So does Byrd play on sunday or not?

billsgpr88

Agree with all of this. Marrone has walked the walk and as an OLineman to boot. He knows what it's like to play with pain vs. injury.

GO BILLS!!!

i dont know why, but for some reason i was under the impression that his playing career was more extensive than it really was -- your comment made me curious about his injury history and after clicking over to look at his playing career was surprised how little he actually played. im near certain i had seen it before, but with how often we throw around that he was an NFL player i think it skewed my thoughts on it some. (not that it makes any difference)

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont know why, but for some reason i was under the impression that his playing career was more extensive than it really was -- your comment made me curious about his injury history and after clicking over to look at his playing career was surprised how little he actually played. im near certain i had seen it before, but with how often we throw around that he was an NFL player i think it skewed my thoughts on it some. (not that it makes any difference)

Yes he spent 6 years kicking around as a player. Two of those years he was on NFL rosters, 2 of those years he was on NFL Europe rosters, and 2 of those years he attempted and failed to make NFL teams.

I seem to remember him saying at around the time of the first cutdown that he had been cut several times himself so he knew how hard it was on the players.

My sense of Marrone is a guy with tons of smarts but lacking the athletic ability to have a bona fide NFL career.

It's ironic that the longer Byrd sits due to his condition, the more he actually validates the Bills' side in the contract negotiations. Not saying Byrd is faking, just that his condition validates the Bills' decision to wait and see how this year plays out before paying above the tag value for his services.

It's ironic that the longer Byrd sits due to his condition, the more he actually validates the Bills' side in the contract negotiations. Not saying Byrd is faking, just that his condition validates the Bills' decision to wait and see how this year plays out before paying above the tag value for his services.

I think that right from the start the team's argument was valid. Byrd deserves to be paid as a top ten safety but not as the highest paid safety in the league.

First, I am sure that they were fully aware of his persistent health issue and as many have noted this can go on and on and on. He did not aggravate this in camp, which probably means that all during those infamous negotiations Byrd and his 'oh so honest and upright' agent knew that Byrd would be unable to play to start this season.

Byrd benefited from our prior defenses' poor play that often left him all by himself to gain stats. Yes, he is a highly talented player but put him with a good 'D' and those numbers will shrink (Giving him more reason to sign a big life contract before reality comes home to roost.).

Although it is only two games we have seen a totally more productive Bills' 'D' with Searcy in Byrd's slot than we have at any time in Byrd's career. Yes, I know Byrd is better than Searcy (If Byrd's footsies ever start to work right.) but has anyone honestly spent either game thinking 'if only Byrd was in there?'

So, will we see him out there Sunday? If we do I am hoping he will have to earn his keep by first playing some special teams to get in game shape. Let him be a gunner on punts. Let's see if he can chase down and tackle a kick returner inside the 15.

Our team D has put together two decent games using the chemistry between players that began this summer. I see no reason to immediately upset the cart just so that Byrd can get enough snaps in to justify his financial future (Heck, if he wisely invests this year's salary he will be set for life earning more in interest than any of us will ever earn by working five days a week.).

Go Bills! Go D Team! Play as a team and win as a team!

Isn't Mario playing with it?

And, from his quotes he has figured out (We should all hope.) that he is a better player when he can play as part of a team unit rather than as an individual. It is amazing how team players are capable to play well while hurting because they are part of the team.

I wonder how he'll feel if they have him playing only on Special Teams when he clears himself to play once he's "100%".

I get what you are saying. But the Bills need to be the bigger man at this point. It also will show other players and perspective players that Marrone and his staff did the right thing. IF they just used Byrd on ST that would get around. Not a good thing to be known as.

Good point. My question, I'm afraid to ask: How does he pass a physical if they did not franchise him or traded him?

I expect Marrone and company to a bit more mature than us fans about this .

If he can make the team better, he will be on the field soon enough

Seeing him on ST might be a bit over the top :sick: .

Having him dress/ then sit after he calls himself 100% might make a point though .

I think he wants to play football. Thats my opinion . But he should not go to the head of the class after Searcy, William , and Williams have earned the start at repsective positions

I doubt he plays tomorrow. Plantar fasciitis is a miserable ailment and it does not heal (no pun intended) quickly..

Might I suggest an immediate cure to this painful Plantar Fascilitis condition. Just get the Surgeon to amputate both feet close to the ankle. Is that less painful now Jairus ?