I have only one issue with last night

They better start having EJ throw downfield more than 15 yards. Honest to God this is the same dink and dunk bull **** we have dealt with for years. I don't presume to know what the issue is. Are they afraid he can't do it? Is the OL so bad they feel he won't have the time? Regardless of what it is, it needs to be cured NOW.

That said.... Marrone, your BS 'competition' is over. Name EJ the starter.

They better start having EJ throw downfield more than 15 yards. Honest to God this is the same dink and dunk bull **** we have dealt with for years. I don't presume to know what the issue is. Are they afraid he can't do it? Is the OL so bad they feel he won't have the time? Regardless of what it is, it needs to be cured NOW.

That said.... Marrone, your BS 'competition' is over. Name EJ the starter.

You don't want to show TOO much in preseason. I have no problem with dinks and dunks. It works and that's what other teams will have to concentrate on.

To the short passing game, EJ's accuracy has been outstanding.

Captain Checkdown himself could never dream of throwing these "extended handoffs" the way EJ does.

Except for a few throws last week against Indy when he had "first game of his NFL career jitters," EJ was very accurate.

Last night he was much better and as I've mentioned before, his height, length, and athleticism allows him to place balls optimally that give his receivers run after the catch yards.

Because of his combination of size and athleticism, EJ gives himself many more passing lanes than do other QBs.

Only Cam Newton and Kaerpernick compare to him in this regard.

EJ can see the field whether stationary or on the move and he can deliver the ball.

You don't want to show TOO much in preseason. I have no problem with dinks and dunks. It works and that's what other teams will have to concentrate on.

Unfortunately it may be a detriment to not have him throw downfield in preseason and then try his first long pass against an NFL secondary when the games actually count.

To the short passing game, EJ's accuracy has been outstanding.

Captain Checkdown himself could never dream of throwing these "extended handoffs" the way EJ does.

Except for a few throws last week against Indy when he had "first game of his NFL career jitters," EJ was very accurate.

Last night he was much better and as I've mentioned before, his height, length, and athleticism allows him to place balls optimally that give his receivers run after the catch yards.

Because of his combination of size and athleticism, EJ gives himself many more passing lanes than do other QBs.

Only Cam Newton and Kaerpernick compare to him in this regard.

EJ can see the field whether stationary or on the move and he can deliver the ball.

Excellent analysis.

Be patient. You caught a glimpse of Hackett's O last week when he let Tuel air it out. I doubt we or the rest of the world will see EJ go long ball until the games really count. They're getting plenty of practice time playing long distance catch so their timing will be good. No sense unwrapping the mad bomber until Maronne uses it to club the Patsies* into submission in game 1.

Fitzpatrick went downfield, he just wasn't good at it.

I think we mean farther than 22 yards downfield.

Be patient. You caught a glimpse of Hackett's O last week when he let Tuel air it out. I doubt we or the rest of the world will see EJ go long ball until the games really count. They're getting plenty of practice time playing long distance catch so their timing will be good. No sense unwrapping the mad bomber until Maronne uses it to club the Patsies* into submission in game 1.

I think we mean farther than 12 yards downfield.

Fixed.

It's a funny issue in that Kolb was having a hard time completing dink and dunk passes last night.

We've seen the laser-guided rockets EJ threw to Dickerson last week and Kaufmann this week so we've gotten a glimpse of what EJ's capable of.

I'm happy to keep the downfield passing game under wraps for now.

Yeah, they're not going full out right now. They also probably want EJ to get some completions and build his confidence and get in a flow. All the practice videos show them airing it out, so I'm sure they're going to build up to that.

OP, Maybe you're unfamiliar with EJ's college career, but he was the same way in college. He threw short safe passes most of the time. He still averaged 8.7 YPA precisely because he does go deep, occasionally. Be patient. He'll open it up when it's there for the taking.

BTW. Brady won three Super Bowls by drinking and dunking his way down the field. Ever since he started going deep on the regular he stopped winning rings.

Just for the hell of it, can you name 3 teams that currently rely on the "vertical game?" It's as passe as leather helmets. Running the hurry-up offense, teams are much more reliant on quick,short passes that hit the receiver in stride. It's YAC that counts. Additionally, the quick count, quick short pass means the Oline doesn't have to protect nearly as long as they would have to with the 7 step drop that's usually needed for "the bomb."

That said, I think we will see the long ball several times a game because it loosens up the D & makes them indecisive. Because both EJ & Tuel can throw it deep & accurately, & because so many of the receivers are fast as hell, the D will be forced to defend the whole field pretty much all the time. This should have the added benefit of thinning out the box for the running game & the RB passing game. Now add to that EJ's ability to scoot at anytime & this offense has the potential to drive defenses nuts.

Tom Brady was known as a dink & dunk passer earlier in his career. You need to build a QB's confidence & allow them to get a rhythm. Then when the defense starts sitting on the short stuff, you beat them over the top.

Exactly... First sucker them in... Then burn them deep...

I think all of us are sleeping better just knowing that he has the ability to throw it downfield. Good grief fitz would make me tear my hair out with how badly he missed downfield. Just the fact that teams will have to respect the long ball is gonna help the running game, the slot guy, tight end. I've finally accepted the fact that quarterback is everything.

And yes I think it's time for coach to name ej the starter, although I think he will wait till next week.