Injuries and Pace

Living down by Philadelphia, there were some articles in local papers when Chip Kelly was first hired concerning how a heightened pace might lead to more injuries, simply by forcing the players to endure a significantly increased number of hits by running more plays over the course of the season. There is a difference between lining up fast to limit defensive substitutions, as distinguished from snapping the ball quickly.

Also wondering whether the current rash of injuries this week might be exacerbated by the pace of running plays in training camp, without sufficient recovery time for the players' bodies day-to-day, as well as exposing them to an increased number of "thuds" per practice. Something to watch for over the next few years, both in training camp and in the season.

Will this style ultimately prove counter-productive?

Edited by bookeredgerson

I keep hearing this stuff and It didn't hurt the Cowboys under JJ, it didn't hurt the Redskins, Giants or even Niners and they won superbowls while Camp Marv got his ass handed to him in superbowls. If players are that brittle these days, go play badmitton or something. I mean this last CBA pussified the Offseason and Training camps badly as is.

Nick Saban at 'Bama is crying about this as well. The counter argument, of course, is that the players are in better shape and have better conditioning. Plus, there's no conclusive evidence of which I'm aware that proves more injuries are resulting in games involving teams who are up tempo and run more plays.

I keep hearing this stuff and It didn't hurt the Cowboys under JJ, it didn't hurt the Redskins, Giants or even Niners and they won superbowls while Camp Marv got his ass handed to him in superbowls. If players are that brittle these days, go play badmitton or something. I mean this last CBA pussified the Offseason and Training camps badly as is.

Yes, this is why they lost the SBs. :wallbash:

Or, more plays means better fitness and less injuries.

The Bills and Philly are using uptempo practice styles.

Small sample size of course but has either team been wracked with injuries?

The eagles, worse than most, no? And were only a week in so I'd say either way we don't know. At this level with more games than college, and bigger hits than college, I know I'd be atleast a bit worried - there's uptempo and there's pedal to the metal which it seems the eagles are pushing more than we are.

Realistically though, even if the conditioning makes you slightly less likely to be injured any given play.... That reduction is spread across many more plays (ie the returns on the positive are diminished)... And fitness doesn't save you from traumatic injuries like concussions...

Until someone produces numbers, "fitness!" doesnt do it for me. Could be completely wrong but I'm trusting my gut on this one.

(Not meant aggressively in the slightest, though it may read that way)

Edited by NoSaint

I just don't see this direct correlation everyone makes between up tempo and more plays. Downside of this is when they go three and out. Opponent grinds out a ten minute drive then they go three and out again. I remember when the k gun was off and it really sucks to watch. Moving the ball equals more plays.

You're going to have to explain this one to me. Did JJ run an uptempo offense? I don't recall that. The Giants when they beat the Bills in the SB were ground and pound heavy running time consuming, keep the K-Gun off the field offense. The Bills were the ones doing up tempo back then with the no huddle K-Gun.

Seems like a lot of injuries are tears and stuff. Torn ACL, rotator cuff, etc. My theories on these injuries is it's all the "supplements" and advanced weight training. Of course it could also be that they don't practice very much and they never practice tackling or taking hits.

I agree on your take of the latest CBA practice rules.

I think the increased practice reps won't have a negative effect given that the players and training staff are properly taking care their bodies. This might mean shorter practices during the week or less practice reps for more veteran guys. Along with proper nutrition, I think that pace is not the issue. Marrone has shown an understanding with this concept by cutting most practices shorter than anticipated. It doesn't worry me but it is definitely something I will keep an eye on throughout the season.

potentially

over the long haul, i feel pretty confident that more plays, and more hits, more plants and cuts, more chances for landing awkwardly, more everything... result in my punishment of the body and more injuries.