Dwan Lives in Buffalo

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the obvious thing against Buffalo has always been weather. Not everyone is equipped to deal with the winters out of the gate. So that's a negative.

The thing we don't hear about, but I suspect is also at issue, is taxes. Were I a millionaire, I might choose a more tax-friendly state, particularly as an athlete that might be living on prior earnings from age 30 on up. We don't think about it, but if you earn $3MM on the Cowboys, you're probably bringing home more than if you're earning $3MM on the Bills. And then the rent is cheaper to boot. They say it's not about the money, but don't be fooled- it's about the money.

I like to think the PEOPLE themselves have always been well regarded, and I hope that reputation grows. Having lived in Buffalo and lived elsewhere as well, the people still stand out in my mind. It is a good place for family.

I think the obvious thing against Buffalo has always been weather. Not everyone is equipped to deal with the winters out of the gate. So that's a negative.

The thing we don't hear about, but I suspect is also at issue, is taxes. Were I a millionaire, I might choose a more tax-friendly state, particularly as an athlete that might be living on prior earnings from age 30 on up. We don't think about it, but if you earn $3MM on the Cowboys, you're probably bringing home more than if you're earning $3MM on the Bills. And then the rent is cheaper to boot. They say it's not about the money, but don't be fooled- it's about the money.

I like to think the PEOPLE themselves have always been well regarded, and I hope that reputation grows. Having lived in Buffalo and lived elsewhere as well, the people still stand out in my mind. It is a good place for family.

The tax thing has come up a lot, because the Bills are the only team in NYS.

Nonsense. Buffalo is a miserable, poor, decaying city. Nobody would ever want to live here.

. Not true only if you're living on the fruit belt section. Ever been to san diego (national city)?

WNY is a hard sell to anyone who has never been there...why would they want to go there? But once you are there, it has its' charms. I always thing about moving back, but I with a native Texas girl who thinks it is "freezing" outside if the temperture dips below 72 degrees....choices!

. My cuz who grew up in west seneca and finally came for a visit after forty years love the place. He now lives in Napa.

We are moving back to ROC after 7 years in NC. Schools are a big motivating factor. Family too.

. Where did you live?

Originally from Lakeview, live in Pittsburgh last 34 years, I have ext. family, lots, in B'lo. Been back w wife

And family many times, and she, form the Burgh, never fails to mention how nice the people in Buffalo

are. We get on an elevator at a local Hotel, and the delivery guy chats us up, everyone is quick with a hello

and smile, never fails. I am very proud of that city, and although it has a very lot to offer that outsiders just

don't realize, it is definitely the people that make that city shine.

No. Not @ all. What about making 3MM on the Bears? Did you ever here of the Craig Rivet Story when he got traded from SJ to BFLO? He asked his real estate agent what kinda house 7 million will get him... She laughed him of the phone and said: "Try 2." That is a 5 million dollar swing! Taxes aren't that much! Changed his mind right quick.

I pay just as much taxes in Illinois, if not more than NYS. Are athletes avoiding Chicago? Cook County sales tax is what? Almost 10%. I think it is the most in the nation. Move my house to the west and north of Chicago and my 150k house goes for double! And the taxes are high!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I agree, taxes are high, but cost of living is very good...

Housing is low, food prices are way lower than most places(was shocked at food prices when we visited some relatives in South Carolina)...

Right - the contracts aren't higher if you are drafted to the Jets or 49ers vs. Green Bay or the Bills. 1 mill buys a mansion in WNY or 1000 sq ft apt. in NJ or SF. Edited by YoloInTheBlo

There are a lot of positives and it is a great place to live if you:

1) Do not rely on the local economy and job market (all NFL players pass this one)

2) You can tolerate / enjoy the weather (many people really do after spending some time there)

Respectfully submitted from Sunny San Diego, since I fail on #1 and #2.

Grew up in the Albany area, moved to Buffalo for college (Go Bulls!) and now working in South Buffalo. It is true, it is hard to get used to at first. The grey, cold November days when it's 35 out and raining with 40 mph winds off the lake don't help matters. Walking (or riding the metro) down main st in downtown is downright depressing as well as driving down South Bailey. However after living here for the last 3 years. It has begun to grow on me. Allentown is tons of fun anytime. Elmwood is hopping day in and day out. Chippewa's fun to go to to boost moral. Canal side's great to catch a show and countless others. Also, it is exciting to see new projects coming in, Harbor center, new medical campus and new industry in South Buffalo. But what I have found that I like the most about Buffalo is the people. There is a warmness around the city that I can't quite explain. People will go that extra bit to help each other out. Everyone seems to know each other from somewhere. Sure Buffalo has it's faults, but it's home...and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Oh yea, the food's pretty good, too.

WNY does have it's positives but the negatives in my mind outweigh them. Mostly the cold, snow, brown and muddy snow as it melts, the grey ugly days and the taxes.

Yeah, but we got rid of you, so that's a positive!

Ever been to Chippewa on a weekend? Tons of hot slutty girls wanting to play hide the sausage with random guys...if you can't get laid there, you got issues, lol

My college friends loved coming up to Buffalo, even after college - because it was a great place to party..........Super underrated party city - who else is open till 4AM? Not many......I remember a girl at work complaining about Buffalo - "people all just want to party." I said yeah, that's why my friends love it.

Overrated party city - Boston!

There have been a lot of comments over the years here at TBD that FAs will not choose Buffalo because it's a cold-weather, small-market town without much to offer a young millionaire.

With those criticisms in mind, I think it's interesting that the former Bill, Dwan Edwards, chooses to keep his family and home in Buffalo:

Edwards rented a house in Charlotte for his family last season but decided in the offseason that with two school-age children and a third about to start school, Buffalo made more sense this year. He's renting a townhouse in Charlotte formerly occupied by former Panthers and Bills guard Geoff Hangartner and seeing the family when he can.

"I signed a four-year deal up there, so I assumed I was going to be there a little longer than two years," Edwards said. "We had a house in Baltimore that we sold, and we really like upstate New York. People are nice, and the kids love their school. They also love to snowboard. It's a great place for me and my family."

http://www.panthers....two-bills-drive

Very cool to hear.

My sister's boss is Marlon Kerner. He stuck around and people love him at work. Great guy by every account!

My college friends loved coming up to Buffalo, even after college - because it was a great place to party..........Super underrated party city - who else is open till 4AM? Not many......I remember a girl at work complaining about Buffalo - "people all just want to party." I said yeah, that's why my friends love it.

Overrated party city - Boston!

Yeah but wait until you and your friends all turn 25 and have to grow up.

Yeah but wait until you and your friends all turn 25 and have to grow up.

That happened a long time ago!

Yeah but you're stuck with my brother and he's a bigger !@#$. :D

Can't you entice to go out and live with you?!?

I agree, taxes are high, but cost of living is very good...

Housing is low, food prices are way lower than most places(was shocked at food prices when we visited some relatives in South Carolina)...

The high taxes pay for something, people forget that. I'm much more comfortable sending my kids to just about any suburban school district in NY vs. NC. And what I'd pay in private school tuition in NC is way MORE than the property taxes in WNY.

Edit: corrected more/less typo

Edited by jimmyo