A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

I'm not lamenting the fact that the Bills lost another frustrating game. The reason is that the better team with the HOF qb won. For those of you complainng that the Bills turnovers caused them to lose you are forgetting that the Bills got 21 points from the Pats' turnovers. The Pats ran 89 plays to our 61 plays. So from that standpoint they were in more control of the game than we were.

What I take out of this game is that I learned that EJ is a legitimate franchise qb prospect. I never got the sense at any time during the game that he wasn't in control. With young qbs sometimes we focus too much on the good plays when what is a better indicator of ability is how the qb handles failure. There were a few critical drops and a few missed plays. I never saw EJ lose his poise. I didn't see him react negatively to a mishap. He has a tremendous amount of poise. His body language exudes confidence.

EJ Manuel has tremendous pocket awareness. There were a few occasions when defensive pressure was closing in on him and he reacted by casually and instinctively moving away from it to keep the play alive. You can't teach that. Also, isn't it refreshing to have a qb who has a strong enough arm to effortlessly fling the ball down field? The pass to Woods was beautiful.

In my estimation the Bills are going to lose more games than they win this season. But the best approach to take is focus on this year's draft class with special attention given to how the qb plays. Kiko is going to be a dam good football player. Because he is a rookie he is going to be suckered a lot into making the wrong reads but in general he is a smart and tough player. Compare him to the invisible Sheppard?

Observations: McKelvin was the best defensive player in the game. He got away with a few clutching of the receivers but his coverage was superb.

Mario Williams was a shell of himself. He got stoned all day long by the OT he went against. His plantar foot issue has taken away his game. That is troubling.

With his tough running Jackson kept the Bills in the game. I thought the inside running plays called for Spiller was dumb.

I have no problem with the fast paced offense. However, how about showing some coaching intelligence and slowing it down at the end of the game!

Chandler is a decent player, nothing more. It would sure be nice to have a high octane TE to spice up the offense.

It is still early but the TJ Graham selection appears to be another wasted pick.

Woods is a smooth receiver who reminds me of Reggie Wayne. Not explosive but very polished and mature player.

Stevie Johnson is what he is. He is a high volume receiver who has a tendency to have drops. That's what he is. So just accpet it; and don't go crazy over it.

This is a three year rebuild process. The front office needs to string two more consecutive good drafts together before they become a serious team. This year's draft (so far), especially with the selection of a qb, is the foundation for moving forward.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People say this about NE every year and somehow they prove doubters wrong. BTW, If we had that many penalties, our was the worse team that day. 10-6 teams don't win with that many called on them per game.

True, but a bad 6-10 team can beat a worse 3-13 team... My point is were nowhere near being good even if we "Almost" beat NE "AGAIN".. Because NE is not looking good, atleast not yesterday... They may right the ship and end up 11-5, but I wouldn't count on us getting any ship pointed in any direction soon..

True, but a bad 6-10 team can beat a worse 3-13 team... My point is were nowhere near being good even if we "Almost" beat NE "AGAIN".. Because NE is not looking good, atleast not yesterday... They may right the ship and end up 11-5, but I wouldn't count on us getting any ship pointed in any direction soon..

I fail to see why. The Bills had command of this game and made correctable mistakes. The Patriots played their game, but they are down a number of critical resources. Fewer mistakes usually wins, but when those are on an equal level, talent wins. I like what we've got once we learn to use it better.

Aren't we tired of "Hoping" every week..? With that said, I "Hope" so too...

Oh, so must be it works, my bad..!

I think you missed the point...the point is that up-tempo, no-huddle teams do this by design to limit the substitutions that their opponents can make

Am I the only one that thought Nickell Roby had a very solid game for his first game in the NFL?

No, he played well. I'd grade the secondary as a whole as an 8/10. Can't be sure, but pretty sure Kiko kinda lost Amendola on his 2nd TD.

Amendola and Edelman made some GREAT catches in very tough coverage. That's simply a case of HOF QB putting ball in the one spot the defensive player can't touch it and have your player make a tough catch.

Also, Freddy played very, very well yesterday. Loved seeing him jawing at the Pat's LBs all game. Ran hard.

Edited by stony

I'm not lamenting the fact that the Bills lost another frustrating game. The reason is that the better team with the HOF qb won. For those of you complainng that the Bills turnovers caused them to lose you are forgetting that the Bills got 21 points from the Pats' turnovers. The Pats ran 89 plays to our 61 plays. So from that standpoint they were in more control of the game than we were.

What I take out of this game is that I learned that EJ is a legitimate franchise qb prospect. I never got the sense at any time during the game that he wasn't in control. With young qbs sometimes we focus too much on the good plays when what is a better indicator of ability is how the qb handles failure. There were a few critical drops and a few missed plays. I never saw EJ lose his poise. I didn't see him react negatively to a mishap. He has a tremendous amount of poise. His body language exudes confidence.

EJ Manuel has tremendous pocket awareness. There were a few occasions when defensive pressure was closing in on him and he reacted by casually and instinctively moving away from it to keep the play alive. You can't teach that. Also, isn't it refreshing to have a qb who has a strong enough arm to effortlessly fling the ball down field? The pass to Woods was beautiful.

In my estimation the Bills are going to lose more games than they win this season. But the best approach to take is focus on this year's draft class with special attention given to how the qb plays. Kiko is going to be a dam good football player. Because he is a rookie he is going to be suckered a lot into making the wrong reads but in general he is a smart and tough player. Compare him to the invisible Sheppard?

Observations: McKelvin was the best defensive player in the game. He got away with a few clutching of the receivers but his coverage was superb.

Mario Williams was a shell of himself. He got stoned all day long by the OT he went against. His plantar foot issue has taken away his game. That is troubling.

With his tough running Jackson kept the Bills in the game. I thought the inside running plays called for Spiller was dumb.

I have no problem with the fast paced offense. However, how about showing some coaching intelligence and slowing it down at the end of the game!

Chandler is a decent player, nothing more. It would sure be nice to have a high octane TE to spice up the offense.

It is still early but the TJ Graham selection appears to be another wasted pick.

Woods is a smooth receiver who reminds me of Reggie Wayne. Not explosive but very polished and mature player.

Stevie Johnson is what he is. He is a high volume receiver who has a tendency to have drops. That's what he is. So just accpet it; and don't go crazy over it.

This is a three year rebuild process. The front office needs to string two more consecutive good drafts together before they become a serious team. This year's draft (so far), especially with the selection of a qb, is the foundation for moving forward.

This is honestly, one of the best write ups I have seen. Well said John :thumbsup:

I think you missed the point...the point is that up-tempo, no-huddle teams do this by design to limit the substitutions that their opponents can make

No I do understand, and I am not so much dis agreeing, I guess it's just another bad Monday and were all in a bad mood - or atleast I was.. Yes the No-Huddle up-tempo can work, but I don't think a rookie QB will run it as well as Peyton and the days of Jim K out there basically calling their own plays.. I would have liked to see some more motion, more formations and more getting Spiller in the open was my original point.. I don't dis agree with the no huddle, but I think you can help your rookie QB out by giving the defense some different looks... Time will tell and I'm sure they will get better...

No I do understand, and I am not so much dis agreeing, I guess it's just another bad Monday and were all in a bad mood - or atleast I was.. Yes the No-Huddle up-tempo can work, but I don't think a rookie QB will run it as well as Peyton and the days of Jim K out there basically calling their own plays.. I would have liked to see some more motion, more formations and more getting Spiller in the open was my original point.. I don't dis agree with the no huddle, but I think you can help your rookie QB out by giving the defense some different looks... Time will tell and I'm sure they will get better...

Agreed it's a work in progress...I think those things will come in time when EJ and the coaches get more comfortable.

After the week 1 NFL results, the Bills schedule looks a whole lot easier. I count only 2 games that the Bills will have a long shot at winning...Saints and Falcons. The others should be fully contested games.

If this team stays healthy and their offense gets on track like we expect, this Bills team should have a real shot to finally be a playoff team in the very weak AFC.

EJ hasn't played for what, 3 1/2 weeks? He took a little while to warm up in the 1st preseason game and came out crisp in the 2nd.

Give him a game or 2 to get back into it.

I actually don't remember him being good in the second preseason game until the 2 minute warning at the half but will concede the point (he gets more than a game or two if he needs it in my book). I did think in both games he took some warm up time (which Kelly used to too, which was an off hand compliment in a way) to get going a bit (and in the first one it was not until the late in the 3rd quarter and he really was playing scubs at that point, unless I am remembering incorrectly). Just an observation, you know I respect your opinions Hopeful.

And John C good analysis although I disagree with the Mario bit; he got some pressure and looked aggressive to me, just not much that ended up in real stats.

Edited by bowery4

I wish I was a Bills fan living in New York City or California or somewhere other than CNY/WNY. Then these losses would not be nearly so painful and I can post my emotionally detached comments here.

Must be nice!

I live in Florida and the loss killed me......... : /

And John C good analysis although I disagree with the Mario bit; he got some pressure and looked aggressive to me, just not much that ended up in real stats.

I hope I'm wrong but something is amiss with him. There was a report that he was having plantar issues. There was a number of plays where I focused on him. From what I saw he often got stoned by the OT. It bears watching. With respect to stats associated with Mario he has a tendency to garner his sacks in bunches against weaker offensive linemen. When he faces upper tier linemen he becomes a very quiet player. I'm glad we have him but Mario is not really Super Mario.

I also keyed on Hughes. He is very fast but he doesn't seem to have much of a repertoire of moves. More often then not he was guided to the outside with the qb stepping inside of the pocket to neutralize him. Regardless, the trading of Sheppard for him was a steal.

I hope I'm wrong but something is amiss with him. There was a report that he was having plantar issues. There was a number of plays where I focused on him. From what I saw he often got stoned by the OT. It bears watching. With respect to stats associated with Mario he has a tendency to garner his sacks in bunches against weaker offensive linemen. When he faces upper tier linemen he becomes a very quiet player. I'm glad we have him but Mario is not really Super Mario.

I also keyed on Hughes. He is very fast but he doesn't seem to have much of a repertoire of moves. More often then not he was guided to the outside with the qb stepping inside of the pocket to neutralize him. Regardless, the trading of Sheppard for him was a steal.

I thought Mario was very good yesterday. He didn't get sacks, but he was clearly the focal point of the Pats protection scheme, and it created a lot of other opportunities for guys to make plays. He was a big part of why the team got 7 hits on Brady in the game. I counted 3 times he was single blocked, and another 5 when the Pats actually brought a 3rd OT into the game (Cannon) to double-team Mario with 2 OTs.

I will agree that there are times his foot looks like it's bothering him, but overall he was very good yesterday.

I thought Mario was very good yesterday. He didn't get sacks, but he was clearly the focal point of the Pats protection scheme, and it created a lot of other opportunities for guys to make plays. He was a big part of why the team got 7 hits on Brady in the game. I counted 3 times he was single blocked, and another 5 when the Pats actually brought a 3rd OT into the game (Cannon) to double-team Mario with 2 OTs.

I will agree that there are times his foot looks like it's bothering him, but overall he was very good yesterday.

I'll keep an open mind on this issue. Maybe I wasn't accounting for the double teaming as much as I should have?

I wish I was a Bills fan living in New York City or California or somewhere other than CNY/WNY. Then these losses would not be nearly so painful and I can post my emotionally detached comments here.

Must be nice!

From what I'm hearing, your emotional attachment to the Bills comes only because you live close to Buffalo. You'd stop being a fan--or else would become a much less emotionally-attached fan--if you ever moved out of the area.

I'll keep an open mind on this issue. Maybe I wasn't accounting for the double teaming as much as I should have?

Perhaps, or perhaps you're like every fan (including myself) and you find it much easier to notice a guy when he's accumulating sacks and knockdowns regularly. It's only natural.

Am I the only one that thought Nickell Roby had a very solid game for his first game in the NFL?

No, I agree. He was around the ball. Listen, any time the Bills can grab a free agent or late round defensive back who can play is an amazing thing. I even liked what I saw of Butler and was sorry that he was cut.

I can't stress it enough.....if the Bills get pressure up the middle from Dareus and KW, life will be easier for ALL of their defensive backs.

John, I do get it that Brady was playing sans Gronk, Hernandez and Welker. But he is still Tom Brady, and he was forced to throw some balls in the dirt and at times early. I didn't pay as much attention to Mario as I did to Dareus, but from what I could see, Mario was holding his lane, and in the right places.

9) McKelvin had an uneven game. Make no mistake, he did get away with a call or 2, but he also did actually make some good plays.

I did see the one where he held and the reciever was pushing off- which penalty do you call ? - the right one it's a no call despite Dumbdork on TV ignoring the pushing off typical for Dumbdork

Good post. My one quibble: give Hackett a break. I'm pretty confident they had to run a very simplified offense given that the Qb hasn't played in three weeks and has only about two preseason quarters under his belt. Gailey is actually a very good coordinator, but recall that he had a very smart, veteran qb running the offense (and yes, that qb had lots of flaws). Anyway, sometimes an OC has to run a simple offense because of the limitations of the qb.

and how do you know this?? I'm not giving hackett ****!! Perhaps he should have ran more play action. Since they keyed on spiller the way they did, why wouldn't he?? Its called a wrinkle. He needed to add a couple wrinkles to that bs play calling. Give him a break??? No can we Bills fans get a break. If u can't run with the big boys than stay home. His play calling was **** and that's part of the reason we lost!!

NOBODY GETS A BREAK!! 13 YEARS WITHOUT A SNIFF OF THE PLAYOFFS........NO ONE!!!!

Chandler, false start, (twice) I believe. WTF Chandler?

It's troubling to me that we knew about the penalties - a theme all preseason - and the coaches don't seem able to address the problem.

Give Hackett a bit of a break judging his play calling. He had a rookie starting against a wicked good DL, and said rookie hasn't played in 3 weeks. It was the right thing to run a simplified offense.

You're right on about the 3-and-outs, but it begs the question to me: do we not have a ball-control version of our offense at all? When you don't huddle and go 3 and out, you give the D all of 23 seconds off the field. At least give them 2 minutes.

I'm most interested to see what the Patriots look like against another team. I'm wondering if the Bills will be good, or if the Pats will be putrid. Given the number of penalties and turnovers we had, and the disparity in the TOP, last year's Pats would have hung up 40. Or 50.

like I said in another post, its called wrinkles. He needed to add wrinkles to his bs play calling!! Like a play action pass. You say give him a break, but his play calling is part of the reason for so many 3 and outs.

As for ej, you took him at 16 for a reason. So wit the play calling take a chance somewhere in the game and more than once. YOU DO WHAT IT TAKES TO WIN!!

I don't see what all the hype is about, we lost to a very bad NE team.. NE looked like a 6-10 team today and still beat us after we had 10 penalties. I agree the Defense did look better than years past, much better but our offense was terrible. And I don't mean the players as much as the scheme, did anyone else notice it was the same EXACT FORMATION THE ENTIRE GAME IN THE BACKFIELD.! And our run plays consisted of the same 2 runs the WHOLE game, either left or right.! It was mis usage of Spiller to get him in the open, no Draw plays, only one screen, no counters, no mis directions, no pitches, just the same run play all game from the exact same formation all game. BLAH, no wounder we couldn't run the freaking ball.!

EXACTLY !!! That falls on the oc!!

Good post (as always) Bill. After getting stuck in Boston trying to get home to NC, I'm finally rested up after attending this game and here are my additions to your thoughts:

1 -- Agree on being impressed with EJ. He was not spectacular, but incredibly solid and as others have noted, "poised" in the pocket. He has a calmness about him and I really believe he could be a great one as he develops and starts looking for the bigger plays downfield. The two TD throws were beautiful passes -- particularly the one he dropped into a basket to Stevie.

2 -- EXTREMELY disappointed with the 4th quarter playcalling from Hackett. Really? Running on 1st down up the middle w/ CJ when that hasn't been successful all day and the Pats* have 8 in the box?

3 -- I thought McCorner had a very solid game. On one 2nd half drive I counted three outstanding plays in a 5-play stretch. He actually showed some ball awareness!

4 -- Don't worry about taking heat for Searcy. The guy is a football player (cliche, I know) and although he has coverage limitations he has very good instincts. Happy for him that he played well Sunday.

5 -- Where's the love for Powell? Best game of this young P's career. Moorman (thanks again, Brian) is a memory.

6 -- There is a desperate Carolina team coming to Buffalo this week; only scored 7 pts. at home and facing the prospect of an 0-2 start for a team that believes they are playoff-bound.

Overall, I was obviously disappointed at the end result -- and hearing about two more broken bones (Goodwin, Brooks) is a downer -- but I believe the offense will grow and the defense proved they can keep the team in football games. Things are looking up.

Go Bills!

Perhaps, or perhaps you're like every fan (including myself) and you find it much easier to notice a guy when he's accumulating sacks and knockdowns regularly. It's only natural.

I'm not harranguing on Mario, especially if he has an injured foot. I read a column by Chuck Pollack from the Olean Times Hearld. He made the same observation that I did. His quote from the column: "BY THE way, if you thought defensive end Mario Williams was inactive Sunday, you clearly missed his one tackle and single assist."

MW is an important player for the defense. If he is impaired and not playing at a high level it is going to have a major negative impact on the defense. Just something to keep an eye on.

EXACTLY !!! That falls on the oc!!

Any of you hot-heads pause to think that perhaps we ran a simplified offense today as part of the development of a rookie, a talented rookie but still a rookie, who missed half of preseason and only played 3 quarters before that? I'm not saying our offense was a potent juggernaut 'cuz it wasn't. I'm just pointing out that we had a rookie who looked poised calm and confident at the helm - which we likely wouldn't have seen if the complexity of the offense were greater.

Any of you hot-heads pause to think that perhaps we ran a simplified offense today as part of the development of a rookie, a talented rookie but still a rookie, who missed half of preseason and only played 3 quarters before that? I'm not saying our offense was a potent juggernaut 'cuz it wasn't. I'm just pointing out that we had a rookie who looked poised calm and confident at the helm - which we likely wouldn't have seen if the complexity of the offense were greater.

Read my other comment!! Its called a wrinkle hopeful. It doesn't have to be complex but adjustments needed to be made. Bottom line, YOU DO WHAT IT TAKES TO WIN!!

And if I heard correctly, SJ's td was an audible called by EJ. And the td to RW was a play he called because of bad communication. Don't know how true it is so correct me if I'm wrong. Developement of a talented rookie you say?? Well you take a chance on that talent. They didn't and that's just one of many things that cost us a division game.

More was needed to win. They took him 16th for a reason. Let it ride and do what you have to do to win!!! Jmho

Edited by qdawg in philly

What you've just described is, word for word, the exact description of both the K-gun offense that Jim Kelly ran here and the offense that Peyton Manning has been running in Indy and Denver for the last 12 years.

Uhhh... except for the fact that we ran a ton of different plays to Thurman Thomas out of the 'Gun; e.g. draws, off-tackle runs, direct snaps, screens, catches out of the backfield, etc. etc. I think this is what the previous poster was getting at. Just because the formation is the same doesn't mean the play-calling has to be totally predictable.

Uhhh... except for the fact that we ran a ton of different plays to Thurman Thomas out of the 'Gun; e.g. draws, off-tackle runs, direct snaps, screens, catches out of the backfield, etc. etc. I think this is what the previous poster was getting at. Just because the formation is the same doesn't mean the play-calling has to be totally predictable.

Never said it did...the poster stated that the offense kept showing the same looks, and so I pointed out that such a thing is quite common for an up tempo, no huddle offense