Maybe Norwood wasn't to blame back in SB XXV...

MaineMoxie

New study uses aerospace and mechanical engineering modeling to demonstrate the effect of the holder on field goal accuracy.

When I was at UB I majored in aerospace and mechanical engineering and took a class with Bill Rae where we analyzed the motion of how football's moved through the air (we focused on thrown balls). This is the first time I've seen anyone look at field goals.

It never should have come down to a last-second FG which was outside of the range of the Bills' kicker (he'd never made a kick over 45 yards on grass before). But yes, it was Reich's fault on that kick, and the rest of the team for putting themselves in that position. That was the one SB they should have won. The rest they faced better teams.

The order of blame is well understood...

1. Talley - worst game of a seriously overrated career

2. Wright - Smerlas today probably could have held the point of attack better

3. The rest of the defense not named Brice Smith - as mentioned above, overpursuit and missed tackles by the LB's and secondary

4. Levy - outcoached before and during the game

5. Norwood - he should not have been in that situation. If Thurman touches the ball 6-8 more times the Bills win by 10+

6. Kelly - Kept throwing in a game where Thurman could have run for 175. I know the playbook said if they keep their LB's in we should throw but it was obvious by the second quarter they were sitting on the crossing routes. The o-line was gashing them and the LB's were playing pass first. Any draw or counter and they were on their heels.

Edited by Dragonborn10

3. The rest of the defense not named Brice Smith - as mentioned above, overpursuit and missed tackles by the LB's and secondary

5. Norwood - he should not have been in that situation. If Thurman touches the ball 6-8 more times the Bills win by 10+

6. Kelly - Kept throwing in a game where Thurman could have run for 175. I know the playbook said if they keep their LB's in we should throw but it was obvious by the second quarter they were sitting on the crossing routes. The o-line was gashing them and the LB's were playing pass first. Any draw or counter and they were on their heels.

This is a good analysis of that game, except I don't think Talley was overrated.

The Giants actually own Scott Norwood's SB XXV jersey and put it on display in Metlife Stadium.

That was the one SB they should have won.

They could have won the 4th. Dallas was playing like absolute s**t and the Bills had the LEAD and MOMENTUM.

Then Thurman fumbled the ball after Leon Lett of Dallas barely touch the ball Thurman was carrying.

Then....you remember.

I actually have always held it against Frank Reich a bit that he didn't take more of a position of responsibility for the fact that the laces faced to the right on his hold.

You'd think with Reich supposedly being such a paragon of virtue that he'd have been a bit more accountable, if only to take some of the burden off Norwood.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I can't remember Reich ever commenting on the infamous kick.

Walt Corey was outcoached bad. Always thought he was the weak link on the coaching staff.

I actually have always held it against Frank Reich a bit that he didn't take more of a position of responsibility for the fact that the laces faced to the right on his hold.

You'd think with Reich supposedly being such a paragon of virtue that he'd have been a bit more accountable, if only to take some of the burden off Norwood.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I can't remember Reich ever commenting on the infamous kick.

Yes cause only people who are openly religious should be expected to tell the truth.