Bills lead league in penalties through first 2 preseason games

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/63115/doug-marrone-frustrated-by-bills-penalties

"I think people tend to look at the number at the end of the game. I tend to cut them all out and evaluate them all," Marrone said. "Was this forced by us just being aggressive? Is it a penalty forced on us not being focused? I think you have to manage those as a coach because you can overmanage a situation and lose that aggressiveness in a player."

Is this cause for concern, or do you think we'll have it under control by week 1?

I am not too concerned, and agree with the coach that the increase may be a result of being so aggressive. Being aggressive is terrific, and as they play they'll get a better handle on the penalties. I'd prefer to look at it as a healthy and aggressive attitude that needs a little fine tuning.

Marrone specifically spoke about this after practice yesterday (video and transcript of his press conference on bb.com). He's concerned but doesn't want to take away the players' aggressiveness. He specifically contrasted "playing through the ball" penalties with mental errors like offsides. I think it's being addressed with the players.

Marrone specifically spoke about this after practice yesterday (video and transcript of his press conference on bb.com). He's concerned but doesn't want to take away the players' aggressiveness. He specifically contrasted "playing through the ball" penalties with mental errors like offsides. I think it's being addressed with the players.

Yeah I remember watching the replay of Fridays game and seeing Marrone looking like his stomach was churning after the D got called for lining up offsides.

The Bills lead the NFL on number of plays as well. The more plays you run, the more potential there is for a penalty. Penalties are pretty arbitrarily called. If the refs wanted ton they can a penalty every play.

Good point. Lets see a breakdown of offense penalties per snap and defense and see how that compares.

I think there were a few real stupid penalties in the Minnesota game. Blocking in the back, lining up in the neutral zone, the non taunting call on Easley. Those should be cleaned up easy enough.

i agree with this, i think that the majority of these penalties should go away with time and experience. they seem to be mental errors and aggressive mistakes which should be highly correctable, we'll see how they progress.

I think there were a few real stupid penalties in the Minnesota game. Blocking in the back, lining up in the neutral zone, the non taunting call on Easley. Those should be cleaned up easy enough.

I didn't get the announcer's (Criqui?) defense of Easley. Seemed like a clear taunt to me; why did he stick his arm in the defender's face, signal first down, and drop the ball?

I didn't get the announcer's (Criqui?) defense of Easley. Seemed like a clear taunt to me; why did he stick his arm in the defender's face, signal first down, and drop the ball?

That was Steve Tasker. Loved him as a Bill, but man he sucks as a football analyst.

You're really going to have to learn to come out of your shell to express what you mean in a clear and unambiguous way. :lol:

It really bothers me, because I want to like the guy. But I'll be damned if just about every other thing out of his mouth doesn't leave me saying, "WTF Steve?"

Here's a breakdown from the Minnesota game:

Special teams

PENALTY on BUF-C.Hogan, Face Mask (15 Yards), 5 yards, enforced at BUF 11. Return credited for 0 yds

PENALTY on BUF, Illegal Block Above the Waist, 5 yards, enforced at BUF 10. Return credited to BUF 10 (spot of foul).

PENALTY on BUF-D.Ellis, Illegal Block Above the Waist, 10 yards, enforced at BUF 30.

Offense

PENALTY on BUF-S.Chandler, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at MIN 46 - No Play.

PENALTY on BUF-C.Brown, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at MIN 16.

PENALTY on BUF-M.Easley, Unsportsmanlike Conduct, 15 yards, enforced between downs.

PENALTY on BUF-A.Caldwell, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at BUF 30 - No Play.

PENALTY on BUF-S.Young, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at MIN 48 - No Play.

PENALTY on BUF, Offensive 12 On-field, 5 yards, enforced at MIN 45 - No Play.

Defense

PENALTY on BUF-N.Robey, Defensive Pass Interference, 10 yards, enforced at MIN 38 - No Play.

PENALTY on BUF-M.Lawson, Defensive Offside, 5 yards, enforced at BUF 41 - No Play.

PENALTY on BUF-A.Branch, Neutral Zone Infraction, 5 yards, enforced at MIN 17 - No Play.

PENALTY on BUF-N.Robey, Defensive Offside, 5 yards, enforced at MIN 20 - No Play.

Penalty on BUF-J.Rolle, Defensive Holding, declined.