Super Bowl teams and their pre-season records

Just Jack

Does pre-season matter when it comes to being Super Bowl champs? Here's some of the data to support or refute your argument

2012 Ravens (2-2) 49ers (3-1)

2011 Giants (2-2) Patriots (2-2)

2010 Packers (2-2) Steelers (3-1)

2009 Saints (3-1) Colts (1-3)

2008 Steelers (3-1) Cardinals (2-2)

2007 Giants (1-3) Patriots (2-2)

2006 Colts (1-3) Bears (2-2)

2005 Steelers (3-1) Seahawks (2-2)

2004 Patriots (1-3) Eagles (1-3)

2003 Patriots (4-0) Panthers (4-0)

2002 Buccaneers (3-1) Raiders (2-2)

2001 Patriots (3-1) Rams (4-1)*(played in HOF game)

2000 Ravens (4-0) Giants (0-4)

was running out of sources to find results, so I stopped at 2000. If there's enough interest, I'll see if I can find more.

Only three 4-0 preseason teams have made it to the SB, two of those won it.

Only one 0-4 team has made the SB.

Average pre-season record of the SB winning team is 2.46-1.53

Average pre-season record of the SB losing team is 2.15-1.92

Nine teams had 2-2 records.

Seven teams had 3-1 records

Five teams had 1-3 records.

We really shouldn't read too much into yesterday, and before people say, "well we shouldn't read too much into week's 1 and 2 then", I disagree slightly. I think week's 1 and 2 are more indicative of what this team is going to be like. Yesterday was essentially a perfect clusterf**** of a storm. EJ should have been starting and was held out due to his procedure, Kolb started and it's been fairly obvious the team seems to respond better to EJ than Kolb, and the main thing...Kolb was quickly hurt (yes it appears he's made of glass but that was a freak injury. I will concede that some players are just magnets for these types of injuries and thus, are likely too fragile for the NFL) and Tuel came in. It's clear that Marrone and Hackett went into emergency mode and adjusted the offensive attack for the sole purpose of protecting their remaining healthy QB at the expense of winning the game or competing better during it. This is different than week's 1 and 2. Do I think this 2013 Bills team is going to consistently be the team from week's 1 and 2? Not necessarily, especially given the volatile nature of the sport. But I do think yesterday was simply a mixture of average play that produced poor results based on what transpired early with Kolb. I will admit the D did not have a good showing, but are we expecting perfection? Let's relax here. If everything was always perfect, the NFL wouldn't be nearly as enjoyable to follow. Enjoy the ride. And for our sanity as Bills fans, let's hope the results are much better this year.

werent the 0-16 Lions 4-0 during the preseason that year? Preseason records essentially mean nothing.

The Lions didn't make it to the SB that year, hence why they are not on the list.

We really shouldn't read too much into yesterday, and before people say, "well we shouldn't read too much into week's 1 and 2 then", I disagree slightly. I think week's 1 and 2 are more indicative of what this team is going to be like.

Week 1 will be very important since it's against a divisional rival. They may need a win if it comes down to making the playoffs and/or playoff seeding

Does pre-season matter when it comes to being Super Bowl champs? Here's some of the data to support or refute your argument

2012 Ravens (2-2) 49ers (3-1)

2011 Giants (2-2) Patriots (2-2)

2010 Packers (2-2) Steelers (3-1)

2009 Saints (3-1) Colts (1-3)

2008 Steelers (3-1) Cardinals (2-2)

2007 Giants (1-3) Patriots (2-2)

2006 Colts (1-3) Bears (2-2)

2005 Steelers (3-1) Seahawks (2-2)

2004 Patriots (1-3) Eagles (1-3)

2003 Patriots (4-0) Panthers (4-0)

2002 Buccaneers (3-1) Raiders (2-2)

2001 Patriots (3-1) Rams (4-1)*(played in HOF game)

2000 Ravens (4-0) Giants (0-4)

was running out of sources to find results, so I stopped at 2000. If there's enough interest, I'll see if I can find more.

Only three 4-0 preseason teams have made it to the SB, two of those won it.

Only one 0-4 team has made the SB.

Average pre-season record of the SB winning team is 2.46-1.53

Average pre-season record of the SB losing team is 2.15-1.92

Nine teams had 2-2 records.

Seven teams had 3-1 records

Five teams had 1-3 records.

I believe we went 0-4 twice during our superbowl run... someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm very confident we went 0-4 at least once.

The Lions didn't make it to the SB that year, hence why they are not on the list.

Week 1 will be very important since it's against a divisional rival. They may need a win if it comes down to making the playoffs and/or playoff seeding

I know an 0-16 team didnt make the playoffs. The point I was trying to make was that preseason records dont really mean anything.

We really shouldn't read too much into yesterday, and before people say, "well we shouldn't read too much into week's 1 and 2 then", I disagree slightly. I think week's 1 and 2 are more indicative of what this team is going to be like. Yesterday was essentially a perfect clusterf**** of a storm. EJ should have been starting and was held out due to his procedure, Kolb started and it's been fairly obvious the team seems to respond better to EJ than Kolb, and the main thing...Kolb was quickly hurt (yes it appears he's made of glass but that was a freak injury. I will concede that some players are just magnets for these types of injuries and thus, are likely too fragile for the NFL) and Tuel came in. It's clear that Marrone and Hackett went into emergency mode and adjusted the offensive attack for the sole purpose of protecting their remaining healthy QB at the expense of winning the game or competing better during it. This is different than week's 1 and 2. Do I think this 2013 Bills team is going to consistently be the team from week's 1 and 2? Not necessarily, especially given the volatile nature of the sport. But I do think yesterday was simply a mixture of average play that produced poor results based on what transpired early with Kolb. I will admit the D did not have a good showing, but are we expecting perfection? Let's relax here. If everything was always perfect, the NFL wouldn't be nearly as enjoyable to follow. Enjoy the ride. And for our sanity as Bills fans, let's hope the results are much better this year.

It wasn't the offense that was worrisome, it was the D. They got run over and Gilmore and Searcy got injured.

Preseason does matter, the final score does not which unfortunately is all people seem to worry about

Last year preseason was bad for the Bills. It was the blueprint for how the actual season turned out. The final score isn't important but when a team is dominated at every level it is a concern.An example is an offense that go a half without a first down. or a run defense coming off two horrific years gives up 200+ yards, and it's chalked up to a "vanilla" game plan. Yesterday's game was pathetic and smelled like last year. Fortunately, it probably was just a glitch, and not an indicator like 2012 was.

#1- the score itself is meaningless.

#2- pre-season is a mine field of injuries.

#3- players like CJ, Stevie, Mario, Kyle, Freddy, Gilmore, byrd should never see the field.

#4- practicing at full speed is risky enough. at least teammates aren't taking out your knees (see kevin Williams Minnesota last night and others).

The record is obviously meaningless. Failing to control the line of scrimmage is what worries me. The Bills looked ordinary to bad when playing their NFLers against other NFLers in all 3 games. That's what I saw. But I really like the aggressiveness on defense and how EJ looked on offense, so there should be some improvement this year....at least the Bills will be watchable.

I believe we went 0-4 twice during our superbowl run... someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm very confident we went 0-4 at least once.

What were our Super Bowl years preseason records... Anybody remember?

1990 0-4

1991 2-3

1992 2-2

1993 2-3

The more interesting stat is how those teams faired in their 3rd pre-season game.

2012 Ravens (win vs Jags) 49ers (win vs Broncos)

2011 Giants (loss vs Jets) Patriots (loss vs Lions)

2010 Packers (win vs Colts) Steelers (loss vs Broncos)

2009 Saints (win vs Raiders) Colts (loss vs Lions)

2008 Steelers (win vs Vikings) Cardinals (win vs Raiders)

2007 Giants (loss vs Jets) Patriots (win vs Panthers)

2006 Colts (win vs Saints) Bears (loss vs Cardinals)

2005 Steelers (loss vs Redskins) Seahawks (win vs Chiefs)

2004 Patriots (loss vs Panthers) Eagles (loss vs Steelers)

2003 Patriots (win vs Eagles) Panthers (win vs Packers)

2002 Buccaneers (loss vs Redskins) Raiders (win vs 49ers)

2001 Patriots (loss vs Buccaneers) Rams (loss vs Titans)

2000 Ravens (win vs Panthers) Giants (loss vs Jets)

SB winning teams won 53% of their 3rd pre-season games

SB losing team won 46% of their 3rd pre-season games