Astro-Notes: Final Practice

Astrobot

The Bills held a short final practice today (over at 3:35 on a hot but breezy day with some clouds and a high of 84), and the most noteworthy thing was that WRs Stevie Johnson (17), Robert Woods (81) & TJ Graham (13) all wore the wrong uniforms on purpose. I am told they switched back, but did a double take.

Rumblings gave the 5 Winners (Hughes, Carrington, Goodwin, Blatnick, and Tuel) and the 5 Losers (Hairston, Searcy, Brad Smith, Kolb, and Rogers) of training camp. I'd agree with the Winners wholeheartedly, but disagree on the Losers. My list is Jairus Byrd (who has requested a trade as per Ed Werder---how about Guard Branden Albert? He's from Rochester), Nigel Bradham (nothing good happens after midnight), Brad Smith (nice guy and a veteran presence but that's all), Justin Rogers (whose hammy and the play of Butler has jeopardized his spot on the 53), and Alan Branch (load).

Period 4: DL is practicing swim, rip, and punch moves around each other as the O practices catching the long ball. Da'Rick had a nice one, Dickerson as well, but the best one that drew ahhh's from the crowd was Brandon Kaufman, who caught it one-handed. He's desperate to do everything he can to be one of the 61 (incl PS) that will still have uniforms after The Turk. Da'Rick's in the same boat. He even has his neon green shoes on. Stevie's in the slot, and Da'Rick and he crisscross and Rogers makes the catch on a nice pass from Kolb. Kolb hits Chandler down the middle and he's 2 for 2. Kolb hands off to Spiller for 4-5 up the gut, and Colin Brown and Wood get props. Easley makes a fine catch on a little comeback, nicely covered, and Kolb is 3 for 3. They put Hogan out wide on my side, but go Spiller up the middle, this time for no gain. Kolb steps up in the pocket, looks like he's going to run, and fires it to Chandler, who comes open on that Kolb fake. 4 for 4. Kolb fires it out quickly to Goodwin who's lined up on the right side. Two WRs crisscross on my side but --WOW--(today's Bam!) Kolb fires it to Spiller on the left side for a 25 yd. TD. Kolb was 6 for 6.

Tuel's turn. Dorin Dickerson runs a little slant-in on the left side, and Tuel hits him in stride. Graham and Woods are lined up on my side, Woods in the slot. Woods crosses Graham, and --WOW--Tuel drops it over the defender's head right to Woods' waiting hands with 2 steps to go until he's out of bounds. Tuel passes to TJ Graham over the middle and he's 3 for 3. You think the O is unstoppable, but --WOW--Kiko Alonso does a ILB blitz and sacks Tuel. Tuel is a fighter, and comes right back to TJ Graham on a crossing route, and he's 4 for 4. After a pass to Spiller that Spiller drops, Tuel finds DeMarco Sampson the left wideout over the middle, hitting him in stride and Sampson turns upfield. Tuel is 5 for 6.

Bills go back to Period 2, which is giving Powell a chance to drop the punt from the far 40 yard line in between the 5 yard line and the end zone. Long story short, they are successful on 3 of 6 attempts, with a --WOW-- to both Marquise Goodwin and Easley, who each kept one in play. Another went over Brooks and bounded into the end zone. He wouldv'e saved it if he were 7' tall. Later in practice, they repeat this exercise, and again, Powell and the punt team get 3 of 7 in the 5 yard area. Bad shank on one of the 7, and Brooks downed one inside the 5. Two bounced backwards from the 2.

On to Period 8. Kolb again. Da'Rick pulls in a nifty swing pass from Kolb, who's 7 for 7. They put Easley out wide on my side, but throw to Spiller who crosses the field for a good gain. Rogers and Stevie crisscross and Kolb hits Da'Rick on the out pass behind Stevie. Kolb is 9 for 9. Easley runs a seven-yard out and comes back for Kolb's pass (intentionally). 10 for 10. Goodwin follows suit on the other side, goes up 5-7 yards, catches it, and goes. Kolb runs up toward the line of scrimmage after his dropback and hits Kaufman. 12 for 12. He then throws a --WOW--45 -yarder right up the sideline to Goodwin. Kolb's next pass to Kaufman, covered by Jumal Rolle, doesn't net a pass interference call (the entire sideline I was on thought it was PI), and Kolb's string is broken at --WOW-- 13. Kolb finishes up with a 5-yarder to Gaskins (haven't said his name in awhile), and Kolb is 14 for 15 by my count (93% passing).

Tuel's in. After Credzon Butler's --WOW-- nifty breakup of passes to Hogan and Brad Smith, the 5-for-8 Tuel fires it to Brad Smith again on the far side, and he hangs on. McKelvin's back, as he breaks up Tuel's next pass (6 for 9), also to Brad Smith. If you're playing at home, Smith is 1 for 3. Graham's reception is broken up by Aaron Williams (?) on the far side, and Tuel is 6 for 10 against mainly ones. Undaunted, Tuel throws his --WOW--ball to TJ Graham for about 30 yards, and winds up with a determined catch by Hogan who's draped legally by Kip Edwards. 8 for 12 (66% passing) for Tuel.

Red Zone time. Kolb hands off to CJ for 5, has a pass broken up by Ron Brooks, then misses Stevie on a long one. Kolb hands it off to Choice for about 7, and it's goal to go from about the 8. You'd think pass, but Freddie waltzes in off the right side for a TD. They put the ball back on the 10, and Kolb hits Summers the FB for another TD. Kolb's 15 for 18 on the day (83%).

Ball is put on the 10 with 90 yards to go and 2:00 on the clock. Tuel makes a --WOW--throw and I don't have the WR's number for 40 yards. Gaskins carries for 5 more, Drew Smith's in motion, and Tuel hits him for 5 more. A toss sweep to Gaskins looks like he's stonewalled, so he reverses field for 10 yards, and now we're at the ~40 yard line. A crisp pass to Kevin Elliott (I didn't know he was back!). They run the 40 motion again, Tuel's holding on it too long, but steps up and hits Elliott again for another 10. ZBrown carries left side for not much. Gaskins runs right on a sweep for 6 yards. Tuel is 12 for 16 (75%).

The last 11 on 11: Ball on the 20, with 80 yards to go. I think there are 2 minutes on the game clock. Kolb has Easley split wide with Da'Rick in the slot, and hits Da'Rick, with decent coverage by Kip Edwards. 16 for 19. On the next play, Kolb doesn't get the ball far enough for Stevie speeding down the left side, and the ball falls behind WR and CB by at least 5 yards. 16 for 20 (80%). Kolb throws a slant-in to Da'Rick for 15 yards, and you feel as though they are testing the guy b/c it seems he's had the lion's share of the work. He's called by Kolb to the other side of the formation, but then they pass to FJ for a short gain. Kolb gets it the second time to --WOW-- Stevie J for 30 yards down to the 34 yard line. He's baaaack...19 for 23 (83%). Kolb passes to --who else? Da'Rick for 9 yards, and the completion gets them to the 25. Troup and Dowtin knife into the backfield and stop the ball carrier for 1 yard. Kolb throws the ball into the turf to stop the clock. Hopkins lines up for a 36 yarder, and you'll see the results of that play on Sat. night! Kolb ends up 20 for 25, 80% for the day.

Tuel's turn, and the ball is returned to the 20 with 80 to go, 2:00. He's with the 2's. Crezdon Butler is called for pass interference on Tuel's 15 yard pass to Hogan, and it was subtle but probably PI. Ball is on the 49 now after the 15 yard penalty. Tuel completes it to Gragg over the middle, but it's called back to the 49 (I think line movement). Tuel passes 20 yards to an invisible wide receiver, as there is no one within 15 yards of the spot. 12 for 17. Tuel completes one to Hogan on a crossing route, and timeout is called. Hackett gathers everyone around. The ball remains on the 49. Tuel's next long 25-yarder to Hogan would have been an INT but Crezdon Butler drops it. At least it's another PBU for Butler. He kneels and contemplates life. 13 for 19. Tuel's next pass would've been caught, should've been caught by Gragg. The practice ends with McKelvin's --WOW-- interception, and Tuel finishes 62% for the day at 13 for 21.

Edited by Astrobot

[will remove this when done writing]

The Bills held a short practice today (over at 3:35 on a hot but breezy day with some clouds and a high of 84), and the most noteworthy thing was that WRs Stevie Johnson (17), Robert Woods (81) & TJ Graham (13) all wore the wrong uniforms on purpose. I am told they switched back, but did a double take.

Rumblings gave the 5 Winners (Hughes, Carrington, Goodwin, Blatnick, and Tuel) and the 5 Losers (Hairston, Searcy, Brad Smith, Kolb, and Rogers). I'd agree with the Winners wholeheartedly, but disagree on the Losers. My list is Jairus Byrd (who has requested a trade), Nigel Bradham (nothing good happens after midnight), Brad Smith (nice guy and a veteran presence but that's all), Justin Rogers (whose hammy and the play of Butler has jeopardized his spot on the 53), and Alan Branch (load).

Period 4: DL is practicing swim, rip, and punch moves around each other as the O practices catching the long ball. Da'Rick had a nice one, Dickerson as well, but the best one that drew ahhh's from the crowd was Brandon Kaufman, who caught it one-handed. He's desperate to do everything he can to be one of the 61 (incl PS) that will still have uniforms after The Turk.

Whoa whoa, Byrd has requested a trade? Or requested a trade during negotiations? When did this come to light?

Ed Werder@Edwerderespn32m

Regarding Jarius Byrd: Acrimony remains, will take time to adjust to scheme, get in football shape, may even hope for eventual trade

By the way, Astro -- sounds like Wood and Brown are starting to jell, would you say?

Edited by Rubes

Seems like mostly speculation on Werder's tweet:

"Regarding Jarius Byrd: Acrimony remains, will take time to adjust to scheme, get in football shape, may even hope for eventual trade"

(But I am all for it if they get something good in return)

Do we even know that this is where Astro got this?