Manuel's first TD pass was his call

Beerball

I listened to Murphy's show on the way back home yesterday. Woods was one of his guests. They talked about the TD yadda yadda yadda. What I found interesting is that Woods said the receiver in Manuel's helmet went out (or crowd noise was too loud) so he called the play that went for a TD. It was the exact same play that they had just run when Manuel hit Chandler down the seam. One play, two receivers, two very nice results.

My question is, knowing this, did Manuel freeze up and call the only play that came into his mind, or was it brilliance?

I listened to Murphy's show on the way back home yesterday. Woods was one of his guests. They talked about the TD yadda yadda yadda. What I found interesting is that Woods said the receiver in Manuel's helmet went out (or crowd noise was too loud) so he called the play that went for a TD. It was the exact same play that they had just run when Manuel hit Chandler down the seam. One play, two receivers, two very nice results.

My question is, knowing this, did Manuel freeze up and call the only play that came into his mind, or was it brilliance?

Knowing this board, there will be about equal parts taking both positions. ;)

Yes.

But seriously, why is it that it seems that Manuel's best plays of the game seem to come when his radio is out?

is this true? Or are you just messing with me?

I'm not kidding. I recall hearing this yesterday while listening to Murph's show yesterday morning and being even more impressed by EJ's performance on Sunday.

Break It Down: TD toss to Robert Woods shows EJ Manuel has knack for learning quickly: http://nfl.si.com/2013/09/09/ej-manuel-robert-woods-buffalo-bills-week-1/?sct=nfl_wr_a3

I'm not kidding. I recall hearing this yesterday while listening to Murph's show yesterday morning and being even more impressed by EJ's performance on Sunday.

Break It Down: TD toss to Robert Woods shows EJ Manuel has knack for learning quickly: http://nfl.si.com/20.../?sct=nfl_wr_a3

Thanks for linking that. They had been working Chandler in the middle of the field often in the first half and they fell asleep on Woods. It was obvious to me that EJ looked off the safety help behind Talib when the play occurred. This bodes well for the future.

GO BILLS!!!

Stevie said his TD was called by EJ too. It's in his presser from yesterday on bb.com (same one where he says his drop was harder than it looked).

Here's the link to Stevie's Presser yesterday where he states at about 5 minutes in that EJ called the play that resulted in his TD catch: http://www.buffalobi...0e-29deae297c27

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

In looking at the first camera shot in the article, there is NO WAY anybody is running out of that formation against that defense.

I want to see Hackett spread the defenses out more as well as give CJ some additional depth from time to time.

GO BILLS!!!

I think an OC's job should be to let his QB call as many plays as possible. Its definitely a help to have your coordinator up in the booth for an overhead view, but micromanaging the QB makes no sense if they show a knack for play calling.

Great job EJ. That was a lot to handle for a rookie in his first game. No sacks no picks and great poise out there.

I call bull ****. This was obviously another case of EJ going through his progressions too quickly and checking down to Woods.

I've read it here that all EJ did yesterday was checkdown.

Another unimpressive TD by our rookie QB in his first pro game.

I'm waiting for 'microscopes' to review the all-22 and get back to us. I'm sure he has a rational explanation as to why EJ found both Woods and Stevie too fast in his progressions.

GO BILLS!!!

Ok I Don't want to be a complete homer, but if this is true then the two single best passes EJ pulled off were the ones where he called the play himself. Of course we don't know what bad plays he might have called himself, but it would seem like there is some merit to looking into bringing back the k gun.

I call bull ****. This was obviously another case of EJ going through his progressions too quickly and checking down to Woods.

I've read it here that all EJ did yesterday was checkdown.

Another unimpressive TD by our rookie QB in his first pro game.

I'm waiting for 'microscopes' to review the all-22 and get back to us. I'm sure he has a rational explanation as to why EJ found both Woods and Stevie too fast in his progressions.

GO BILLS!!!

Being under the influence of the bowl smoking microscopes "outside the box" thinking is dangerous to rational real world reality. :lol:

I saw a ton of awesome QB play this weekend, starting with Peyton Manning, then Kaepernick, Rogers, Luck, and Vick did some nice things. But there was some really bad QB play too from established, SB winning QBs. Picks, checkdowns, fumbles, etc. etc. From Eli to Big Ben to Flacco. EJ had a very solid 1st game for a rookie. Only would have been better with a W, which is what he said too. The L is not on him, as has been discussed. He made the right throws and they were dropped. I think he will actually face a tougher defense this week against the Panthers and it won't get better against the Jets. Both D-lines will be nasty. I think that will be a good indication of how he progresses.

Edited by YoloInTheBlo

Ok I Don't want to be a complete homer, but if this is true then the two single best passes EJ pulled off were the ones where he called the play himself. Of course we don't know what bad plays he might have called himself, but it would seem like there is some merit to looking into bringing back the k gun.

I'm assuming (yeah, I know) that Hackett scripts the first 15-25 plays or so. That being the case, and knowing how NE defended Chandler earlier on in the middle, I gotta believe Hackett advised Manuel when he saw a certain look again to take his shot. This is good on many levels.

GO BILLS!!!