If you guys think the "national media" (ESPN) hates us... try

This is likely old news to 99% of this board, but I just got Direct TV last month... I had been without cable for half a decade (would get Bills games through my PS3/Sunday Ticket ap), and was excited to watch all of the sports shows again.

One thing I quickly realized: these shows devote 25-33% of their DAILY coverage, to the New York Jets. And you would think, from watching it, that the Jets are the most inept, incompetent organization in the history of professional football.

They don't just criticize Mark Sanchez, they mock him. That "butt fumble" play is STILL on countdown lists--its been #1 on their "worst of the worst" list for 38 straight weeks. So, for 38 weeks, they have been openly mocking Mark Sanchez.

Mark Sanchez: a guy that if he was qb of the Bills would be...

#3 all time in bills history for completions, behind kelly and ferguson

# 4 all time in bills history for yards, behind kelly, ferguson and kemp

# 4 all time in bills history for TDs behind kelly, ferguson and, yes, fitzpatrick (by 3).

Not to mention back to back conference championship game appearances.

4 years into his career, he would be one of the best Bills qbs of all time, and yet he is mocked mercilessly by the national media.

Now I dont particularly care for the Jets... I dont hate them like some of the older posters here... but if I were a Jets fan, i would be pissed, and have a much more legitimate gripe about being "disrespected" by the national media than we can as Bills fans.

Nobody disrespects the NY JESTS like their own fans do. They're in open rebellion, Rex is despised by many and Sanchise is thought of as a joke. They perennially disappoint their fans who openly refer to them as "the same old dog-assed JETS" year after year. 1963 was FIFTY YEARS AGO and they've pretty much sucked ever since.

Nobody disrespects the NY JESTS like their own fans do. They're in open rebellion, Rex is despised by many and Sanchise is thought of as a joke. They perennially disappoint their fans who openly refer to them as "the same old dog-assed JETS" year after year. 1963 was FIFTY YEARS AGO and they've pretty much sucked ever since.

I think you mean 1968

Mark Sanchez: a guy that if he was qb of the Bills would be...

#3 all time in bills history for completions, behind kelly and ferguson

# 4 all time in bills history for yards, behind kelly, ferguson and kemp

# 4 all time in bills history for TDs behind kelly, ferguson and, yes, fitzpatrick (by 3).

Not many QBs in Bills history have had 4 years of starting. Not Fitz, Bledsoe, Losman nor Edwards, so Sanchez' ranks high in Bills history by default.

When you watch him play - hes pretty bad -> 55% completion; 68-69 TD:INT; 71.7 rating

Not many QBs in Bills history have had 4 years of starting. Not Fitz, Bledsoe, Losman nor Edwards, so Sanchez' ranks high in Bills history by default.

When you watch him play - hes pretty bad -> 55% completion; 68-69 TD:INT; 71.7 rating

I completely agree--he's borderline average at best. perhaps even bottom 10 in the league (as far as starters). you know exactly what youre getting from him.

my point was simply: he's garbage, yes, but were he a Bill, he would arguably be one of our 3 greatest qbs. EVER. the national media rips this man to shreds, day-in, day-out. was the butt fumble funny? sure. 9 months ago. espn still shows it on a daily basis.

i guess you always hear "player x couldnt play in NY, they couldnt handle the media spotlight."

but at some point in the last 5 years, its like the national media said, "lets REALLY create a spotlight on these new york city teams".

a-rod and mark sanchez are the sports news right now.

i guess... i just feel bad for sanchez??

If you play in the NYC market, you will be a target. It's a huge risk-reward situation. If you perform well and win, you will be a god. If you do not, you will be mercilessly destroyed. The media picked on Manning at first, then he won two Superbowls and he is now great in their eyes. Sanchez was a media darling at first. He didn't win (anything big) so he is now relegated to NY Post punchlines. Imagine in this day and age what would happen to a guy like Namath? His boast was a big deal back then, but it would be magnified times a million today. If he lost, he would be run out of town. Buffalo is so low profile that failure is an option. Few will know.

I completely agree--he's borderline average at best. perhaps even bottom 10 in the league (as far as starters). you know exactly what youre getting from him.

my point was simply: he's garbage, yes, but were he a Bill, he would arguably be one of our 3 greatest qbs. EVER. the national media rips this man to shreds, day-in, day-out. was the butt fumble funny? sure. 9 months ago. espn still shows it on a daily basis.

i guess you always hear "player x couldnt play in NY, they couldnt handle the media spotlight."

but at some point in the last 5 years, its like the national media said, "lets REALLY create a spotlight on these new york city teams".

a-rod and mark sanchez are the sports news right now.

i guess... i just feel bad for sanchez??

Here's the deal;

Rex is in love with him and keeps him as starter. - thats why his numbers are higher

If he were in Buffalo, he would have been replaced long ago.

Buffalo wont stick with someone that long if they aren't getting it done.

Unfortunately, they haven't found one who can yet, until now, hopefully.

Not to mention back to back conference championship game appearances.

OMG I hate hearing this line. His QB rating was in the 60's both of those seasons - he was awful - and carried by his defense and running game both seasons. In fairness, he did step up his play once he they were in the playoffs, but please don't imagine he was anything but an obstacle for them actually making the playoffs.

The NFL as an institution has been committed to the NFCE since forever. Eagles, Giants, Skins, Boys get abnormal amounts of promotion & coverage no matter how poor they are in any given year. The NFL still hasn't really accepted the merger with the AFL. They named the SB trophy after a man who openly despised the AFL until his death, its promotion of "classic" games from the 60s is virtually free of AFL games, & it has studiously overlooked players who played most or all of their career in the AFL when it comes to the HOF or to just giving them respectful mentions when discussing players from the 60s. Heck, the NFL never accepted the 1950 merger with the AAFC, moving 2 of those 3 teams (Cleveland, Baltimore) to the AFC after that merger & would have moved the 3rd one (49ers) if Oakland wasn't already in the Bay area. Instead, Philly manuvered the Steelers out to be the "real" NFL team in Pennsylvania.

Remember the over the top joy of the NFL establishment when the NFCE Giants beat the Bills in the SB? From that moment on, Parcells was lionized & still is. The ignominy for one of the great AFL franchise, the Bills, was that they lost all 4 SBs to NFCE teams. That only solidified the smug belef that the NFCE is the real elite core of the league.

The Jets misfortune is that they are an original AFL franchise playing in the same market as the old NFL's supposed flagship franchise. And the Jets were the first AFL team to beat the NFL in the SB, & did it in a legendary fashion that's still talked about, which must really rankle the "old boys." The Jets will always be mocked by the NFL toadies while the Giants will always be treated with respect. You see, the Jets did the unforgiveable: they humiliated "the real NFL."

I think that says more about how bad our QBs have been because Sanchez has been bad for 2 and a half years now...by default as a starting QB in the NFL these days you will put up better numbers than good QBs in previous eras when the game was totally different...

Edited by matter2003

The NFL as an institution has been committed to the NFCE since forever. Eagles, Giants, Skins, Boys get abnormal amounts of promotion & coverage no matter how poor they are in any given year. The NFL still hasn't really accepted the merger with the AFL. They named the SB trophy after a man who openly despised the AFL until his death, its promotion of "classic" games from the 60s is virtually free of AFL games, & it has studiously overlooked players who played most or all of their career in the AFL when it comes to the HOF or to just giving them respectful mentions when discussing players from the 60s. Heck, the NFL never accepted the 1950 merger with the AAFC, moving 2 of those 3 teams (Cleveland, Baltimore) to the AFC after that merger & would have moved the 3rd one (49ers) if Oakland wasn't already in the Bay area. Instead, Philly manuvered the Steelers out to be the "real" NFL team in Pennsylvania.

Remember the over the top joy of the NFL establishment when the NFCE Giants beat the Bills in the SB? From that moment on, Parcells was lionized & still is. The ignominy for one of the great AFL franchise, the Bills, was that they lost all 4 SBs to NFCE teams. That only solidified the smug belef that the NFCE is the real elite core of the league.

The Jets misfortune is that they are an original AFL franchise playing in the same market as the old NFL's supposed flagship franchise. And the Jets were the first AFL team to beat the NFL in the SB, & did it in a legendary fashion that's still talked about, which must really rankle the "old boys." The Jets will always be mocked by the NFL toadies while the Giants will always be treated with respect. You see, the Jets did the unforgiveable: they humiliated "the real NFL."

I hear you... But, and a very big BUTT: The Pats* getting stomped by the Gints twice makes it all better!