Searcy is not getting it done...

I know it is just the second pre-season game, but Searcy just looks lost out there to me. Very slow to react and locate the play and we have been fortunate that everyone in front of him has been playing so well.

I wonder if he should be with the "1's", or if they should just go with a youth movement and try out one of the rooks to see if he can learn on the job?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Searcy is the perfect type of S to get up on the line like Scott. He is the one who you want to get in there and blitz, the one you want to let take the hits. Searcy is not a FS. He is not a SS much either. I see value in him but much like Sheppard I believe he is tradeable. He is a ST guy and a 2nd stringer.

Yeah, I was thinking this during the game. Every time the opponents complete a pass, I hear his name. In fact, I really don't remember him doing anything of note his entire career. I'd rather see some of the draft picks get a shot because Searcy is not starting caliber.

On a positive note, Aaron Williams looks like a natural at S.

So, when Byrd comes back, we move Williams? Forget the "depth charts" and the "interchangeable" way Pettine uses his safeties. The majority of plays so far this pre-season have Williams playing the more traditional free safety role, from where he lines up, to the depth of his drops while Searcy has been playing more of a strong safety role. Obviously, I'd have no problem having Byrd in Williams' slot, but I don't see Williams as a strong safety type, either. And I just can't see Byrd playing the Searcy role from what little I've seen of Pettine's schemes the first two games as it wouldn't be taking best advantage of his skill set.

GO BILLS!!!

Whhhhhaaaaaaaaat are you smoking

Williams is SS. Byrd FS. What you are seeing is Pettines system. A system where the SS doesn't put run as high of priority as a traditional D. He is more a middle field zone guy. Destroy anything there with the ball. That's why we see Williams doing so well here. The player Williams is doing well because he does not have yo rely on his speed and can use his time to follow the path of the ball. He has played against 1 QB who is good but young behind a OL that underpwrormed. And the other QB was Ponder. He had all the time in the world to play well.

Whhhhhaaaaaaaaat are you smoking

Williams is SS. Byrd FS. What you are seeing is Pettines system. A system where the SS doesn't put run as high of priority as a traditional D. He is more a middle field zone guy. Destroy anything there with the ball. That's why we see Williams doing so well here. The player Williams is doing well because he does not have yo rely on his speed and can use his time to follow the path of the ball. He has played against 1 QB who is good but young behind a OL that underpwrormed. And the other QB was Ponder. He had all the time in the world to play well.

I'm just looking at what side of the field they are lining up on (strong or weak) and the depth at the snap and of their drops. From the looks of it, Williams is more of the traditional free safety, while Searcy is being used as more of a strong both in terms of where he lines up and who he is covering, which has been the TEs which, AGAIN, is a more of a traditional strong safety responsibility.

If Pettine ends up using what he has in the past, I gotta believe he wants Byrd as his center fielder which means Williams will be more of a SS cover guy and I'm not convinced he's fit for covering the bigger TEs on a regular basis. Not saying he can't, just that I've seen little evidence of it so far.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm just looking at what side of the field they are lining up on (strong or weak) and the depth at the snap and of their drops. From the looks of it, Williams is more of the traditional free safety, while Searcy is being used as more of a strong both in terms of where he lines up and who he is covering, which has been the TEs which, AGAIN, is a more of a traditional strong safety responsibility.

If Pettine ends up using what he has in the past, I gotta believe he wants Byrd as his center fielder which means Williams will be more of a SS cover guy and I'm not convinced he's fit for covering the bigger TEs on a regular basis. Not saying he can't, just that I've seen little evidence of it so far.

GO BILLS!!!

I'll rewatch. You're a good poster with cred. I want to take another look

I'll rewatch. You're a good poster with cred. I want to take another look

Like I said, I've only seen a game and a quarter and maybe I'm off base here, too. Bottom line is, when Byrd comes back he has to be what Williams is right now, whatever that is in Pettine's scheme. I'm not convinced Williams can easily transition to what Searcy has shown me so far. Hell, Searcy hasn't transitioned himself.

GO BILLS!!!

I haven't been paying close attention but I agree with K-9's impressions of where the safeties are lining up.

I wonder if their duties are being divided conventionally (non-Pettine-wise) for the very reason that Pettine can't use Searcy interchangeably?

On a related note I know Duke Williams got some first team snaps in practice this past week and I wonder if he'll leapfrog Searcy at some point soon.

If that were to happen it seems like Pettine would be able to use his safeties interchangeably as Williams is a far superior athlete to Searcy IMO.

We'd have two Williamses starting on the D-line and two Williamses at safety.

Do we need another nickname for this defense?

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Hey don't worry, safeties are plug-n-play. Just like guards!

The Bills' "leverage" will be disappearing... Talk to the man, make some promises, sign a good faith one year deal worth a bit more than the tag value, and get the guy in here to work.

Can't get more then the tag at this point, its the tag or he sits

Hey don't worry, safeties are plug-n-play. Just like guards!

The Bills' "leverage" will be disappearing... Talk to the man, make some promises, sign a good faith one year deal worth a bit more than the tag value, and get the guy in here to work.

Or the leverage returns at the end of the season when they can Draft a Safety high should they wish...

And I thought Bryd could only play for the Tag money after the deadline?

The following is just my opinion...

In no way do I want the Bills to give up any of their rights where Byrd or his jackass agent are concerned...They need to assure they can tag him next season in order to work out a trade and get something back for him...I'm all but certain he's done as a Buffalo Bill after this year anyway...Better to assure they get something in return...And basically that's why his jackass agent has him holding out still...They want the Bills to waive their right to tag him next year...Which means the Bills get nothing in return when Bryd does exactly what he's wanted to do all along, and walks... B-)

Can't get more then the tag at this point, its the tag or he sits

Respectfully, I'm not sure that's correct. He can't be offered a multi-year deal at this point, but he could be offered a 1 yr deal at a higher price or with special clauses if the team considered that to their benefit. Rumor has it Parker is seeking a clause prohibiting the Bills from tagging Byrd next year.