Aaron Williams: Free or Strong

Mark Vader

When, not if, Jairus Byrd returns to the Bills, how will this affect the status of Aaron Williams?

Does Williams become our starting Strong Safety or does he become a back-up to Byrd, or does he play in nickel & dime situations?

The thought of DaNorris Searcy being our starting SS has me nervous.

Thoughts?

If we are to trust the posted depth chart, I think it answers this question. Aaron Williams is listed as the starting SS, and Jairus Byrd is listed as the starting FS, with Searcy as his backup. I also think that, minus Byrd of course, this has been how they have been lining up in training camp: Aaron Williams at strong, and Searcy at free.

If we are to trust the posted depth chart, I think it answers this question. Aaron Williams is listed as the starting SS, and Jairus Byrd is listed as the starting FS, with Searcy as his backup. I also think that, minus Byrd of course, this has been how they have been lining up in training camp: Aaron Williams at strong, and Searcy at free.

Yep.

I think Searcy is a good player, has some real NFL game experience at SS and has shown some good awareness out there.

They are both explosive hitters.

The upside to Byrd sitting out is that Aaron is getting excellent experience back there, and it will help him a lot in this interchangeable defense. The guy will have experience at corner, FS and SS when the real bullets fly. Not many NFL players--if any--can make that claim.

I think Searcy is a good player, has some real NFL game experience at SS and has shown some good awareness out there.

They are both explosive hitters.

Searcy is a physical player, no doubt.

I haven't seen where he shows much in the way of ball skills or range yet but he's only really starting out.

What ??!!! A Black Man cant be both Strong AND Free in this country??

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Williams and Searcy are both big hitters, a sign that they both are best at SS.

When, not if, Jairus Byrd returns to the Bills, how will this affect the status of Aaron Williams?

Does Williams become our starting Strong Safety or does he become a back-up to Byrd, or does he play in nickel & dime situations?

The thought of DaNorris Searcy being our starting SS has me nervous.

Thoughts?

Probably at Strong, but Pettine will figure it out. Just Sign Byrd already!!! Sick of the crap!

Ballhawk types who can cover better are usually the free. One thing I question with the new scheme is that they do have corners one on one w/o help over the top, you need a good 2nd do do that. I really have my doubts that McKelvin will ever be able to do that...makes me nervous. Camp battles for that spot are incredibly important this year.

I am also of the opinion that maybe this is part of why they are not that worried about Byrd flying the proverbial coup. The safety position is more plug and play in this system and yes they would be able to switch. I just want to add that it also makes sense to do it this way, with the spread and run option thing, you kind of want small LBs who are good at tackling and very good coverage is more of a bonus.

Probably at Strong, but Pettine will figure it out. Just Sign Byrd already!!! Sick of the crap!

I think that Byrd is the one who needs to sign, until the offseason the clubs hands are tied since July 15th. Get INTO camp already! As a not so wise Sapp said.

Edited by bowery4