85 Plays on Sunday!

BisonMan

The Bills fast-snap offense ran 85 offensive plays according to the box score. To put this in perspective, that's ~30% more plays than the Colts. The Pats led the league last year with an average of 74.3 plays per game in 2012. Chip Kelly's fast-paced Philly offense was similar this week with 86 plays. The Pats ran 72 plays this week.

What's overlooked in this on TV is the effect this many plays has on the development of young players, particularly QBs. EJ getting 30% more snaps than a QB on a typical 2012 team is important. With young receivers and a young QB, this type of offense should help them mature more quickly. Over the course of a season, that would translate to more than 4 extra games worth of experience.

Thoughts?

EdW

Edited by BisonMan

The Bills fast-snap offense ran 85 offensive plays according to the box score. To put this in perspective, that's ~30% more plays than the Colts. The Pats led the league last year with an average of 74.3 plays per game in 2012. Chip Kelly's fast-paced Philly offense was similar this week with 86 plays. The Pats ran 72 plays this week.

What's overlooked in this on TV is the effect this many plays has on the development of young players, particularly QBs. EJ getting 30% more snaps than a QB on a typical 2012 team is important. With young receivers and a young QB, this type of offense should help them mature more quickly. Over the course of a season, that would translate to more than 4 extra games worth of experience.

Thoughts?

EdW

Do you have the statistics on how many plays per game other teams ran this week, or last pre-season? It's certainly possible that teams simply run significantly more play per game in the pre-season, as the goal is getting experience through snaps, not winning the game.

Do you have the statistics on how many plays per game other teams ran this week, or last pre-season? It's certainly possible that teams simply run significantly more play per game in the pre-season, as the goal is getting experience through snaps, not winning the game.

I would put money on the fact that no teams last year or this year other than the Bills and Eagles ran over 80 offensive plays.

This is a new trend and there are 3 teams at the forefront. The Cheatriots***, The Bills, and the Eagles.

To the OP's question, the Bills have been practicing this way too. So the extra snaps that accelerate the development of the younger players is happening in practice too, not just in games.

I think you'll see more and more teams head down this road.

I would put money on the fact that no teams last year or this year other than the Bills and Eagles ran over 80 offensive plays.

This is a new trend and there are 3 teams at the forefront. The Cheatriots***, The Bills, and the Eagles.

To the OP's question, the Bills have been practicing this way too. So the extra snaps that accelerate the development of the younger players is happening in practice too, not just in games.

I think you'll see more and more teams head down this road.

You owe me ten billion internet dollars.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/stats/teamsort/NFL/T-TYDSG/2013/pre?&_3:col_1=6

The Saints ran 83 plays in Week One of the preseason.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/stats/teamsort/NFL/T-TYDSG/2012/regular?&_3:col_1=6

Detroit ran nearly 74 plays per game over the course of last season. Digging up an individual game with 80+ plays would take some time, but I'd also wager that they, at some point, ran over 80 plays per game.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/plays-per-game

It looks like Denver and Indianapolis ran 80+ plays in at least one game last year; I would guess that a few other teams did, too.

That being said, you are certainly right that Buffalo, Philadelphia, and N.E. are running light-speed offenses. It appears that the Saints plan to as well, and you can probably add more teams to that list.

Thoughts?

EdW

I doesn't matter. Pre-season is meaningless, therefore all else is meaningless.

After at least four regular season games it will be more legitimate.

85 plays with a rookie-laden roster and no false start or illegal motion penalties (that I can recall). That's really something, and further supports what many of us have posted in other threads about the fact this Bills team looked organized and prepared. Just amazing to see that sort of crispness in the first preseason game.

4 extra games of experience, however 4 extra games to get injured in for the offense.

Stop. Just stop for a moment and think about the specific situation. This is a team with a lot of rookies most notably at Quarterback. Even the best athletes in this sport have to learn

the pro game by doing it. Together. As a team. The best experience comes from actual game play. Injuries occur all the time. This is a violent sport. But they happen in practice not just in games and scrimmages. They happen walking to the field next door (see Kolb). What's truly important is not to avoid injuries at all costs. It's to prepare the team for "battle" (as Marrone put it so eloquently when discussing the home opener with a fan a few weeks ago). Last Sunday's game made the Bills better due to repetitive practice against an opponent trying to stop them.

I say, way to go boys! Now, get out there and do it again. And again. And again. And..... :D

85 plays with a rookie-laden roster and no false start or illegal motion penalties (that I can recall). That's really something, and further supports what many of us have posted in other threads about the fact this Bills team looked organized and prepared. Just amazing to see that sort of crispness in the first preseason game.

And yet, Coach called out the few penalties we did have in his presser with a sternness that 'we have to work on this'. Amazing!

And yet, Coach called out the few penalties we did have in his presser with a sternness that 'we have to work on this'. Amazing!

There were a couple of holds on the OL, but the rest of the penalties were on defense or ST I think.

There were a couple of holds on the OL, but the rest of the penalties were on defense or ST I think.

Offense

1 false start (Pears)

3 holding (none by starters)

Defense

1 Off-sides

1 Holding

1 Taunting (doh!)

Special Teams

1 Block in the back

1 Unnecessary Roughness (Goodwin! I like him more now)

Overall, 4 offensive penalties on 85 plays. Only one was by a starter. That's pretty good.

Here are the stats on this: http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/plays-per-game

It looks like 3 teams (NE, Indy and Denver) all had more than 80 plays in their last game of the season.

The pop-gun Bills averaged near the bottom at 61.4 plays per game.

Thoughts?

EdW

I think you are hitting the strategic nail right on the head and not only for games. The high tempo and increase in reps is good for conditioning, it's good for execution, it's good for everything.

It also seemed that it transcends the depth chart well also as our scrubs dominated Indy's scrubs and looked MUCH better prepared, organized and disciplined.

The colts looked tired by the end of the game. Tuel was going against some tired defenses. That is what is going to happen. These defenses are going to be worn out.

One of the Bills players called this out in an interview - we could feel the other team getting worn down.

Who knows what'll happen during the season, but this conditioning and fast paced practice sure cant hurt!