Why EJ isnt the starter just yet

djp14150

You have to remember EJ is still young and he didnt light up the colts starters. I would be more comfortable if Buffalo wasnt playing New England to open the season.

You dont want to sacrifice such an important game to a season because you have a rookie starting.

Kolb started last year at NE and won which should not be ignored.

Need to compare apples to apples----both teams were WC teams last year so their defense are close comparisons

EJs first 5 possessions against IND:

1-2 -6

0-0 fumble on the handoff charged to EJ

2-5 25 ran 24 produced a FG

1-2 7

2-3 13 produced a FG (off a turnover in IND territory)

total: 6-12 39 ran for 24 caused a turnover

Kolb first 5 possessions against MIN:

0-1

0-1 threw an INT

1-2 10 ran for 7

0-2

7-8 49 FG

total: 8-14 59 ran for 7 caused a turnover

EJs total numbers are better because he played against the 2nd and 3rd stringers from mid 2nd-3rd quarter in both games.

What I could see them doing instead next week is give both QBs a chance to play with the first unit. This is the fairest way I think you could evaluate their performance. What matters most isn't practice,... but how a game is handled.

The way to do that is alternate the QB over the first 8-10 possessions.

I wouldn't be surprised if the team doesnt announce who the starting QB is thus forcing New England to plan for both.

I wouldn't be surprised they name Kolb the starting QB just for that game, but still plan on putting EJ in there either on a new series of downs or on new possessions. Sort of like a Woodley/Strock situation in Miami.

Edited by djp14150

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really getting tired of the media once again trying to stir something up when there is nothing there to stir. Marrone has not only exhibited integrity since he's been here, he's also been very transparent in terms of his plans. This was meant to be a competition, and with that comes a prescribed period of time during which the competition will take place and allow the staff to make the best decision moving forward. I love that EJ is playing well, but as Marrone said recently, "just because the plan is working doesn't mean I'm going to abandon it". There was clearly never any intention to take away Kolb's opportunity to start a preseason game just because EJ lit it up, or vice versa, and I'm glad we have a coach who follows through on his word. By the time he makes his decision, there will be enough evidence where he'll have a clear idea as to what is best for the team moving forward. But I think I heard like three media people today saying that people were dumbfounded as to why Marrone didn't give EJ the start against the Vikes tonight...are these morons even paying attention?

Edited by ajzepp

It doesn't take a minute of game time further to know that Kolb should never a start a game in the NFL for any team for any reason.

I'm not saying the EJ has proven he is starter quality.

I'm saying that Kolb has proven he can't play in the NFL through his career and through last nights first quarter.

Fitzy>Tuel>Kolb

For me if it is remotely close it should go to the rookie. I don't think Kolb has done anything to show that he is a vastly superior option to EJ.

It isn't close and heavily skewed in EJ's favor. Which is why the decision by Marrone to not name a starter is really pissing me off.

If you allow yourself to believe in this team and coaching staff, you'll drop the day-to-day/possession-to-possession analysis, accept they are not playoff talent right now, accept that another loss to the Pats won't ruin the season, and hopefully watch a strong team emerge due to being managed in the bigger picture. Then, the playoffs might actually become possible with a late season run.

When I watch Klob, he reminds me of a little less confident Ryan Fitzpatrick -- he'll make some nice throws, he'll make some poor throws, he's athletic enough to move when he has to. But he just does't have that gunslinger mentality that make under-skilled NFL quarterbacks serviceable. Kolb is a career backup, so keep him there.

Kolb was much worse than his stats suggest. He was locking on to receivers and throwing them slow balls into coverage, setting them up for failure. Almost had the pick 6. Nearly half of his passes were tipped at the line. Replace Kolb now.

Edited by mountainwampus

For me if it is remotely close it should go to the rookie. I don't think Kolb has done anything to show that he is a vastly superior option to EJ.

If we are going to stumble which we will lets do it with the Rook & get it out of his system just don't pull a Mike Mularkey & pull him every time he plays bad !1

I still think with the tools JP had if he would have had a better coach or coaches teaching him he COULD HAVE been a better QB than what he turned out to be ...

And i would hate to see that same thing happen to EJ !!

I agree, but one half of one preseason game is nearly meaningless, and those who were calling for EJ to just be named the starter after such a limited amount of playing time are likely the very same people who will be doing a 180 should Kolb play solid ball in the next two games and EJ start crapping the bed.

At this point I'm loving what I'm seeing out of EJ, as well, but Marrone set up a competition and seeing it through is the best way to be certain he's in a position to make the best decision for the team.

EJ has looked better in practices, training camp and games and in many cases so has Tuel...

Not sure what else needs to be said...EJ has clearly and resoundingly outplayed Kolb to this point all things considered...

If Kolb starts then we lose the game anyway so start EJ. Pointless to even keep talking about this. Excuses are like bad QBs and the Bills don't need anymore of either.

http://www.sherv.net/cheering.clapping-emoticon-3289.html

Sorry, tried to paste a clapping emoticon, but it just did the link. Emoticons on my iPad just aren't showing up.

Nicely stated, MLS!

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

You have to remember EJ is still young and he didnt light up the colts starters. I would be more comfortable if Buffalo wasnt playing New England to open the season.

You dont want to sacrifice such an important game to a season because you have a rookie starting.

Kolb started last year at NE and won which should not be ignored.

Need to compare apples to apples----both teams were WC teams last year so their defense are close comparisons

EJs first 5 possessions against IND:

1-2 -6

0-0 fumble on the handoff charged to EJ

2-5 25 ran 24 produced a FG

1-2 7

2-3 13 produced a FG (off a turnover in IND territory)

total: 6-12 39 ran for 24 caused a turnover

Kolb first 5 possessions against MIN:

0-1

0-1 threw an INT

1-2 10 ran for 7

0-2

7-8 49 FG

total: 8-14 59 ran for 7 caused a turnover

EJs total numbers are better because he played against the 2nd and 3rd stringers from mid 2nd-3rd quarter in both games.

What I could see them doing instead next week is give both QBs a chance to play with the first unit. This is the fairest way I think you could evaluate their performance. What matters most isn't practice,... but how a game is handled.

The way to do that is alternate the QB over the first 8-10 possessions.

I wouldn't be surprised if the team doesnt announce who the starting QB is thus forcing New England to plan for both.

I wouldn't be surprised they name Kolb the starting QB just for that game, but still plan on putting EJ in there either on a new series of downs or on new possessions. Sort of like a Woodley/Strock situation in Miami.

What you should be looking at is the difference between Kolb and Manuel. That was Manuel's first time trotting out onto a football field, not even at home, in the NFL. Kolb's been in the league for 6 prior seasons and has 21 NFL starts under his belt.

Kolb's stats yesterday were miserable with a YPA of barely more than 4. That's Holcomb/Edwards-like.

It's quite clear that Manuel has a much higher ceiling, so the only smart move is to start Manuel. Every start that Kolb gets is one less game for Manuel to play in to prepare him for next season.

Believe me, I'm far from ready to annoint Manuel the Bills' best QB since Kelly at this point, but it makes no sense whatsoever to start Kolb under any circumstances besides injury to Manuel.

EJ has looked better in practices, training camp and games and in many cases so has Tuel...

Not sure what else needs to be said...EJ has clearly and resoundingly outplayed Kolb to this point all things considered...

Not according to Marrone and Hackett. Every quote I've seen of them indicated it was a dead heat and they were waiting for one of the two to "separate themselves". That may very well be happening as we speak, and that's exciting...but I have never seen anyone on the team actually say that EJ has been clearly better during practice/scrimmages.

It isn't close and heavily skewed in EJ's favor. Which is why the decision by Marrone to not name a starter is really pissing me off.

Made for media. He's hedging in case Manuel doesn't impress. Can't blame him there, any sensible coach does the same thing.

They'll announce that Manuel will start the season after the next preseason game has been my thinking.