Does anybody else think that Kolb could be a surprise cut

bufffan031

Kolb has fell far behind over the last week and when he has been in practice he has not played well. Ej and Tuel have been doing very well in practice and Ej has pulled ahead of Kolb so far for the starting roll. With Ej starting this week and Tuel being the second qb out, they both have a chance to take the top two qb jobs and run with them if they play very well. If Kolb comes out with the third stringers and doesn't play well and is continually bad in practice, I think its a possibility he could be among the final cuts that doesn't make the roster. I don't think its to likely that we go into the season with two rookie qb's but I wouldn't rule it out either.

Kevin Kolb .... zzzzz...... now there's a guy who will sell some tickets..... not.. he's a big Fitz, but can't cut him now. Never get anyone else up to speed in time. One stinky vet, two promising rookies, that's about right for an expansion team

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kolb's contract is structured for him to be the backup and that is exactly what he will be.

Agreed. That same contract mitigates the cost of cutting him at practically any time too, so while I don't expect it, it's not totally out of the question that he could be cut

Tuel will have a great opportunity today to unseat Kolb as the backup. He's probably going to play most of the game. I think at this point it's less of a competition between EJ and Kolb than it is Kolb vs Tuel. If Tuel plays well today then I think this thread will get a lot more popular

I don't see him being cut. Would be to ballsy a move for a rookie HC. If EJ gets hurt early on and all Marrone has is Tuel, he's cooked.

I say they keep all 3.

In all honesty if EJ gets hurt Marrone is "cooked" no matter what. BUT... Yes I would rather keep all three.

Edited by Meatloaf Sandwich

In all honesty if EJ gets hurt Marrone is "cooked" no matter what. BUT... Yes I would rather keep all three.

Struggling with a vet because he's simply the best you had available is acceptable to most. Struggling with a UDFA because you cut everyone else for no apparent reason is a much more harshly judged situation.

Struggling with a vet because he's simply the best you had available is acceptable to most. Struggling with a UDFA because you cut everyone else for no apparent reason is a much more harshly judged situation.

Yea, if I was a player then I agree I would rather have the Vet b.c he might give the better chance to win.

As a fan if the season is lost I would like to see the rookie b.c in the end it will come down to draft spot for next year. (Edit) but like I said I still would have Kolb on the team. He is cheaper since he wouldn't start.

Edited by Meatloaf Sandwich

No one thinks we are gonna make the playoffs this season anyway, does it really matter to have Fitz part II as even a third string. If Kolb doesn't play well in practice and these preseason games I wouldn't be against cutting him

Ever consider the fact that you might need a competent QB to evaluate the rest of the talent on the offense, and that if EJ gets hurt you're talking about being limited to a street FA or a rookie UDFA? There is intangible value associated with having a Vet backup who knows the offense. Also, NO NFL coach goes into a season telling his men that they don't have a chance at the playoffs, and the first one that does will lose his team and his job. It's one reason that Mularkey lost his team in accepting that implicit message when he started Losman.

Let EJ earn it, and meanwhile have a quality backup plan in case of injury. No matter how good Tuel looks the odds are extremely low that he is ready to be the only plan B.

I've mentioned this several times. Put, lets put it in perspective. We're down to final cuts, EJ clearly above Kolb, Tuel looking like Frank Reich. Do you want to keep Kevin Kolb over:

Arthur Moats?

Many Lawson?

Bryan Scott?

Brad Smith?

Lee Smith?

Chris Gragg?

Chris White?

Mike Caussin?

Nick Provo?

Dorin Dickerson*?

Kourtney Brown?

OL Player X?

*listed at WR

Ever consider the fact that you might need a competent QB to evaluate the rest of the talent on the offense, and that if EJ gets hurt you're talking about being limited to a street FA or a rookie UDFA? There is intangible value associated with having a Vet backup who knows the offense. Also, NO NFL coach goes into a season telling his men that they don't have a chance at the playoffs, and the first one that does will lose his team and his job. It's one reason that Mularkey lost his team in accepting that implicit message when he started Losman.

Let EJ earn it, and meanwhile have a quality backup plan in case of injury. No matter how good Tuel looks the odds are extremely low that he is ready to be the only plan B.

Beyond that. If EJ gets injured you need a quality backup for the reason that your young talent will not develop with a scrub QB coming in to fill in. Kolb is better then Tuel, I have little doubt there. But, Tuel is still a good QB who can be developed. I'd rather have Kolb coming in and helping our young guys develop at that point then have Tuel coming in new to develop the players.

I do not know how durable EJ is, but I suspect it will not matter. He is a big dude who can take some hits. But, big dudes do not always heal that quick.

I think it's improbable, but not impossible. I think the staff will keep the two guys who they feel are best suited for the job. If Kolb can't get healthy, or really struggles leading up to the regular season, and EJ/Tuel look better against comparable competition, it could happen. That being said, I expect Kolb to stay on, and Tuel to find himself on the PS.

Ever consider the fact that you might need a competent QB to evaluate the rest of the talent on the offense, and that if EJ gets hurt you're talking about being limited to a street FA or a rookie UDFA? There is intangible value associated with having a Vet backup who knows the offense. Also, NO NFL coach goes into a season telling his men that they don't have a chance at the playoffs, and the first one that does will lose his team and his job. It's one reason that Mularkey lost his team in accepting that implicit message when he started Losman. Let EJ earn it, and meanwhile have a quality backup plan in case of injury. No matter how good Tuel looks the odds are extremely low that he is ready to be the only plan B.

This is one of the best posts in this topic.

You need a good baseline performance, a floor performance in order for the rest of the team to function properly and be evaluated properly.

Everyone's getting a bit ahead of themselves with Jeff Tuel. Would it be a surprise if he outperformed some of the drafted QBs from his class? No.

But he's still an undrafted free agent and people are not being realistic in their views of him, IMO.

I agree that the Bills will not go into the season with two rookie QBs on the roster and no one else.

But that doesn't mean Kolb doesn't get cut. As we get closer and closer to the regular season, we'll see known QBs become unemployed. If Kolb continues to struggle, he could get cut in favor of another experienced QB.

I don't think this is likely because Kolb knows Bills offense and Hackett has a particularly philosophy and scheme he's trying to implement. He may rather stick with the guy who understands his system than try to break in someone new just weeks before the opener (even if this guy is destined to be a back up).

I try to always be realistic so my pre-preseason views of the Brad Smith, Kevin Kolb, and Jeff Tuel situations are grounded in caution and conventional thinking.

I felt before the game that Brad Smith would make the team, and that Kevin Kolb could never be cut.

I'm currently re-evaluating those opinions.

I think Kolb will still make the roster but I'm leaning away from Brad Smith making the team now that I've actually seen some of the youngsters play.

And yes, Easley is looking more and more like "found money."

I try to always be realistic so my pre-preseason views of the Brad Smith, Kevin Kolb, and Jeff Tuel situations are grounded in caution and conventional thinking.

I felt before the game that Brad Smith would make the team, and that Kevin Kolb could never be cut.

I'm currently re-evaluating those opinions.

I think Kolb will still make the roster but I'm leaning away from Brad Smith making the team now that I've actually seen some of the youngsters play.

And yes, Easley is looking more and more like "found money."

Man, I couldn't be more on the same page as you. I also thought the same. However, Easley looked like a real pro today. Tuel seemed to take the challenge on with confidence and poise. What I once believed to be a non-option seems to be creeping more and more into reality. Can't wait to see how it shakes out. Kudos to those who may have foreseen this.

If we do cut Kolb, it's guarenteed to pick up a QB of the wire. Now it becomes interesting...