Pro Football Focus Breakdown of Patriots @ Bills

26CornerBlitz

https://www.profootb...-ne-buf-week-1/

Questions at Left Guard

The left guard position has been a hot-button issue throughout Bills camp given the departure of free agent Andy Levitre, and it wasn’t a good start to the post-Levitre era.

We’ve already mentioned some of LG Brown’s difficult day, as he finished at -7.8 and was just as poor as a run blocker (-4.9) as he was in pass protection (-3.2). Brown may have had the most difficult task on the Bills’ line, however, as he often found himself battling not only the Patriots’ best run defender in Wilfork, but also their best pass rusher in Jones. Not only did Wilfork control Brown in the running game, he also bull-rushed him for a pressure with 1:43 to go in the second quarter. Jones lined up on the inside, a new wrinkle for the Patriots, as he played defensive right tackle (on a four-man line) seven times on Sunday after doing so only three times all of last season. He beat Brown for a hit and two hurries in his limited time, going to his outside shoulder each time. It looks like the Levitre whispers will continue for at least another week in Buffalo.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Any links to how Levitre graded out yesterday when Chris Johnson was blazing his way to 2.7 yards per carry?

Are we going to have to suffer these threads EVERY time our LG gets stuffed in the run game or gives up a sack?

Are we going to have to suffer these threads EVERY time Chris Johnson busts a long run and plays great? Like he didn't do just that BEFORE they had Levitre?

Is the whole point just to let us know that Colin Brown isn't as good a LG as Levitre? Well, stop the presses! This is news.

GO BILLS!!!

More Stat Sheet Lies

Sometimes our own stat sheets tell some false truths, such as DT Marcell Dareus’ six stops, which look pretty but don’t compare to his -2.6 grade for the game, particularly the -3.1 against the run. There were certainly some positives, as the six stops would indicate, particularly in the second half when Dareus beat RG Dan Connolly a number of times to get in on the action. It was a small measure of revenge for Dareus after Connolly put him on the ground with a great reach block on the last play of the first quarter. The mammoth hole led to a 20-yard gain for Ridley. Dareus found himself on the ground all too easily laster in the game, this time from center Ryan Wendell, who turned and planted him to open up yet another gaping hole that led to a 21-yard gain for Vereen. Dareus was sealed out of a number of first-half runs before his second-half surge, but it was too late to recover from the poor grade.

https://www.profootb...-ne-buf-week-1/

Questions at Left Guard

The left guard position has been a hot-button issue throughout Bills camp given the departure of free agent Andy Levitre, and it wasn’t a good start to the post-Levitre era.

We’ve already mentioned some of LG Brown’s difficult day, as he finished at -7.8 and was just as poor as a run blocker (-4.9) as he was in pass protection (-3.2). Brown may have had the most difficult task on the Bills’ line, however, as he often found himself battling not only the Patriots’ best run defender in Wilfork, but also their best pass rusher in Jones. Not only did Wilfork control Brown in the running game, he also bull-rushed him for a pressure with 1:43 to go in the second quarter. Jones lined up on the inside, a new wrinkle for the Patriots, as he played defensive right tackle (on a four-man line) seven times on Sunday after doing so only three times all of last season. He beat Brown for a hit and two hurries in his limited time, going to his outside shoulder each time. It looks like the Levitre whispers will continue for at least another week in Buffalo.

I thought Brown acquitted himself nicely in the passing game; in the run game not so much. I don't know how much of that is Wilfork and NE's quality LB corps...we'll just have to see as the season rolls on.

Any links to how Levitre graded out yesterday when Chris Johnson was blazing his way to 2.7 yards per carry?

Are we going to have to suffer these threads EVERY time our LG gets stuffed in the run game or gives up a sack?

Are we going to have to suffer these threads EVERY time Chris Johnson busts a long run and plays great? Like he didn't do just that BEFORE they had Levitre?

Is the whole point just to let us know that Colin Brown isn't as good a LG as Levitre? Well, stop the presses! This is news.

GO BILLS!!!

I shall answer in order:

No

Yes

No

Yes

More Stat Sheet Lies

Sometimes our own stat sheets tell some false truths, such as DT Marcell Dareus’ six stops, which look pretty but don’t compare to his -2.6 grade for the game, particularly the -3.1 against the run. There were certainly some positives, as the six stops would indicate, particularly in the second half when Dareus beat RG Dan Connolly a number of times to get in on the action. It was a small measure of revenge for Dareus after Connolly put him on the ground with a great reach block on the last play of the first quarter. The mammoth hole led to a 20-yard gain for Ridley. Dareus found himself on the ground all too easily laster in the game, this time from center Ryan Wendell, who turned and planted him to open up yet another gaping hole that led to a 21-yard gain for Vereen. Dareus was sealed out of a number of first-half runs before his second-half surge, but it was too late to recover from the poor grade.

Dareus occasioned himself a nice play or two yesterday, but his run defense is largely underwhelming. He was routinely washed out of plays and looks either soft or disinterested. I'm very disappointed in this kid's play the last year.

Yep, pretty impressive: - Bills LT Cordy Glenn did not give up a pressure on 32 attempts.

Glenn is good and I'm hoping he's only going to get better under Marrone...I think we forget sometime what an athletic freak Cordy is for his size...But his teammates talk about it often...With Marrone's background, in time, Cordy could be a Pro Bowl caliber LT... B-)

Dareus occasioned himself a nice play or two yesterday, but his run defense is largely underwhelming. He was routinely washed out of plays and looks either soft or disinterested. I'm very disappointed in this kid's play the last year.

I've been mostly unimpressed with Dareus for a while now...That much is well chronicled...Sunday did little to change that...His reported weight is about 20 lbs heavier than he was at the Combine...But he still looks bigger than that to me...I just don't see the explosion in his game much anymore...Not sure what they're asking him to do though...I see a lot of standing up immediately and hand fighting...He did look a little better this game than he did in most of them last season...But still, by no means is he a difference maker like the Bills hoped he would be when he was drafted #3 overall... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

More Stat Sheet Lies

Dareus is a bust.

Called it early last season. Others called it even before that.

Sucks, because Von Miller went one pick before us. :/

Dareus is a bust.

One helluva top 5 with Newton, Miller, Green, and Peterson. Dareus is simply not playing on the level of these guys and it's very disappointing.

Dareus is a bust.

And we took Dareus over Aj green, Peterson, jj watt and Aldon smith.

I didn't think he played that bad yesterday. Maybe I was just too drunk.

One helluva top 5 with Newton, Miller, Green, and Peterson. Dareus is simply not playing on the level of these guys and it's very disappointing.

only one of these is not like the others...

#1- Cam Newton

#2- Von Miller

#3- Marcel Dareus

#4- A J Green

#5- Patrick Peterson

#6- Julio Jones

#7- Aldon Smith

#11- J J Watt

all are pro bowl players except Dareus

Those hands to the face calls were the type of calls that makes my blood boil. There is literally hands to the face on just about every play, whether its DL or OL doing it. To have the refs make those calls, and ignore the others is maddening.

And we took Dareus over Aj green, Peterson, jj watt and Aldon smith.

I didn't think he played that bad yesterday. Maybe I was just too drunk.

i also thought he played fairly well. At least not bad.

Of course we got ran all over but that's probably not his fault alone.

Not the right place, and I know that KW played a great game yesterday when it came to rushing the passer, but KW is horrible against the run IMO. Great for a pass rushing DT, but he seriously falls short in the run game.

Much like Kiko yesterday, I noticed Dareus make both some very nice plays (lot's of penetration on both run and pass plays), and some pretty poor plays (once engaged with an OL got bowled over a couple times). All in all by no means playing like a "Bust" but still room for improvement and his leverage technique needs to get better.