them to limit rate shock: restricting provider networks. As a result, people are unexpectedly losing access to doctors they have seen for years.

Unexpectedly!

Hilarious: Clueless Sebelius Demands Investigation Into Screwed-Up ObamaCare Website.

ACA Fail Fractal: The Deeper You Get, The More Dysfunction You See.

Higher deductibles can, in certain contexts, be useful for introducing some price sensitivity into the system. But that depends on how people go about dealing with them. There are two deep-rooted problems with what remains in many ways an excellent health care system overall: it is too expensive, and not enough people have enough access to it. The cheaper health care becomes, the easier it is to expand access. In a cheaper system, fewer people need subsidies and the subsidies they do need are smaller. Without fixing costs, on the other hand, more and more people, not to mention the government, struggle to pay for our system, and the resources for expanding access shrink as the cost of do so grows.

Unfortunately, the Affordable Care Act puts most of its effort on the wrong end of the problem: access rather than price

That’s one reason the rollout has been going so poorly and in some respects will get worse. Because not much effort was put into cost control, many insurers have taken the one easy step available to them to limit rate shock: restricting provider networks. As a result, people are unexpectedly losing access to doctors they have seen for years.

Unexpectedly!

Wait, I thought you could keep your doctor if you liked them...?

This is what's hilarious:

"Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said in a blog post early Wednesday that she is asking the department’s inspector general to investigate the contracting process, management, performance and payment issues that may have contributed to the flawed launch of HealthCare.gov."

So Kathleen Succubus is going to investigate one of Michelle's old Princeton college chum's firm for incompetence?

Hoooooooooooeeeeeeeeeeee! And you thought the scowl on her puss when Barak was getting jiggy with the white blonde B word at Mandela's funeral was harsh!

I can't wait to see how she reacts when Terri Townes-Whitley gets dragged through the mud.

tonitowneswhitleywithobamas1.jpg

Oh, its predictable: 8271baf9-72ad-4e43-a26f-a8055b7c4ba1.jpg

Affordable care is an imperfect solution but far superior to what was the status quo.

A...Conclusion? :lol: With absolutely 0 evidence to back it up, AND, a multitude of evidence that refutes it.

Buddy, Canada's health care system doesn't provide anywhere near the benefit that is proportional to its cost. It's doesn't even follow it's own regulatory standards. (Amazing what happens when the government tries to regulate...itself) You don't get what you pay for. Period. I thought that only evil private insurance companies were guilty of "taking money out of the system". Where the hell is the $ you spend going? Answer: you have no idea, and neither does the government.

That's why I got a call from Canada recently. Telling people what things actually cost, for real, not "based on accountant guesses", is one of our core competencies.

Oh that's right, I forgot. Private insurance is guilty...again. Oh yes, private insurance, for those rich executive types(or actually those with a union card) is taking money out of the system, because anybody with a brain would easily choose a job that has it, over one that doesn't.

Oh wait...isn't that the..."status quo". :o:lol: Canada and Britain have a 2 tier health care system now, one for those who can afford to pay for their own, while paying for others, and, one for the "underpeople".

I always get a laugh when I hear clowns like you talk about "social justice", but not realize that it is your very policies that are rapidly creating a permanent underclass. You are literally creating social injustice, by creating one class of "the free, if they pay for it" and the literal "government mule" class.

I prefer to think you aren't doing it intentionally, and that you're just a well-meaning unmitigated moron. But, I'm constantly confronted with evidence that this is about power for you, and not about grace.

Private market delivery of health insurance is rife with market failures that's why govt's need to step in. Same reason Govts regulate natural monopolies or invest in public goods like national defence. In healthcare the private market is unable to deliver the optimal amount health insurance people want to consume.

:lol: Yeah, nothing like Canada's health care system to show us all how it's done, right?

And, do you realize that the US government is proving you wrong, in real time? Yes, the above is literally being proven to be buffonery. Right now. As I write, this this is happening.

Are you Hippie Van Winkle? Been asleep since 1965? Just woke up? Still think that government is the answer to everything?

(Um, that answer is actually: 42. But, you wouldn't know that, because you were sleeping when the rest of us read that. Nevermind. Also, what's interesting about 42, the answer to everthing, and US politics? Weird huh?)

You write this, right after you write the above?

So...you are aware that the US government is currently engaged in countering your premise, or....aren't you?

It doesn't matter, to me. In either case, it's going to be funny, for me, watching you wriggle.

to DC Tom. Yes. There are list of goods that private markets don't provide efficiently due economic externalities, free riders, public goods, natural monopolies , information asymmetries etc. Health Care is one of them. The U.S. Army is another. municipal water supply and treatment, fire & police services.... the list goes on.

In some cases technology is enabling efficient private sector delivery goods that were previously thought the to be best delivered by the public sector. For instance some are argue that advances in GPS/Camera Technology allow for road infrastructure to be built by the private sector by enabling cheaper toll booth technology

"Thanks Obamacare!"

"Just in time for the Holidays. Nothing says downsizing quite like a fresh, warm helping of Obamacare. Pick some up, if you can, at your state's website, or on the national debacle, I mean, exchange."

Yes, let's all thank Obamacare, once again, for providing so much PPP ammo in such a relatively short period of time. Jimmy Carter was one thing. This is what we needed to kill off the "government knows best" position once and for all....or for at least another 30 years.

Quick response to OCinBuffalo, you're an ideologue. To impatient to spend time thinking through issues so you just resort to your visceral response. You type up a bunch mindless b.s. call it a day and pat yourself on the back.

America's health system before obamacare was seriously screwed up. Too much money going to administrative costs as opposed to treatment. Highest per-capita spending of any oecd country with some of the worst health outcomes. Im not saying Canada's system is not with out flaws, in fact i never mentioned Canada, you just through it in there as a strawman. So i will instead say this every health system in the developed world be it Germany, UK, Scandinavian countries was out performing the U.S. status quo. The U.S. the most advanced/wealthiest country in the world had a crackpot healthy system. .. nothing to a shame of, in fact im proud of America for taking steps to fix it

From 50 million uninsured, to job lock, to Cadillac plans because of favourable tax treatment. The system was broken. As I said obamacare implementation has had many hiccups but the system will work see Germany or Massachusetts as an example. The great thing is this theory is testable, in a couple years come the next presidential election we will see who was right and who was wrong when it comes to obamacare.

If I remember correctly you're the blowhard who spent all of 2012 ranting about skewed polls and how gallup's poll was dead on and we could expect a mitt romney presidency, despite every other poll or aggregation pointing towards an Obama victory. Well you were proved wrong on that one and I think you'll be wrong on Obamacare. Hopefully you'll be hanging around POLLS then and I can remind you of it.

If I remember correctly you're the blowhard who spent all of 2012 ranting about skewed polls and how gallup's poll was dead on and we could expect a mitt romney presidency, despite every other poll or aggregation pointing towards an Obama victory. Well you were proved wrong on that one and I think you'll be wrong on Obamacare. Hopefully you'll be hanging around POLLS then and I can remind you of it.

Every poll so far shows that Americans don't like the ACA.

Juking the ObamaCare Stats: HHS won't disclose the enrollment data that really matter.

Most of Washington seems to have bought the White House claim that the 36 federal exchanges are finally working, and glory, glory, hallelujah. But if that's really true, then what explains the ongoing secrecy and evasion?

On Wednesday the Health and Human Services Department continued its Victorian-era strip tease and allowed a glimpse into the Affordable Care Act's "enrollment" for November. Out of respect for a free press, reporters ought to boycott these releases because they're so selective that they reveal little about real enrollment. But we'll try to parse the data as best we can without the White House high gloss.

A charitable reading suggests that ObamaCare's net enrollment stands at about negative four million. That's the estimated four million to five and a half million people who had their individual health plans liquidated as ObamaCare-noncompliant—offset by the 364,682 who have signed up for a plan on a state or federal exchange and the 803,077 who have been found eligible to receive Medicaid.

HHS is boasting of enrollment for November that was four times as high as October, yet 62% of the total was in the state exchanges, some of which are marginally less prone to crashing than the federal version. Then again, 41 states posted sign-ups only in the three or four figures, including eight states that run their own exchanges. Oregon managed to scrape up 44 people. Among the 137,204 federal sign-ups, no state is reaching the critical mass necessary for stable insurance prices.

http://online.wsj.co...252481397105554

Please Pray for Me… I Am Losing My Insurance

by Jim Hoft

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2013/12/please-pray-for-me-i-am-losing-my-insurance/#!