Problems I Saw

jjmac

Aside from all that....nobody thinks this up tempo no huddle was a problem? To me its why we lost. Its pretty common knowledge that the best way to beat the Pats is to keep Brady off the field. Going 3 and out while taking 15 seconds per play off the clock and giving it back to them we're just asking to lose.." here Tom try to score again" WTF

All the penalties and turn overs were meaningless once we were up but yet we burned no clock in the 4th qtr....and with 5 minutes to go they can't stop to huddle up? burn some clock, figure out a play that might actually get a 1st down, give the D a couple more minutes to rest, etc etc etc.... The D was stout but running on fumes. That 3 and out with no huddle using 10-15 seconds between plays was as close to incompetence by a coaching staff as I can imagine.

All that aside I feel good about the EJ and the D. Marrone & Hacket have me really worried though...should have seen quickly CJ was not making good decisions and Freddy was as usual....then their game management....ugh...I'll stop now. But I am more hopeful than in recent years and remain positive and will continue to pay DirectV too much money to follow my team.

Go Bills!

I liked Marrone's "play fast" gameplan...but not with 5 minutes left against the Patriots.

But then again, if the defense would have held them to a long field goal, he'd look like a genius.

I was expecting a blowout, got a tough-fought loss instead. I'll take it.

Edited by Breakdance

Aside from all that....nobody thinks this up tempo no huddle was a problem? To me its why we lost. Its pretty common knowledge that the best way to beat the Pats is to keep Brady off the field. Going 3 and out while taking 15 seconds per play off the clock and giving it back to them we're just asking to lose.." here Tom try to score again" WTF

All the penalties and turn overs were meaningless once we were up but yet we burned no clock in the 4th qtr....and with 5 minutes to go they can't stop to huddle up? burn some clock, figure out a play that might actually get a 1st down, give the D a couple more minutes to rest, etc etc etc.... The D was stout but running on fumes. That 3 and out with no huddle using 10-15 seconds between plays was as close to incompetence by a coaching staff as I can imagine.

All that aside I feel good about the EJ and the D. Marrone & Hacket have me really worried though...should have seen quickly CJ was not making good decisions and Freddy was as usual....then their game management....ugh...I'll stop now. But I am more hopeful than in recent years and remain positive and will continue to pay DirectV too much money to follow my team.

Go Bills!

Here is my issue with your statements and others about the no huddle. If we HAD huddled up and lost the game, this board would be burning Marrone at the stake for not sticking with what was working (the no huddle) and switching to the huddle.

This is the most flip flopping fan base and most emotionally irrational fan base of any team in any sport I have ever seen. It didnt matter that we didnt run more clock out...Brady had a ton of time left and they chose to run it off the clock. All Brady needs is 30 seconds, as he has done it multiple times, to get his team in FG position. There was still 6 min left in the game. Buffalo needed to score again. Running out the clock with a 1 point lead and with 6 min left is how you play to try and hope not to lose...not how you play to win.

Marrone went with what had been working, players MADE mistakes. They did not execute.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Go Bills!

I don't. Lack of running game and first downs were part of the problem. I guess "up tempo" is going to be the most overused term this week?

Clock mismanagement with a 4th quarter lead should be #1 on the list.

How is clock mismanagement? There's roughly 5 minutes left and the Pats have 3 timeouts still. We're only up by 1 so I have no problem with running the hurry up and trying to get more points up.

For the last umpteen years we all complained about our coaches playing not to lose. Today, Marrone played to win. He kept running the hurry-up and continued to run Spiller and throw the ball. Now some of you are saying the coaching sucked.

So, which shall it be? Play like Jauron not to lose or like Marrone to win? You tell me.

Here is my issue with your statements and others about the no huddle. If we HAD huddled up and lost the game, this board would be burning Marrone at the stake for not sticking with what was working (the no huddle) and switching to the huddle.

This is the most flip flopping fan base and most emotionally irrational fan base of any team in any sport I have ever seen. It didnt matter that we didnt run more clock out...Brady had a ton of time left and they chose to run it off the clock. All Brady needs is 30 seconds, as he has done it multiple times, to get his team in FG position. There was still 6 min left in the game. Buffalo needed to score again. Running out the clock with a 1 point lead and with 6 min left is how you play to try and hope not to lose...not how you play to win.

Marrone went with what had been working, players MADE mistakes. They did not execute.

Its the way of the fickle sports fan.

I obviously don't post here much and you personally don't know me but flip flopping I'm not. The not huddling up at the end was just the worst part. Not huddling early on was just not nearly as bad. It didn't work for the vast majority of the game....if it was working I would agree with you but it wasn't working at all. So with 5 minutes to go and critical to score I think it would have been wise to take a breath, talk it over, and try to get some 1st downs and maybe in field goal range. You saw the panicked time outs soon as they got a 1st down...it was like a light bulb went on that time was running out.

Time of possession was lopsided in their favor. Like you said Brady only needs 30 seconds...so you're happy giving him almost twice as much time to do it? And have our defense out there that long? And then point at them for blowing the lead.

No huddle is great when you get 1st downs. We had a lot of 3 and outs...you can't be a fan of that. Again the best way to beat the Pats is to keep Brady off the field and 2-1 time of possession won't get you a win....no matter how dominating a defense Brady will beat you. And we weren't dominating, we were hanging in there and making some plays against a team without 2 star tight ends and 1.5 receivers.

But look...I think there were a lot of positives and I'm really encouraged. I'm pissed because we could have won that game a number of different ways and we didn't. Did I expect going in to win? No...but once we had the lead I thought we should have with some better coaching decisions and game awareness. But thats just me.

Go Bills!

THIS x 1000! I was sitting there befuddled late in the 3rd, and in the 4th quarter, for when they had the lead, they should have been doing everything possible to run down the clock. The "hurry up" offense at that point in the game was idiotic.

Ineffective pass rush? What game did you watch? The Bills haven't harassed Brady that much in years. What did the Pats offense accomplish when it wasn't handed the ball in our own end after a turnover?

How is clock mismanagement? There's roughly 5 minutes left and the Pats have 3 timeouts still. We're only up by 1 so I have no problem with running the hurry up and trying to get more points up.

Exactly. Ridiculous knee-jerk complaint people are parroting from the game announcers.

Edited by KD in CT

Regarding the clock mgmt: we had a 1 point lead in the 4th quarter against the PATS. Keep playing the way we've been playing is the best way to go IMO. If we were up 10 points with 7 minutes to go or so I could see maybe trying to milk the clock. But 1 point? Na - keep going full force IMO.

Edited by bobobonators

Exactly. Ridiculous knee-jerk complaint people are parroting from the game announcers.

LOL. Watched the game in a bar WHERE I COULD NOT HEAR THE ANNOUNCERS.

It's just common football sense, and has been so forever. When you have a lead late in the game, you run out the clock as best you can. The latter is especially crucial when you're playing against someone like Brady, who, as you saw, needs very little time to take it down the field.

LOL. Watched the game in a bar WHERE I COULD NOT HEAR THE ANNOUNCERS.

It's just common football sense, and has been so forever. When you have a lead late in the game, you run out the clock as best you can. The latter is especially crucial when you're playing against someone like Brady, who, as you saw, needs very little time to take it down the field.

I understand you want to milk the clock - but we had a 1 point lead with 10 minutes to play in the 4th Quarter. That is not the time to milk anything against Tom Brady. That's the time to score 2 more TD's. We couldn't score. We lost.